Hackett is a terrible offensive coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Nov 17, 2023.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets have some talent on this offense. A good OC could take a practice squad team and make them better than this offense. When I watch other teams, which is rare, I feel like I'm watching a different sport. If you want to learn about the problems, read and watch others b/c I'm just a casual fan, but there are Jet Youtubers that host experts who explain all the problems with this offense and the incompetence in coaching and management is quite frustrating.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Don't let Rodgers know how you feel about "his" OC. He won back to back MVP's with this OC a few years back so obviously it's a problem with the talent on the roster and couldn't possibly be the coordinator. This offense was not designed for anyone else other than Rodgers. A bit shortsighted IMO.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

funny cause everyone said "fire MLF. he's the worst. it can't be worse then him" then we did an it's worse.
    If you go back last year and even with zach playing much worse, MLF found ways to move the chains, be creative, and give the playmakers the ball in space. hackett is content running max protect all go and running breece up the middle into a pile over and over

4. GasedAndConfused

It seems more and more apparent to me that rodgers just bailed him out of bad calls with audibles all the time

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Has anyone in your life told you that you are exhausting?

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I personally never really thought he was that much of a problem to begin with but if nothing else this 2023 campaign has kind of served as the MLF rehabilitation exercise.

Given 100% hindsight now I for one would LOVE to see this season tried again with Carson Wentz signed as a free agent, MLF retained, Mike White retained, our draft pick kept, and Zach Wilson kept carefully no closer to field action than TIm Boyle gets. Obviously things would be better right now, its pretty obvious they'd be "a lot" better, and it would be really interesting to see just how much difference.

I suspect the whole ecosystem would be a lot healthier.

teamgreen, SOJAZ, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

thank you:)

Centiment and JackBower like this.
  8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

MLF with a healthy Breece changes everything. Breece was lining on wing, slot and even sometimes outside.

Hack runs Breece like a workhorse back. I think finally moves Breece to his 2nd/3rd weapon and splits carries with Izzy/Dalvin on 1st.

Let Izzy and Dalvin use those fresh legs to get 4-5 yds on 1st down and use Breece to threaten defenses with run, PA boot plays. Honestly this the best shot we have.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not only that but he runs him like a workhorse back but only from shotgun runs up the gut. It’s mind boggling.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Someone had to be blamed for Zach slurpin' on the Suck Juice ®

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Zach is also part of the problem, but the OC doesn't even use him well.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hackett does this because his whole philosophy is to try and disguise whether it is a run or pass. It is classic coach's kid stuff. Smoke and mirrors over execution.

Ironically it is having the opposite effect, when Carter came in they knew it was a pass. When Breece Hall was lined up in the shotgun they could tell it was likely a run vs under center

--

I said it in camp, but lining up in in the shotgun with Cook and Breece Hall both on the field at the same time is something they should try in doses. As is classic power football, QB under center, Breece Hall zone runs with a lead blocker like the fullback or Ruckert.

At this point I would lean into power run game and just focus on execution. As we dont need to score 30 points to win and the QB sucks

BrooklynJetsFan, Pepsiguy5 and Acad23 like this.
  13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Rodger's OC lets Rodgers run the offense. That's probably why Rodgers likes him so much.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

As bad as Zach may be... the play calls are awful... as are the play designs.

2nd & 20 runs... routes short of the sticks on 3rd down... too many runs up the gut.
    And why he doesn't use play action is beyond dumb. Zach actually works well on roll outs and off-platform.

Where are the designed QB runs? Zach can scamper as well as anyone.
    And as @BrowningNagle alluded to... use a pro set to offset our lousy pass protection.

Just a stunningly stupid offensive scheme.

Pepsiguy5, dmw and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah the lack of play action and motion is really frustrating. Both are essentially free value for offenses. Play action due to the fake of course and motion due to the information it reveals. The fact we do neither often is a sure sign our OC is dumb.

Top 3 teams in play action attempts:

Vikings
    Lions
    Dolphins

Top 3 teams in pre snap motion:

49ers
    Ravens
    Chiefs

All very good offensive teams. Go figure.

dmw, sozopol and Acad23 like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

I said it in the other thread that we should revert back to an old school offense. Two tightends or 1 and a fullback with a setback on the field. Bootleg left, bootleg right. Jet sweep motion behind the QB left, run the ball right. Jet sweep motion behind the QB left, run the ball left.

Run HB power and pull a guard and lead up the hole. Play action deep balls to the post and fly routes with a deep over and 7-man protections/defined reads off the run.

Gase did this in 2019 when he realized we could steal a bunch of wins against a bunch of shitty backup QBs.

Coordinators overcomplicate things sometimes.

#16 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  17. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I was listening to a pod that was explaining how a lack of pre-snap movement is what you want if AR is running the offense, because it allows maximum flexibility for the QB to read the defense at the line and audible into a variety of different plays in reaction. OTOH, pre-snap movement would help a limited QB like ZW immensely because it creates mismatches and uncertainty for the defense and furthermore, the play is set, so ZW doesn't have to process or make decisions, just execute.

Inexcusable that Hackett hasn't, or can't adjust to a non-AR QB.

dmw and SOJAZ like this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yes, but I was referencing MLF being shown the door last year

dmw likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Interesting. That might be because the veteran QB is trusted to read the coverage based on defenders leverage and Rodgers has amazing ability to make tight window throws based on that leverage.

Rodgers might not want to tip his hand at all and let them adjust based on motion since he can rip it into any window and his selection is usually correct.

Schotty Jr. used to get trashed all day long for his tightend motion of running to the QB and running back left but it was always used to see if a defender runs with them.

sozopol likes this.
  20. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Zach was unplayable last year plus no Breece most of the year and OLine was as much of a mess as this year. Jets Offense cooked when Mike White was healthy.

The thing with the Jets is it always can get worse and usually does.