for kinghenry and other naysayers of clemens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by realisticduck, Jun 22, 2006.

1. realisticduck

realisticduck New Member

you really don't watch enough pac ten football to comment on clemens. it's obvious. did he throw for as many yards as lienart? no. did he throw to as many receivers who he could just throw it up there and they'd just go get it? no.

did he play for THREE DIFFERENT OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS AND HAVE TO LEARN THREE DIFFERENT OFFENSES IN FIVE YEARS? YES..

BRUTAL...by anyone's standards.

if you saw how he carved up usc's defense for stretches, how he threw for over 400 yards consistently. how he mangled michigan's secondary with pass after pass, you'd know he's got a CHANCE>..a chance...to be something terrific. nobody knows how it'll transfer to the next level. no way to know at all.

and personally, i hope he sits for a year because if he doesn't, he's toast.

Aikman, Elway, all of them are...especially on bad to mediocre teams like the jets will be this year. better to let him sit and learn, the jets aren't going to the super bowl this year, no way. (sorry if i'm just breaking that to you).

to say he wasn't tremendous in college? well, he threw for more career yards than..dan fouts, chris miller, norm van brocklin and a whole bunch of other duck qb's who've played well in the nfl...

also, check out the 4 int's is all he threw...that includes games against usc, fresno st. with terrific db's including one in the nfl now.

the kid can play. right away? bad idea. but don't doubt him. or at least if you do, have the sack to come back here in a couple years and say, 'gee, i guess i just don't watch enough football to really know everything about players like this from the west coast.'

doubt you will though. you sound like a knowitall. maybe not. we'll see.

2. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

You need to chill there a more people who like clemens then dislike him.

3. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone know how his ankle is doing?

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He was participating and taking the first team snaps in mini camp...

I am pretty sure he is doing just fine.

5. jaybo1015

jaybo1015 New Member

im just glad we didnt end up with cutler.... i think clemens has a better shot to make it then cutler.

6. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Look at some of the numbers M Leinart. A Walter and K Clemens put up in pac 10 in there careers. What does that say for the defenses in pac Ten.
    case in point:It's hard to fault Walter for not wanting to go downfield. When you talk to Pac-10 coaches, the thing that they'll say when asked what makes Walter special is his great touch on the deep ball. "He has a great arm," says Oregon coach Mike Bellotti. He should know last October, Walter set the Pac-10 single-game passing record with 536 yards in ASU's upset at No. 6 Oregon.

Carved up USC defense for stretches? Wasn't he like 15-30 for 137 yards or something like that, against USC last year(that wasn't a very good USC defense)
    Still not a knock on Clemens, as USC has alot more talent than Oregon.( not that supprising)
    Everyone that gets drafted has a chance or they wouldn't have been drafted. We just have to wait and see what hes able to do in the NFL. You can throw out all his college stats as they don't mean anything. Whole diffrent game in the NFL.

#6 Raiderjoe, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  7. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

You really can't say that. Most likely it will come down to what each team can put around him, as to which QB has the better chance to make it. You think BIG Ben would have had this much sucess(that early) , if he went to another team beside the Steelers. He went to the perfect situation.

8. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

Sure he can. He can think what he wants to.

9. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Clemens was a 3rd tier prospect until last year. His new offense was the fun and gun (Steve Spurrier) otherwise known as the run and shoot offense, an offense not used in the NFL. His half a season did not put him in the top ten in pass completion percentage, yards per pass, or QB rating. All statistics that run and gun QB's should lead the NCAA in.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=3&year=2005&group=80

The last few run and shoot QB's drafted were Heisman trophy winner Andre Ware, Timmy Chang, Danny Weurfel and Shane Matthews.

Run and shoot QB's in college put up gaudy statistics (which Clemens did not) that don't translate to the NFL.

Keep drinking the green Kool Aid. Jets passed on Leinart, best outlook is to start Clemens then draft an NFL type QB next year instead of sitting a run and shoot QB for a year, then bypass a franchise QB yet again.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like Clemens.

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

He is the future at quarterback for the Jets.

However, if Chad is healthy and productive, I would take him over anyone.

11. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Sure he can, but dosen't make it right. For example, he believes he can fly, I shouldn't try and presuade him not to jump out the window.

BTW IF Cutler goes to numerous probowls and K Clemens is out of league in three years. Than what will he say than.

#11 Raiderjoe, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  12. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

How have you not got banned from this board?All you do is come here and troll and troll and continuously bash the Jets and their players. Any Jets fan is going to have things they like and things they dont, as well as players and coaches. Reasoned argument and discussion is great here, but your trolling and bashing is getting old.

13. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Wow, a thread with my name in it! I feel so important1

Let's get one thing straight: I hope and am rooting for Clemens to pan out. From what I've read he is a very cerebral quarterback and I hope that he can take that to the next level. Let's get some more facts straight:

-I watched two Oregon games with Clemens last season, and I saw none of his supposed great arm strength. I am also of the opinion that arm strength is overrated in a QB, but that's beside the point. I believe that his throwing power is greatly exaggerated by Jets fans.

-Clemens has often been referred to on this site as a "great" college QB. That is simply a lie, he was a good college QB at best. Look at his numbers, they are not particuarly good. I'm not demonizing him for not putting up the numbers that a Leinart or Young did, but I don't think that we should lie to make ourselves feel better about our young QB.

-His injury history is significant.

-His teams in Oregon frequently underachieved and the Ducks have been worse than they were projected since Joey Harrington graduated.

-Having 3 offensive coordinators in 5 years isn't a good thing realisticduck, it's a very bad thing. A player with a lot of college experience would hopefully be comfortable in an NFL style system but that is not the case with Clemens.

-That Clemens "carved up USC" is a lie. Last season against the Trojans he completed 15 out of 30 passes for 168 yards and only 1 touchdown. That's not my definition of carving.

-That he "threw for over 400 yards consistently" is also a lie. Last season he only threw for over 400 yards once, against Washington.

I'm not saying that Clemens is going to be an awful quarterback. What really gets to me is the fact that many Jets fans feel compelled to lie about Clemens record to make him seem better, even though they are talking to other Jets fans. It's downright depressing and delusional.

All I can really say for Clemens is that his record stands for itself, and hopefully he can improve and prove me wrong. If not there are many more Kellen Clemens' still in college.

14. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

I gave you a reasoned argument, supplied with actual facts from Clemens college performance.... you just can argue the facts. I've been a Jet fan for perhaps longer than you have been alive, went to Polo Ground games on Saturday nights in 1960.

Who the hell are you to call someone a troll? If you want to swallow the impending Tangini disaster, fine, but argue some facts other than calling anyone who disagrees with you a 'troll'.

Clemens was a run and shoot QB in his only highly productive year. No run and shoot QB has ever been a decent NFL QB, doesn't that bother you or do you have your head so far up Tangini's behinds so can't see in the dark.

These amateurs need to be run out of town if they don't produce a playoff this year.

Accountablity starts with Tannenbaum and Mangini.

15. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Dude your a troll as well as a sex doll for Herman Edwards.

16. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Boy, Herm must really have done some job when he was on his knees.

17. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I'm not going to do backflips to defend rajensen as he has stirred the pot unecessarily several times IMO but he does have somewhat of a point here. You guys have basically managed to avoid responding to his arguement by labeling him a troll, which just makes it seem like it's right (it's not.)

18. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Thank you.

19. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Dont respond to him, let him roll around in his pile of s**t that he calls roses.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

So lets us know 10 things you see that are "good" on the NYJs