David Carr's future in doubt?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Bob McNair: Carr's future remains in limbo

By JOSEPH DUARTE
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

David Carr?s future with the Houston Texans remains in limbo.
    Owner Bob McNair remained non-committal about Carr on Tuesday, saying he is still being evaluated and any decision on whether the fifth-year quarterback returns next season will depend on what the Texans can accomplish in free agency.
    ?David has been inconsistent, and we?ve said that? McNair said at a Texas Bowl luncheon at the JW Marriott. ?He?s had some good games and he?s had some games that haven?t been as good. He?s a tremendous athlete. We?ve got to get better consistency there, either with David or with some additional help. We need more consistency at quarterback.?
    McNair has been one of Carr?s biggest supporters since the team drafted him with the No. 1 overall pick during their expansion season in 2002. But after five straight losing seasons that support appears to be waning. McNair has not publicly endorsed Carr in recent months and has declined to speculate on the quarterback?s future with the team for the 2007 season.
    McNair said the entire team is currently being evaluated by general manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak.
    McNair said the Texans would consider taking a salary cap hit by releasing a player, including Carr, if a suitable replacement can be found in free agency. Jake Plummer is believed to be a target of the Texans if he is released by the Denver Broncos.
    Last February, Carr received a three-year, $8 million extension which runs through the 2008 season.
    ?We?ve been willing to do whatever we need to do to win. Really that hasn?t changed,? McNair said. ?We let a number of veterans go last year and this season and we took a hit on the cap. It was in the best interest of our team. We?re going to do whatever we need to do to improve our team and win. That?s what we?re all about.?
    McNair said the Texans have enough salary-cap space to ?get a few players that can help us? in free agency. The Texans are expected to be between $10-$13 million under the salary cap. He targeted wide receiver, running back, defensive tackle, linebacker and safety as areas the Texans would like to bolster.
    ?A lot of that depends on what the options are,? McNair said.
    McNair added the Texans will be cautious in spending freely during the free-agent period after a few bad deals in the past.
    ?We?re not going to go out and get a player and pay more than he?s worth,? he said. ?We have to get fair value for what we spend. We have to allocate these dollars very prudently.?

2. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

He has talent, but he HAS to be damaged goods at this point. The guy has been beat to hell his whole career in Houston.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Carr>Texans.

If anyone else drafted him, he could be a Pro Bowler.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This is another Plunkett in the making. This is a guy who needs to sit and lick his wounds for a year and than watch out.

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I don't think he's anything great. Sure he's never really had much of a running game but Davis HAS had some alright years, and he DOES have targets...

6. JetsLookingforDWare

I'm a big Carr fan, and I agree completely.

I actually love thinking about the idea that if he got cut the Jets got him to be their starter. Unfortunately teams like the Dolphins, Chiefs, and so on would probably go after him more aggressively.

7. baamf

baamf Active Member

I used to believe that as well, but I'm not so sure anymore. Kubiak did get his rating and percentage numbers up this year in their modified offense, but he is still making some really bad decisions. On the fence with him myself at this point...

8. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

David Carr is back-up material. I would love to have him as the Jets back-up. Same goes for Joey Harrington or Chaz Batch. But he just doesn't have the skills to be a starter. Like the other two guys I named, he has a knack for turning the ball over at the worst possible time. And the fact that he has Andre Johnson plus he plays during garbage time a lot makes him look better than he is.

9. jets95674137498

They ruined him in Houston, absolutely ruined him.

In college he was one of the smartest QB's, never really made bad decisions and knew what was going on all the time.

But in Houston, they've been more concerned getting offensive weapons and not concerned at all with getting an offensive line. Carr has been sacked literally hundreds of times in his short career and to try and compensate for that, he's "developed" into quick decisions that are often times wrong.

He would flourish under a smart veteran QB who could help him get back to where he was in college and expand on that. Someone like Hasselbeck, Manning, Favre or even Green could help him immensly.

I sincerly hope for his sake, he leaves Houston for greener pastures.

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Never was a fan of Carr. I don't like him smiling like a jackass durng the games. Donovan McNabb used to do that alot and it bothers me.

Carr was in a system this past season where all he had to do was make smart decisions and he couldnt do it. They made the offense very simple for him and he couldn't run it.

Carr is just as big of a bust as Joey Harrington.

11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

still can't believe the texans passed on bush and young

12. jets95674137498

Saying he is a bust like Harrington is a step. Joey had a decent line in the latter years and a great run game, and still couldnt do anything. He was never the smartest player, thats undebatable.

13. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

truly...i fell bad for the guy...it seems like every year he breaks his previous years record for being sacked in a season....meanwhile the texans front office drafts everything else but an offensive line....ohhhh houston

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually the guy he really reminds me of in terms of career progression is Vinny. Same high expectations on a hopeless franchise to start out, same off-again, on-again results, same high sack totals. Ultimately the same failure to be the savior and lead them out of the muck.

I think he's going to wind up on a decent team one of these years soon and people are going to get a strong reminder of why he was so highly touted at the start of his career.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I understand them passing on Bush. They're nowhere near ready enough to make a playoff run to be taking a back on the 1 pick.

If I were them I'd have worked a deal to move down. I still do not understand why they were unable to move down to the 5 to 7 range and pick up something very nice in return.

16. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

When a good player like Carr plays basically his entire career with one bad team, he tends to be faulted as the reason his team is bad rather then looking at the coaching decisions and the player personnel moves that probably put them there in the first place. A guy like this usually will wind up on a team as a quality back up or gets one last shot with another team as their starter. This is why the Bengal’s became know as a death sentence for any High first rounder coming out of college.

17. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I wonder how well CHADWICK PENNINGTON would do if he was with HOUSTON the past few years?

18. GreenMachine

The same as any other QB not named Brady or Manning...Suck.

Amazing a thread about Carr turns into Chad bashing that fast.

19. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Look who made the post :rolleyes:

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Imagine what would happen if Chad ever didn't get us to the playoffs.