Favre to do an end around on Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CJLang, Jan 9, 2009.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

This is from PFT this morning

THE FAVRE-JETS CHESS MATCH IS ON
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2009, 9:07 a.m.
    When we saw the headline at ESPN.com this morning, we nodded and smiled.

The game. Is on.

Favre knows that, unlike the cap-rich Packers of a year ago, the cap-strapped Jets can?t afford to carry his $13 million cap number into the 2009 league year. So by delaying his decision as to whether he?ll retire for ?several weeks,? Favre is pushing the Jets closer to the point at which they?ll have to decide whether to get in compliance with the cap by making cuts elsewhere ? or by simply cutting Favre.

Last weekend, Charley Casserly of CBS said that the Jets are projected to be nearly $10 million over the 2009 salary cap. And since this will be the last year with a salary cap under the current CBA, the Jets won?t be able to use time-honored tools of reducing current cap numbers by, for example, paying big chunks of base salary up front and spreading the excess over the life of the deal.

Ideally for the Jets, Favre would ?retire? before the start of the new league year in late February/early March (we probably should find out the specific day), which would remove his $13 million from the books.

Sure, Favre could unretire later and drop the $13 million back onto the cap, but that?s a cannon that a living legend likely can fire only once in his career.

So either he?ll tell the Jets he?s inclined to retire if the team grants his unconditional release in the process, or he?ll simply drag his feet until the day in late February/early March on which, by 4:00 p.m. EST, the Jets must be in compliance with the 2009 salary cap.

Maybe the Jets will call his bluff, cutting players and slashing salaries in order to continue the house-in-the-Hamptons-style charade premised on the notion that the Jets genuinely want him back next year.

They don?t want him back. And Favre doesn?t want to be there.

But the Jets, like the Packers a year ago, also undoubtedly prefer that Favre not go somewhere else and do well. (The Jets also get a 2010 seventh-round pick back from the Jets Packers if Favre retires.)

Though Favre likely realizes there?s a limit to the extent he can get into a public pissing match with his second NFL franchise in two years, he?s also a guy who is used to getting his way. He kind of got his way last year in Green Bay. We?ve got a feeling that, this time around, he?ll settle for nothing short of the ability to go wherever he wants in 2009.

2. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

The Jets need to take care of business like Brett wasn't even there.

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I agree. They should just cut him and move on with some real cap certainty. Much easier to make plans moving forward.

4. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

Agreed. Just cut the cord.

5. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Favre is still the best QB we have and gives us the best opp for a win. Just stop with the KC and Ratliff nonsense.

6. bpjets

bpjets New Member

Sad but true....we should still think of Ratliff as a future Qb before we let him go and it bites us

7. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Clemens should be sent elsewhere. I haven't seen shit out of him that would make me believe he's going to get any better. The game didn't slow down for him at all, from what it looked like. He did have crappy protection last year but still, if he was going to get it, he would have gotten it already.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Does PFT pull every story they write out of their ass or what? What possible basis do they have for any of this drivel?

9. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Jets cut Farve. He comes back with Buffalo next year, beats Jets at end of season to knock them out of playoffs. Com'on, it writes itself!

10. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Okay, please explain where their logic is faulty? They didn't say it was fact, it's their opinion. Why are they not entitled to it? The article makes total sense to me.

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We didn't make the playoffs with him, so we can not make the playoffs without him. We need a long term solution at QB. Cut the prick, and get a veteran at a cheaper price, and let Clemens and Ratliff battle it out in TC.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

Exactly. :beer:

13. Don

The whole article is nothing but a conspiracy theory. It has the Jets conspiring against Favre and Favre conspiring against the Jets. Based on what? Neither party has shown any inclination to do that whatsoever.

14. Long Time Jet Fan

Actually, it has both looking out for their best interests, which in itself gives the story some credibility. The thing that amazes me is that if they don't want him back (which is the latest in vogue rumor) then just cut him. Why would they care what he did after that? Let him crash and burn for some other team if that's their choice.

#14 Long Time Jet Fan, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  15. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

WHAT IS FACT AND KNOWN: Brett Favre is old, he plays more recklessly than ever, he throws as many picks as TDs, and he's a bad fit for a team that needs more management at the top spot.

WHAT IS UNKNOWN: What the Jets record would've been with Ratliff or Clemens playing this season instead of Favre. Consider the following statements...I'll use Ratliff since I believe in him much more.

--I think it's reasonable to say Ratliff would've run for more yards, first downs and TDs than Favre. He's younger, showed running ability and would've been more willing to sacrifice his body to make plays. Favre was unwilling to run and it really hurt them in spots.

--I think it's reasonable to assume that Ratliff would've thrown less than Favre's 22 INTs given the fact that Mangini would've had him throwing less. Also, a young pup wouild be afraid of upsetting the coach with picks, a fear Favre has never had.

--I think it's reasonable to assume that Ratliff might've gotten us to 9 wins because of the above factors. I accept that he would've lost the first game in Miami, 2nd New England game, the first game in Buffalo, the Arizona game, and the Tennessee game. At the same time, I think he win's the first NE game, Raiders, Seattle, and San Francisco and the 2nd Dolphins game. The rest of the schedule ends up as it did: Losses to SD, DEN, wins vs. STL, CIN, KC, BUF at home.

16. Don

Not really. They say the Jets may cut players just to call his bluff. That is not looking out for their own interests. They say Favre may wait until 4 PM of the last possible day to give an answer and he has said nothing to indicate that. Tannenbaum said take a month off and don't think about football and he said he was going to do that. That puts him at about a week after the SB is over. Big deal.

17. Long Time Jet Fan

The whole thing makes no sense to me. If Tannenbaum didn't want him back why tell him to take a month off? And I believe I read somewhere that Favre said he might not even know what he wants to do after the month. It would be silly for the Jets to cut players just to spite Favre.

18. uberchink

uberchink New Member

how did brett get what he wanted last year? He got TRADED. The Packers got what they wanted by being selfish pricks (which is a good business maneuver), because favre didnt want to prolong the debacle anymore than the pack already did so he gave in.

19. Long Time Jet Fan

The Packers were selfish? :rofl:

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I could feel my brain turning to mush reading that crap. Florio could be the worst ever.