Hostile environment at Metlife

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Sep 20, 2023.

?

Should Metlife be a hostile environment for a young QB, even if he makes early mistakes vs the Pats?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Should a backup QB face a hostile environment in Metlife, even if this backup QB makes an early mistake against Bill Belichek and the Patriots?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

your question is hard to answer because its beating around the bush a little. Are you asking should we boo Zach Wilson if he makes a mistake?

Leicester Jet, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

No, I'll never understand this mindset. Why would fans boo our starting QB? You all think Tim Boyle, with no practice reps with the 1's all week, is going to come in and do any better?? Or Randall Cobb? Think he's going to come in and light up BB and the Pats D after not playing QB since college?

I get it, most people are convinced Zach isn't going to be good anymore, I even fall in that camp now, but the other options for this week are even worse. Be loud when the Pats are on defense but support the hell out of this young man when the Jets have the ball. Anything else is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

cval, Jojo, mattyd99 and 13 others like this.
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Everyone will (or should) be supportive of Zach when the game starts. If it is going well then that will continue. If not, then the boo-birds will be out in full force. Everyone knows this is how it will go.

SOJAZ, Centiment and Cman68 like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think if you paid for the seat you can cheer or jeer however you want

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think it's every fan's right to boo bad play, but to go there with the mindset that you're going to boo a player incessantly right out of the gate, no matter what disqualifies that person as a fan.

I think New Yorkers could be a bit more forgiving than they are, but you can't legislate that, it's really part of what makes New York what it is: very demanding, and you either rise up to that or get beaten down by it.

Jojo, rscherwin, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

As unlikely as I think it is, I'm rooting for him to succeed and I don't think being met with boos is going to help that

burf, rscherwin, BacktoQueens and 6 others like this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe get a guy outfront selling paperbags with Zach's likeness on one side. Zach is not some tender child that has To be cuddled and loved...Right???

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Hold the BOOOOOOs until the 4th qtr..... if said QB / team is still stinkin' it up at that stage... bombs away.

10. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

if jets or zw or anyone on the team plays like shit, they deserved to be booed. it is not like people are going there for free. it is up to them.

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Totally fine with booing at this point. Zach is now going on year 3 of being one of the worst QBs in football. The constant coddling is embarrassing.

As far as I'm concerned, Saleh and Douglas are the target of those boos as much as Zach is. He should not be the Jets starting QB right now, and every snap he plays is an indictment on the front office.

I think this will be his last week as starting QB if we see another multi turnover game with a 50% completion.

SOJAZ, Centiment and Cman68 like this.
  12. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Can't tell other people how they should feel. Personally I would never boo an individual player for not being successful on the field. But I could imagine being there and feeling very frustrated if things are going badly into the second half, and maybe booing at some point-- not an individual player ideally but, say, when the offense is coming off the field after another 3-and-out, something like that. It's understandable, I wouldn't fault anyone for that. But abusing an individual, taunting them by name, etc., nah that's fucked up.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

People are tired of all the excuses the Jets make for Zach Wilson. We saw what he was last year and if that Zach shows up again in MetLife, why shouldn't people let him know its not acceptable?? The Jets go thru all these different gyrations trying to sell Zach to the fanbase and in the end, Zach gets lit up. We saw it last year, we're seeing it again this year. Folks are just tired of the non-competitive losing Zach brings with him. Zach plays well, he'll be cheered. Zach sucks and the crowd will let him hear it. He's an adult playing in an adult football league and getting paid millions. This isn't Pop Warner.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, Centiment and 2 others like this.
  14. sozopol

Never been a fan of the Zach pick, from the get-go, never had much hope that he'd pan out. However I do think he's trying his best, on and off the field this year, giving it all he's got. He's not dogging it. He's just limited. So as I said above I'd try not to boo an interception, say, or missed throw to the flat. The boos are for the FO and the coaching staff.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'll answer this after you tell me if you stopped beating your wife yet

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was at a game once where Boomer Esiason was badly hurt and had to be carted off the field. The majority of the fans cheered when he went down. I believe his parents were at the game. For all the things they say about Eagles fans, I think NY fans are pretty fucking awful.

Anyway, should they boo? Personally I wouldn't but they paid for their ticket and they can do what they want. I mean NY fans have booed the likes of Derek Jeter, so that should pretty much tell you the mentality.

#16 bicketybam, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    sozopol likes this.
  17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Fans should not be hostile toward our own players. I get it, you boo when things go wrong, but throwing water bottles at the kid and screaming obscenities at him is not the way to improve confidence and help him move forward.

That is disrespectful behavior and if you're that type of fan, please turn in your season tickets so real fans can go.

rscherwin and sozopol like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Zach throws an ugly pick in the first half boos are going to rain down like a hurricane.

Book it.

But it wont be all about Zach, they'll be booing the coaches, FO, and owner just as much.

Cman68, Jedi mind tricks and sozopol like this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The boos have been earned at this point. However, all he has to do to change the boos to cheers is play well.

20. sozopol

I remember that. Brutal.

bicketybam likes this.