Hats of to Thomas Jones

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, Dec 31, 2007.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Finished with 1,119 yards rushing. With this offensive line, that production is nothing short of a miracle. He finished in 10th place in the league for rushing yardage, just ahead of Marshawn Lynch and just behind Fred Taylor. This is clearly the best non-draft move that the Tangini regime has made. Living in Chicago, I can tell you that the vast majority of Bears fans wish that trade never happened...

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He did have a good year and I don't think there is any reason to want McFadden. TJ and Leon are very good backs and compliment each other perfectly.

If we can get a LG and a RT to play some above average football, the sky is the limit for those two backs.

3. sect105

sect105 New Member

I think his stats only prove that mediocre running backs are a dime a dozen. It is the TD's that seperate the good ones from the rest.

4. NYJetsFan26

NYJetsFan26 New Member

If this O-line disaster didn't happen I really think 07 would have been a good year, to bad, we'll have to wait till 08 now and pray this O-line gets fixed fast.

5. rillo

rillo New Member

1000 yards behind this line is very good IMO. Especially how little we used him in a few games. I wanna see Jones and Washington behind a new and improved Oline.

6. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

blame that on the play calling

7. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Does this prove that a upgrade at back would help???? I dunno, maybe it's just me.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Jones had a great year, and like i said, we do not need Mcfadden. We need basically anyone of the other top five guys. Gholston, Dorsey, Chris Long, Jake Long we could use each one. it seems to high to take either Long, but we could use them. Dorsey could be a 3-4 end and a DT for us when we line up in the 4-3. And Gholston is that 3-4 rusher we desperately need.

9. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

He had a good season. No he didn't score a whole lot of touchdowns, but nobody on this offense scored a whole lot of touchdowns this year. When we got him we looked at him as a guy who could get us about 1,200 yards, and that was assuming the O-line improved over last year. The line was actually worse than last year and he still produced. With an actual dedication to improving the line this offseason, we could have a very solid run game next year.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I wasn't impressed. I like Leon as a change of pace back and Jones was a complete failure at gaining the tough yards that you have to have. The 2 yards for a first the 1 yard for a TD he just seemed dead on those plays. I would prefer to see Leon get more carries and get a big back who can move the pile.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

TJ did amazingly well , and something no one has mentioned yet is , not once has he complained. Hes just got on with it. Credit to TJ.
    His lack of TDs is largely due to the O line, redzone just highlights how good or bad a line is when it has to punch in.

12. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I thought he did a great job anytime the line gave him room. The shovel pass was a clear indication that the guys, given open room, has moves and can make people miss.

Having over 1100 yards with this line was probably equal to having around 1400 with a good line (another 20 yards a game). Running back is not where I would look for help next year.

13. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

here here, i like him and hope he stays here long term. a better oline will help him be more effective, esp in the red zone.

14. K. Wright52

K. Wright52 New Member

yes Thomas Jones had a great year we don't need Darren McFadden

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Uh, no you are wrong. Playing calling cost Thomas Jones at least 3 TDs.

Great season Thomas, you gained those 1,000 yards all by yourself.

16. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

he didnt get 1100 yards, it was his biceps:up:

17. ANJI

ANJI New Member

LOL, he played behind two great offensive lines and never hit that total. You put talent behind this line and we would have been better...... You put franchise talent behind a great line and you get greatness. Jones ain't doing 1400 behind the Hogs.

Personally, you get a guy like DMC who could be a 2000 yard from scrimmage back, like I guy I really like in Westbrook, and you can't account for how much a guy who can do those numbers means to a team...... how good was the Eagles line this year, I forget???? :wink:

#17 ANJI, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

ummm...lol?..nice opening.

Yes...that same offensive line for the Bears churned out another great rushing season. He split time with Benson and still had a very solid season. Nobody is annointing Jones as a hall of famer...he just had a very good year behind a horrible horrible offensive line.

So your saying 1100 yards behind this line was not a big deal. Im not sure about the logic.

And he rushed for 1335 with the Bears in only 15 games as the main back but still splitting time. So I would think with the "hogs" he might hit 1400.

Next.

#18 jaywayne12, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  19. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Come on dude, he had 300 plus rushes... he ain't never hitting 1400 in the NFL, he's not good enough. lol

I think the Logic to me is a JAG has a good year(statiscally at least) behind this line, then doesn't that mean a more talented back has a better year??? Or you/we should only assume a back that has never hit 1400 yards would do better??? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I think a franchise back would run better then a Jag behind this line....................

#19 ANJI, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  20. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

He was fine. I wouldn't say amazing or great like some people are saying, but he was not the problem with the running game.