Don't worry about Culpeper

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Jul 14, 2006.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I keep reading about how the Dolphins are ready to win the division because of Saban and his new QB. Well, the new coach may be the real deal, but the old QB is a never-was.

A fantasy football stud, yes, but when it came time to win games, figure out defenses, and put his team into the playoffs, Dante didn't. Even with Randy Moss, this guy was a zero whenever he came up against a coaching staff with half a brain.

That means the only AFC East team that needs to worry about Culpeper is Buffalo.

The best thing that could've happened for the Jets and everyone else is Saban throwing his lot in with two retreads (Harrington). Hopefully, it will be a couple of drafts before they figure out they don't have playoff QB.

2. parafly

parafly New Member

I tend to agree. Culpepper has not proved anything while playing without Randy Moss. A big part of his game was his mobility, and tearing all three ligaments in his knee is certainly going to negatively effect him.

3. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I still remember how particulary awful he was last year before he got injured.
    Is that all he can do with out Randy Moss??

4. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

5. parafly

parafly New Member

He definitely had some great seasons, but last season he looked awful. Let's not forget that he was outplayed by Brad Johnson. Without Moss in there to stretch the field, Culpepper looked clueless out there.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Monster FANTASY seasons, in w terrible division and brutally weak conference he could only get them to the playoffs twice and one time was at 8-8. He comes up small in big spots- he's the anti-Brady.

7. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

Yeah, I can't really see his knee holding up 260 lbs. while he's running and scrambling much less getting sacked and tackled. It's going to give away sooner or later and that will probably be the end of his career.

Harrington on the other hand might give us trouble if he learned from his previous experiences.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Well, he proved he knew how to disparage his old team via public email. That's a start.

#8 jetophile, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  9. MyFavoriteMartian28

Listen, DC was a fantasy stud with Randy Moss... last year he was one of the worst QBs in the league before he left with his injury, and that includes Pennington who at least can lean on the excuse of having an unhealed throwing shoulder. Daunte couldn't read a defense, had no deep threat and fumbled the ball or chucked an interception just about every time the defense penetrated the pocket.

Last time I checked, Miami did nothing to address their weak offensive line - instead they have gone out of their way to bring in bad-character players. The pundits are kissing this team's ass right now, but I think they will end up 8-8 at best.

The team that isn't getting enough attention is the Browns. That defense was very good last season, and only got tremendously better this year with the addition of McGinest, Ted Washington and Kamerion Wimbley. On top of that, they had the forsight to draft the replacements to Willie and Ted in this years draft with Wimbley and Oshinowo.

The other team to watch is already on the radar, its Cincinnati. Marvin Lewis may be doing what the Chiefs have been unable to do for the last 5 seasons, he is building what looks like it could be a very good defense to go with his phenominal offense. He added Johnathan Joseph (CB), Frostee Rucker (DE), Domata Peko (DT), and A.J. Nicholson (LB), and Ahmad Brooks via the draft, and Sam Adams via free agency. If the bad character guys work out for him, watch out for this defense.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

im not worried about culpepper, but I do know hes better than any Miami QB since marino. He has Chris Chambers who is a legit reciever and McMichaels as a safety valve. I think how good Culpepper plays this yr will reflect directly upon whether Ronnie Brown can step up and demand enough attention for Culpepper to take advantage of the passing game.

Culpepper wont be a pro bowl type this yr, but he'll be the best qb in our Division not named Brady. Which gives me enough reason to not like the fact hes on the Dolphins.

Culpepper overrated? Most likely. Culpepper a solid player? Definitely.

In fact word is the Off Coordinator was a big problem, I'm not trying to speak as if I'm a Dolphins fan but I have a hard time believing someone as big and athletic as him is solely the result of having Randy Moss to throw to. (Even though he is top 3 reciever today if not the best.)

point in case, im not really worried, but I think it would be stupid to just think hes not a legit threat.

11. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

At least we know he can throw a sexy party

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Just to add, Culpepper is a huge talent who played for a totally undisciplined coaching staff. Reminds me of another talented QB who when he had a disciplinarian as a HC and good talent around him did very well and that was Vinny T.

