Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Geno's perfect game today brings up some interesting questions. After he was benched for Vick this season, and came back to start, he has played well. Had a good game against Minnesota, then a decent game against Titans, a couple of costly mistakes against NE but a good overall game, and a perfect game against the fish. 3 out of 4 of those teams have very good defenses.

When Geno was benched against Buffalo, I was ready to give up on him, but now, I am not so sure. His stats this year are going to be quite a bit better than last year:

2013 12 TDs - 21 Ints - 55.8 comp% - 66.5 rating
    2014 13 TDs - 13 Ints - around 60 comp % - 70+ rating (these last 2 haven't been calculated yet)

So there is definitely improvement. Part of it is probably the result of better skill players this year, but still, the guy is improving, and his numbers this year aren't that bad. Then you have to consider 3 important things:

1) Geno played in a college system that was very different from a professional offense, and he was forced to start right away.
    2) Our coaching staff is notoriously bad at developing young QBs and running an offense. I was shocked by some of the play-calling today, the stupid wildcat plays, asking Kerley to throw the ball when Geno is playing out of his mind, predictably running the ball time after time. I figure it's reasonable to expect Geno to have somewhat better numbers in a real NFL offense.
    3) There is a pretty good chance that we are not going to land any great prospects at QB this offseason. Mariota and Winston will probably be gone, and I don't think either a guy like Hundley or Cutler are a better option right now than letting Geno have another year in a real offense. But that's just me.

Another thing I was thinking is that Geno might be a similar QB to Testaverde. If you ask him to play conservative and smart, that might not be his thing, and it handicaps him. But if he can just go out there and sling the ball while being allowed to make mistakes, I think he can have more success.

Richiebsweet likes this.
  2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

He's not a starter, might be an OK backup.

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  3. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

Please stop this. This way lies madness.

4. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

As the guy on the Jets postgame just said, "don't let meaningless games affect your decision." One good game by Geno doesn't change anything. He's not starting QB worthy, and the sooner we get rid of him, the better we will be.

westiedog1, NYJetsO12, FlaJet and 5 others like this.
  5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I agree with almost everything you said.
    Most posters on this board probably never saw Vinny in Tampa Bay, he was a god awful interception machine, much like Geno.
    In today's NFL he would have never survived long enough to give us the 1998 season.

I don't know what Geno's upside is, but I firmly believe he is right now more a result of this coaching staff, similar to Sanchez.
    A third year of Geno with a coaching staff that has a clue, may in fact the best option for next year.
    Continuing putting the right pieces in place and wait until the right option at QB comes along instead of forcing the anything but Geno mantra.

JETS1116, FJF and Axel3419 like this.
  6. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Let Geno compete for the job next summer. That was going to happen regardless of what he did in this game, and it's not like he is being paid big bucks or something.

Draft a receiver like Cooper, or trade back to get Strong. Improve the o-line a bit, draft Duke Johnson to replace CJ2k, and maybe we have something there to help our QB out.

Cman68, JetsVilma28 and tiger8mush like this.
  7. Zombies

Zombies Member

Geno Smith is probably a good backup quarterback when you take into account that he can be more than he is today and some teams have guys who are horrendous.

I think his best projection is as a Kaepernick-type: some big plays and some really dumb, weird shit. He looked good going deep (especially today) and he looked good moving around (especially against Minnesota) but it still wasn't anybody's idea of a good year (I hope). His ball security is the most frustrating thing because they have to be drilling that into him. Two hands. Two hands! I think his mobility is very important but it obviously can't be trusted if he fumbles as much as he does.

If we bring in like a Hoyer or a Fitzpatrick, I can see Geno staying around and maybe winning the job because those guys aren't good either. If we draft a QB in the first it might be a little too awkward to keep him on the team.

8. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

He's going to have a chance to compete regardless of who we bring in, he's not getting cut.

9. DanR

DanR Active Member

He's a turnover machine.

NYJetsO12 and freemantoon like this.
  10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

He has flaws, but he has ability. I'd like to see him with a good offensive play caller. I thought MM was going to be the guy...nope. But it could have been Rex's influence.
    He'll be here next year either way, it's still his job to lose.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  11. GangGreenBlues

Well, that's the thing, it's not just one game. I certainly don't expect him to play as well as he did today on a consistent basis, but if you look at him this entire season, he has played much better than last year. I can think of many games where he might have made mistakes and wasn't anything special, but played like a decent NFL QB:

- Raiders game
    - Green Bay game
    - both Patriots games
    - Minnesota game
    - Titans game
    - Miami game today
    - Denver game

The only games were he really was terrible were the Buffalo game where he got pulled, the Chargers game, and the first Miami game. And Buffalo has an outstanding defense, they just shut down Aaron Rogers recently, and the first Miami game, it was the gameplan that took the ball out of Geno's hands for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, if we get a chance at Andrew Luck, sure lets get him, but we are not getting that. Considering what we are likely to get in the real world, and how Geno has been showing improvement, I wouldnt mind giving him another year with a different coaching staff.

JetsVilma28 and JETS1116 like this.
  12. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I fell for this last year fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me

13. GangGreenBlues

Yeah, it's definitely frustrating to watch him do some of this stupid shit, but I think they can eventually get him to tuck the ball in when he runs and take less chances with that. I just don't see Rex as the best kind of coach for that sort of thing. I do think though you kinda have to live with some of those mistakes Geno makes, and just tell him to sling it anyway. Same as Testaverde, good for a couple of turnovers every game, but if he is loose and confident, he can move the ball.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree with the bold. Let him compete with a veteran. Draft a mid round developmental qb.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  15. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

His problems are the same that Sanchez had. He's a mental midget. I will say he has a better arm than Sanchez does though.

NYJetsO12 and freemantoon like this.
  16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

As a teacher I will tell you that everyone has the capacity to learn.
    If my students do not succeed I have failed them and I have not done my job.

The common denominator with Sanchez and Geno is Rex. If the flaws are physical it is on the player, if the flaws are mental it is on the coaching staff.

17. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

We obviously can't just cut him. Geno should compete with the vet we bring in and the Qb we draft. Hopefully he can turn it around in a new offensive system.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I will not let Genos great game against a team that looked barely alive cloud my thought process.Geno is a backup QB who plays great in Miami on occasion.Where was this all year?Rexs job has been on the line since week 1

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

These threads are killing me wtf

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Geno seems to have settled down a bit since we benched him.

With that being said, we have seen enough of Geno Smith to know that right now he is not a franchise QB.

He should not be anointed the starter without competition.

We should not worry about using a high draft pick or cap space on another QB because "it would be unfair to Geno".

With better coaching, who knows? he may develop into something special.

At this point he is an inexpensive QB with experience and should be brought into camp to compete for a job next year unless another team wants to give up something of value for him.