Dewayne Roberston was the highest payed DT in 2006

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Carpetbagger, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I don't have a link for this guys but it is in todays USA TODAY...but Robertson was the highest payed defensive tackle in 2006 at $9,417,760 and the next highest DT was John Henderson at 6,836,500...almost a 3 million difference. Not only was Robertson the highest payed DT but he was the fifth highest payed non-qb.

I like Dewayne, I think he made some definite improvements as a NT. However, he needs to restructure his contract...he is simply payed way too much.

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Wow, didn't realize that the $ was that great.

Not just anyone can say "Can't nobody block me" and get away with it, unless you are paid so handsomly I guess.

3. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

Are you sure it was highest paid and not highest salary cap hit?
    Big difference.

4. Carpetbagger

The article says that the numbers were the earnings for each player and their prorated signing bonus for 2006.

5. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

Yeah, thats cap hit, not salary.

http://www.jetscap.com/

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate, but it shows his salary to be 4,660,000. The rest are bonuses that he was paid that are still hitting the cap.

6. e-x

e-x New Member

rookie contracts these days are rediculous, this is why having a high 1st round pick is not all it's made out to be

7. Carpetbagger

It was done by the USA Today...that is a fairly reliable source. It was simply showing how the franchise numbers were calculated and who had the largest pay-outs this year. Robertson was highest for DT's.

8. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? He made only 900k last season! Thats what FOX says. Even our backup fullback had a higher salary. :lol:

9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

That's the biggest fuckign Joke in football IMHO.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's what happens when you take somebody on the 4 pick and have to pay their price.

Not going to get into a litany against the Jet's previous FO again, however a franchise which had salary cap issues and depth problems had no business trading a mid and late first round pick for the 4.

11. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Drob is a good example of High Risk/Mediocre Reward. All in all he still counts on the "positive" side of our roster which was up for serious debate early last season. He better come to camp in rediculous condition.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

He came into TC last year looking better than he did in 2005... much better. The '05 Camp didn't help him much and in fact hurt him and stayed with him all season. This was mostly because Herm pretty much allowed the inmates to run the asylum. This was the year that was the height of ridiculousness in the Herm Era as far as ease of TC.

Robertson barely broke sweat that summer, unless it was sprinting to the parking lot at 11:45AM to jump in his Red, totally over-pimped Hummer so he could get to the Netherlands Mess Hall. I guess the 3-block walk would have been too strenuous. But to add insult to injury, not only was he the first one in the door every day, he was the last one to leave. This, after devouring multiple helpings of fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy.

That all changed last August.

13. DaBallhawk

Seriously dude, don't you even know the difference between cap hit and salary?

14. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Yea, it did sound kind of funny. No way he pocketed over 9 million last year.

15. Carpetbagger

Don't shoot the messenger...just reporting what I saw in USA Today this morning.

16. greenerthanmost

greenerthanmost New Member

it is what is. This is what happens with these top 10 draft picks, they get signed to 5 or 6 year deals and the cap hit increases every year. By the end of the contract the cap # is astronomical which is why the player needs to prove his worth to his current team before the end of the contract and work out a new cap friendlier deal. If the player hasn't panned out and WON'T rework his deal you cut his ass to save on the cap. In Drob's case I think we should resign him to a new contract for 4 more years.

17. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

That's bull. His contract was too high for a #4 pick, it was just a bad all around contract. This is why Bradway no longer does contracts. Other teams have top 4 picks and don't come out as badly as we did.

18. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

I've known for a while that DROB was the highest paid DL in the league. Which is why I have never understood why his contract is not restructed...........

19. DaBallhawk

Read this thread again... :rolleyes:

20. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

The salaries are different every year-- it is all about spreading out the cap money. He may have been paid a ton this year, but another year he may not get paid as much. He gets his money either way-- say it's 6 years 35 million with a 15 mill bonus. One year he may count 4 mill on the cap, another he may count 10 mill. We may have paid 30% of his total gauranteed money this year, it's not like that's base salary. Having paid that money either made up for a lower cap number in the past, or will allow for a lower number in the future. It's actually a very good thing for us in the future that he was paid that much last year. If someone can find his salary for the next few years, I'm sure they are all quite a bit less than this year.