Eric Mangini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sash1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. sash1

sash1 New Member

I dont know about you but all these draft scenarios we keep posting are making me sick. So lets move on because its all entirely speculation until April 29. Don't get me wrong, it was fun at first but know its just plain getting old and quite frankly repetitive. Is it me or were we the only ones kicking down coach Mangini's door. After the season ended like 6 coaches were hired by other teams and not a whisper of coach Mangini's name was uttered. What did we see in E.M. that numerous other PROFFESSIONAL National Football League teams did not. I'm happy that he was a memeber of a Bill Belicheck/ Robert Kraft run organization but......

2. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Trader, how are you going to bash the new coach already atleast wait until you see what he can do. I would rather have him then some shithead that has been fired from somewhere else.

3. sash1

sash1 New Member

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: I'm not bashing him, I was HYPED when I heard we got him, I SIMPLY AM POSING A QUESTION

4. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Ok, thats cool I understand what you mean.
    Trader

5. Bomber

Bomber New Member

So who do you think the Jets should get in the first round?

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

My hope is that we were thinking ahead of the other teams. realistically Mangini was a year or 2 away from being a hot candidate and I'd rather have him a year too early than lose him a year too late. I think had herm done this last year we'd have Weis as our HC and most folks would be pretty happy but we were a year too late. mangini has risen so quickly for a reason and learning under BP and BB isn't a bad thing. I think we were the only team willing to gamble at this point, a GM doesn't want to risk his job w/ such a young coach but we have a young Gm and he is secure in his job so he could take that cahnce and he worked w/ him before so he knows him well and is comfortable w/ him.

7. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Bottom Line.

Much like in any industry, the NFL is a clique-based organization. These guys try to look out for their own, knowing someday that person may be in a position to help them out. Tannenbaum and Mangini are part of the Bill and Bill clique. Tanny has positioned himself nicely in the jets FO and did the wheeling and dealing to bring in one of his own. He must have done a hell of a job schmoozing Woody and Cross to make it happen.

If there is anything that scares me about the new HC/FO combo it is that they are an offshoot of the Parcells / Belichick Tree and not the genuine goods. I like there move so far in the market and I believe they will be prepared for the draft with so much to prove.

My concern is on Sundays. These guys are green and they have a lot of lessons to learn. If they draft well and make smart pickups, a talented team can make an average coach appear to be a genius.

8. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

And how many teams were banging down Bill Parcells' door when he was hired?

This is a guy that was in our organization already and had ties to Mike T. We didn't exactly choose him out of thin air.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Right, and having everyone on the same page is more important than having some big name coach.

10. MyFavoriteMartian28

I think in Football, more than any other sport, a team's division has a tremendous amount of influence on the decisions they make. The AFC West has always been a good example in how the Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders and Broncos often have boasted rosters with interchangeable parts. I think seeing the same team twice a year, gives you more insight into the players and coaches of a competitor than a scout could ever provide.

Plus, I think the Jets organization feels dumb for sticking by Herm and not aggressively going after Weis, Crennel or Saban when they had the chance.

For what its worth, this is the most involved I have ever been in actively following the Jets in an off-season. This "Mangini brand" of Jets we are being sold is right up my alley, and I like the direction we seem to be heading. The draft will be the most telling sign of what lies ahead.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

When did we have the chance to go after weis, Crennell or saban? Herm was a kick away from the AFC Title game in the year those guys were hired.

12. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

To say Minnesota, Houston, Buffalo and detroit are professionally run organizations is a huge stretch. I don't see Mangini being any worse of a hire than Rod Marinelli or Dick Jauron, two other defensive hires that nobody else showed interest.

13. MyFavoriteMartian28

What I am implying is that when the BIG named Bellichik guys were available, we missed the boat because we were so invested in Herm... and now in hindsight I think Woody realizes it and doesn't want to let it happen again. So, instead of making a 4-5 year commitment to a guy like Heimerdinger, he hired Mangini earlier than some thought was right, so he didn't miss out on him in a year or two when more teams in the league would be after him.

14. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Sometimes you need a coach who is new at something, sometimes you need a coach that is only 35 years old, sometimes you need a coach who people bash because of his babyface.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and i like mangini, not because he coached under the other bill... But because any coach who can turn a WR into a succesfull DB is ok in my book, the problem is why haven't other teams done this before? I mean DB's are DB's because their hands are suspect...

And if coach mangini is not scared to try things that in the football world can be done, is great in my book, other coaches don't try it because they are too old fashioned... Its a new school world of football right now and we need a new school coach, for example, having a base
    4-3 and also using a 3-4.

15. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Mangini and Tannenbaum were interns in Cleveland where they became best friends. When Parcells became HC/GM of the Jets, Mangini joined as an assitant secondary coach. When Bellichek left for the Patriots he took Mangini with him. With Herman Edwards leaving for KC the job opened up and Tannenbaum selected Mangini because he was his best friend in the world.

Mangini was promoted to defensive coordinator for the Patriots after Romeo Crennel became the HC of the Cleveland Browns. Mangini was a failure in his one year as a defensive ccordinator leading the Patriots to a 26th ranking in total defense an 31st in pass defense. Despite a record number of head coaching openings, the Jets were the only team to ask the Patriots for permission to ask Mangini for an interview. No other team was interested. He was hired because his best friend won a power struggle at Hofstra and picked him to become the next HC of the NYJ.

Those are the facts.

16. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

So you know for a fact that they are best friends?

So now Bill Belicheck has nothing to do with the defense? What happened to Mr. Mastermind?

I suppose you would have prefered Dick Jauron or Joe Vitt?

17. sash1

sash1 New Member

the Bottom Line is that Mangini was the Pats defensive coordinator last year and last year the Pats defense Stunk

#17 sash1, Apr 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
  18. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

I would have cleaned house with starting with Bradway and Tannenbaum. Hiring an experienced credentialed football executive to run all of the Jets football operations and hire whatever head coach he wanted. Woody Johnson was in bad need of a Hess-like Parcells moment, instead he did what he always does, hire smooth talking empty suits with no credentials (Jay Cross and Terry Bradway for example). Other AFC front office execs had it right as reported in the Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/02/12/can_young_pilots_reverse_jets/

The kids pulled off a palace coup," said an AFC front office executive. ''Tannenbaum was close to the owner and to Mangini. Mangini came in and immediately stepped on Bradway when he hired [Brian] Schottenheimer [as his 32-year-old offensive coordinator] without consultation.

''They're all bright guys, but they're ruthless guys. Johnson has no idea if any of them can do the job. Mangini hasn't ever been the boss of anything, Schottenheimer hasn't ever coordinated a lunch order, and Tannenbaum likes to make believe he's a football guy but he isn't. That's the first thing they have to do now. Hire a football guy."

19. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

20. Fleming

Fleming New Member

The Jets have a long and proud history of thinking outside the box and having their moves pay off handsomely.

"Mangini wants tough, smart, hardworking disciplined, Mangini guys, there's a new attitude around here and a new sheriff to enforce it"