DBrick at LG?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Dec 24, 2007.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It is probably not an original thought, but IF THE JETS CAN'T FIND A TOP RANKED LG, could they move Dbrick to LG and draft/sign a dominant LT? It is not like DBrick is doing much at LT, and you gotta play him with what we're paying him. He may not have ideal size for a guard but he could probably has the speed to pull.

2. _AG_

_AG_ New Member

LG would play to all of brick's weaknesses and none of his strengths.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think RT would be the most ideal position for him. At guard his lack of size (re:weight) is even more of a factor than at tackle.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

That's the complete opposite of what he is suited to.

5. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

RT is generally meant to be a position for a large, large man who can just maul people.

LG is generally meant for a stout, bulky player who, once again, can maul people.

LT is a position for the most athletic linemen to handle speed rushers and bull rushers, which is where D'Brick is best suited for, especially if he can manage to bulk up a little.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

No. No to RT too. No to RG also.

7. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

he is fine at LT (one of the hardest positions to find)

you guys act like he is a turnstile, do you even watch the games?

he is a second year player that starts every game. he is better than reggie bush and vince young

8. BxJetFan

BxJetFan New Member

i agree he is doing just fine at LG. Not amazingly well but just fine. He is not the problem of our line. He is not getting beat on every play like some people believe he is. He gets beat on some plays yes but that will happen too all LG. Last week against the titans wasn't his best but well he had to go against probably the strongest Left defensive line in all of football. I would worry also if they guy next too me is just a bum too.

9. joeyg94

joeyg94 Member

get him some talent around him other than center and you will see a much better player and a more consistant tackle

10. floridajet

floridajet Member

Damn, I've never heard so much Madden logic in 1 post in my life.

Wait... I just scrolled down 1/4 of the first page. Just dis-proved my self.

11. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

My mistake... I always considered him a pilon....

Now guard? that would be a huge joke.

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

He's not doing much at LT? DO you watch football?

Give me a damn break...how many sacks did Jason Taylor have against Brick this season? How many did Freeney have last season?

How many times did Richard Seymour beat Brick this season? The guy improved greatly against the power rushers....and if you're basing this on the Titans game, learn how to make a valid argument.

Besides, one of Vandenbosch's sacks was on a stunt where Mangold let him run right by.......but sure, go ahead, assume Brick is bad......just because you don't understand the position doesn't mean that the people who do won't call you on it.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

whoa, settle down, junior. The purpose of a message board is to bounce around ideas in an effort to possibly improve a team. At 3-12, it is not like we have a lot to lose by making a few changes. Speaking of changes, maybe you should switch to to decaf.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

And another was when Kolawalewski was "blocking" him and Brick had nothing to do with it.

15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Now that is hilarious! And here I always thought the purpose of a message board applied to fans-- as a means to reach other fans and share gripes, complaints, thoughts and revel in successes-- and all along its a covert open-source brainstorming tool used by management to improve the teams. Brilliant!

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You know a lot about football, don't you? Also, maybe you shouldn't use the word "brilliant" because I don't think it will ever be confused with you.

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Sorry but how wrong you are , and before you bash my football knowledge , I played OLine for 10 years from Pee Wee to College.

D'Brick right now is a bottom tier LT with the Upside potential of being Average (middle of the pack). He cannot run block for sh*t. He has decent footwork and technique for Pass Protection but still gets pushed around because of his size.

If he was a Third or Fourth Round Draft Pick I guess you could be pleased but as a #4 overall - He will never live up to that expectation.

18. KJet84

KJet84 Member

I completely disagree. I think most teams would be lucky to have a LT like D'Brick. This guy needs to add some weight so we can get a better push on the line but other than that I think he has done a great job. Since youre a former Olineman, you if anyone, should be able to recognize that the strength of the O line comes as a group. D'Brick and Mangold are the only players on our line fit to start in the NFL. Our weakness is not D'brick as he has done a great job against some of the best pass rushers in the game. Once Kendall left, that left a huge gap that D'Brick has been expected to cover while trying to block the other teams best pass rusher. I don't think he gets a great push off the line for running plays, but he doesn't get pushed around as you say.

So yes, maybe I am questioning your football knowledge because for you to say that you would only be pleased with him if he was a 3rd or 4th round pick is absolutely ridiculous. He is in NO way a bottom tier LT and has an incredible upside. He will be a staple on this line for years to come and now occupies a position that we don't have to worry about for years. Last year, Dwight Freeney torched Walter Jones for 3 sacks and no one in Seattle said anything. We as Jets fans criticize our only good players like they are supposed to be saviors for this team. Mangold and D'Brick can't make our O line great themselves, we need way more help.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's allowed 19.5 sacks in his first 31 starts. That's a lot of sacks for a guy who is supposed to be a pass protector. He may well turn into a decent LT but he is hardly fine there at the moment.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

What?

You think playing next to Adriane Clarke has helped him this season?

Even then, sacks allowed is taken from who is lined up against who on a certain play, no? Did he allow one or two sacks against the Titans? Because I saw one directly against him, and one where KVB stunted off of Haynesworth.

D'Brick + good LG = Shutdown left side

Sorry, but a 23 year old two year starter at LT who has shut down guys like Taylor, Freeney, Schobel, Suggs, Cole, Osi, and whoever else is probably going to do fine when he's not trying to cover for the guy next to him too.

#20 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 25, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2007