13. Crowder52

Crowder52 New Member

Culpeppper isn't going to have to do everything on his own. Minny's running game hasn't really been anything special the last couple of seasons and with a running game it's going to take the pressure off of his shoulders. He dosen't have moss anymore but he does have Chambers, Mcmike, Ronnie, Booker, Welker, Hagan, Cambell, Peele, etc. Not to mention that he has an offensive coordinator that makes QBs look fantastic (i.e. Kordell Stewart). Say what you want about Mike Mularkey as a head coach but as a coordinator he's done well. The defense won't also won't put Culpepper in a position that he's going to have to win the game by himself as well.

14. Crowder52

Crowder52 New Member

:beer: shit i would go to one of the his parties on south beach.

15. Crowder52

Crowder52 New Member

Houdson Houck has wipped lines alot worse than ours into all-pro calibur lines (San Diego, early Dallas Cowboys). We added L.J. Shelton who may not have stepped up his game yet but with Houck,Saban and Mularkey pushing him he will. The also got another tackle from Jacksonville named Mike Pearson. Don't know much about him but most likely will be depth guy. We have Jeno James who was probably the most consistent linemen last year and Rex Hadnot playing center for the 2nd straight year. Former 1st round pick Vernon Carey should only get better under Houck and make strides in his 3rd year. Call me crazy but i think we did alot of work to the o-line. Not being a homer or anything but i say the dolphins go 10-6 or 11-5 and earn a wild card. I agree with you about Cincinatti. The weak part of their team last year was the defense and they have done alot to shore up that side of the ball. If Carson Palmer is healthy they will make a deep playoff run this year.

#15 Crowder52, Jul 14, 2006
  16. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Yeah, don't worry about Culpepper in Miami. He sucks, and there's no reason to think he'll be any more effective than Fiedler / Feeley / or Frerotte.....

Our OL is horrible, and we have some of the most inept coaching in the league now with Mularkey / Capers onboard{two ex-head coaches}. Our defense is full of holes, and most of the players on defense are considered dinosaurs anyway. You guys have absolutely nothing to worry about.....

:lol:

17. GreenMachine

I am glad you finally have come clean on your true feelings:up:

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Culpepper has a lot of good recivers in Miami he could be dangerous but i dont think dangerous enough to win the division or to beat the Jets twice this season.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It is a complete myth that Daunte didn't have a good running game in Minny, just b/c he only had a feature back for 1 year dosn't mean he didn't have a good ground game- he actually had one of the better ground games in football.

below is a breakdown of the Vikes RBs since '00(notice the YPC):

2000: Robert Smith 295 rushes, 1521 yds, 5.2 YPC, 7 TDs

2001: Only year w/o a good ground game. bennett had 172 carries for 682 yds but did have a respectable 4.0 YPC so they could run it they just chose not to.

2002: Bennett- 255 carries, 1296 yds, 5.1 YPC, 5 TDs and Moe williams added another 414 yds on 4.9 YPC w/ 11 TDs- this looks like a good running game to me, doesn't it?
    Totals: 339 carries, 1710 yds, 5 YPC, 16 TDs

2003: bennett 90, 447 yds, 5 YPC, 1 TD
    Smith- 107, 579 yds, 5.4 YPC, 5 TD
    174, 745 yds, 4.3 YPC, 5 TDs
    Totals: 371 carries, 1771 yds, 4.7 YPC, 11 TDs
    This wasn't a good ground game?

2004: Bennett- 70, 276 yds, 3.9, 1 TD
    Moore- 65, 379, 5.8
    Smith- 124, 544, 4.4, 2 TDs
    Moore- 30, 161, 5.4, 3 Tds
    Totals: 289 carries, 1360 yds, 4.7 YPC, 6 TDs
    Ground game a little down b/c they threw more.

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Culpepper is a definite upgrade over Fiedler/Feeley/Frerotte. That is a given, IMO.

But this still has the feel of another Miami QB band-aid. I don't care what is coming out of Miami's FO right now, his injury was significant. Especially for an aging QB that relied on mobility. So who really knows how it is going to affect the longevity of his career. My feeling, with its severity and his age, Culpepper only has 2 (maybe 3) good years left.

But long term Miami's QB situation is still suspect. Maybe that is why Saban brought in Harrington. He could see something in him that makes him think that Joey can be Miami's future as QB. If not, then the Phins have to draft a high 1st or 2nd round QB within the next couple years. Otherwise the Phins are going to be on the same QB carousel in 2 years, IMO.

#20 dabrowsk1, Jul 14, 2006