ESPN's Kiper talks Jets' potential draft day scenarios

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsb...otential_ZyiKyXN1IKQMvXx6hp1mzI#axzz2KsqWKqn0

The NFL Draft season is about to kick into gear with next week’s NFL Combine. ESPN Draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. conducted a conference call with media members Wednesday and he had some thoughts on the Jets.

In his latest mock draft, Kiper had the Jets taking Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan with the No. 9 pick overall. Here is what Kiper had to say:

(On choosing defense over offense)

“The Jets have so many needs and so many players that are free agents and those types of things. There is going to be a changeover in the personnel base in this team so you can look at running back, offensive line, wide receiver and look at the back end at safety, at outside linebacker. That’s where I think they could go in terms of the pass rush that’s necessary in that division with Tom Brady, with Tannehill now.”

(On Dion Jordan)

He could be an ideal edge rusher as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He could be a combo guy. You could use him up and down. He had a great finish two years ago to the season. I think he had six sacks late in the year. He was not as dominant this year but teams knew he was the guy you had to identify and handle but he has enormous upside potential.

(Kiper also mentioned LSU DE Barkevious Mingo and Georgia LB Alec Ogletree as possible targets for the Jets)

“I think there’s going to be one of those guys sitting there for the Jets and at that point in the draft it’s going to be hard for them to pass one of those linebacker types up.”

(should the Jets trade down to acquire more picks?)

“I think trading down is something that’s always attractive to me if you can. Obviously, if you target a player … if a guy like Dion Jordan slides down, some people don’t think Dion Jordan from Oregon will be there at 9. Barkevious Mingo from LSU, some don’t think he’ll be there at 9. And if Ogletree is there. If there is a guy you target and he’s there and that’s who you feel like we’re lucky and fortunate enough to see him get to us at 9, they’re not trading down. If there’s nobody that you’re excited about or there are three or four players bunched together that you need, you trade down and you know you get one of those three or four. That’s really dependent on how the draft unfolds. We’re still way too early to speculate on that until after the combine and pro days. I still think the front seven on the defensive side is the way to go."

Kiper said the Jets could have some options to take at quarterback on the third day of the draft (rounds 4-7). He specifically mentioned Zac Dysert of Miami (OH), Sean Renfree of Duke and Brad Sorensen of Southern Utah as possible late-round quarterback targets.

Read more: ESPN's Kiper talks Jets' potential draft day scenarios http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsb...otential_ZyiKyXN1IKQMvXx6hp1mzI#ixzz2Ksry15zU

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think if the Jets go DL in the first round, I will probably throw up.

3. Footballgod214

It's not really d-line...it's olb, which has been a huge need since pre-gholston so if we hit a jackpot in that position i would not mind.

with revis and (brainfart) safety a ?, getting to the qb 1 second sooner may relieve some of that concern.

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That isn't DL, it is a pass rushing OLB, and that has been an enormous need for over a decade even more so since our LB core is in complete disarray

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Running Back.

Greene goes, Powell stays, but at 9, with the rookie salary structure, you need a stud at 9...one that catch out of the backfield like Westbrook or Rice.

Exctept there aren't any, trade down get a pck or two to the spt where the kid frm Oregon or Florida..is going to go.

The kid from Florida is faster, and has a rep for blocking....Oregon might be a product of the system, but now we actually have one.

#5 Hobbes3259, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Okay, I can see OLB.

I changed my mind.

7. Ted

Ted Member

When you are in a position like this, drafting for need often leads to bad choices. When you have a lot of holes, BPA. In this draft, there is a glutton of pass rush types so I would think the Jets wind up with Jordan or Mingo. If the plan is to trade either Cromartie or Revis, I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Milliner or Banks in a Jets uniform if either is on the board.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

we need to improve OL, no? Anyone other than the 1st pick guy good for a top ten pick?

we just lack talent...we have players but most played poorly last year.

9. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Dominant Pass rushing OLB is possible at pick 9
    If they want to go OL early, they should trade down

I wouldn't mind OLB at 9 and OL in the second

10. Footballgod214

when teams draft for 'need' they rarely end up with a highly talented team.

however if teams always draft the top talent available regardless of a hole here or there well then.....

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I agree with the poster who said BPA. With that said most mocks have BPA an OLB which I'm fine with. We have SO MANY holes on the roster that we just need to take the best guy available in the first round. If we really don't love anyone at 9 then yes trade down and stockpile some picks. Because at the same time you don't want to go BPA for the sake of it if you don't love your options, picking from a top 10 spot. Make no mistake, if the Jets don't love the choices, someone else will and will pay for it.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I really agree with trading down unless we can get that playmaker stud at RB or OLB early. If not stockpile them because other teams will be looking to trade down. We need lots of picks this year.

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Dion Jordan is the player I'm hoping for. All the other players I'm viewing as "ideal" fits will be off the board. RB, TE, S have some pretty good talent past round 1. The kind of players who would go straight from the draft board into the starting lineup.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Cordarrelle Patterson because Teddy Bridgewater will need a great young WR to throw to in 2014.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Jordan!gillesloee, Chase Thomas, shedding Revis, and trading down.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

With Mo and Que anchoring the D-line we should definitely go OLB and finally get our edge rusher. We need O more but there's nothing worth it there at #9 and there is a couple of edge rushers worth the pick. Moore,Jones,Werner,Jordan and maybe even Okafor.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I know you're joking but thats the worst mentality to go into the draft with

18. 518

518 Member

The thing I am happy about is the fact that if we trade down, I think we can fill some holes quick and possibly hit a home run on a couple. If we stay at #9, we can pick up Jordan, Mingo, Ogletree or Warmack. Warmack may be too high to draft there, but if he is it would be hard to pass up a stud guard to get your ground game going (this team will need next year). MM rushes more than a traditional WCO. I am looking forward to Idzik doing right by us and getting us in the right direction with every position BUT QB.....

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Mingo or Chance Warmack with the 9th pick. I'm fine with either one...

20. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

A pass rushing OLB would be an ideal first round pick.