Cromartie same as Woody

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Jun 1, 2011.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Woody is returning because Ducasse could not work with the coaches. Does the same go for Cro since Wilson could not work with the coaches. I say so. Who the hell is gonna play the other side, I am sorry Wilson might be good, but he did not show enough to hand him the job. Cro is the # 1 free agent Jet signing in my opinion. We can not go back to 2 years ago with Lito and other crap.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah I mean having the number 1 pass defense with 'Lito and other crap' sucked.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Woody isn't going to be a high priced guy while Cro is so that is where they are different. I expect we'll have him back but if it comes down to getting 2 of the 3 back out of Cro, Edwards and holmes I'd prefer Edwards and Holmes and pick up a cheaper vet to play corner and hope Wilson is ready sooner than later.

4. NickD

NickD New Member

None of our free agents will be easily replaced. There is just too much talent to expect everyone to be satisfied by the Jets.

Cromartie is a valued commodity and will be difficult to keep. He'll demand top dollar and he should get it.

Holmes and Edwards are likely to be targeted by teams, but the wide receiver free agent pool is pretty big. We may get lucky and land one or both without over paying.

5. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

he may take a million less than what another team offers to stay with the jets. cromartie has been twittering everyday saying shit about wanting to stay.

6. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Cromartie is the most likely to take a paycut after Braylon. Santonio is out for top dollar, though, no doubt about it.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what use a big contract really is to Cromartie, he's got to piss most of it away in child support anyway.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i think you answered your own question.

9. NickD

NickD New Member

He is doing that to drive his price up, or he is dumb and not listening to his agent. Either way, when it is contract time, there will be a different tune singing from his side of the table. It is always about the benjamins when it comes down to it.

10. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Maybe not always but it frequently is and there's a big difference between saying you want to play for the Jets forever and then actually signing with the Jets when Oakland or somebody offers you $5 million more and your agent/accountant/lawyers/8 mothers of your 9 children are telling you to take the higher offer.

#10 ManlyGenius, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  11. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

The Jets have been nothing but hospitable toward Cromartie and were very understanding about his "family" situation. It's his turn to return the favor toward the Jets and sign here. Although Wilson worked with Revis this spring, I didn't see any indication he deserves a starting role. His job right now is to just get better. Period.

12. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I wouldn't bet on that.

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Numbers lie. Look at the difference in the playoffs last year vs. the year before against Manning. Two years ago we able to be hide the other CB with all the exotic blitzes, we did not get away with that last year. You want Dwight Lowery as out other CB? That's crazy. Cro was not perfect, but he's the most important free agent we have, and I love Holmes big play capability.

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Cromartie often uses his Woody, I hear.

15. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

lol, I still cannot believe he forgot his one kid's name on Hard Knocks.

You know you have too many kids when that happens.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I actually think that he will sign back with us, not because of returning the favor, but because he likes it here in NY, and I'm hoping that other FAs will look to get in on the action.
    How many times have we heard how the players like to play for Rex?

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I'd agree with the OP except for the fact that Kyle is working with Revis. That's as good as spending the off-season with DT and crew. Maybe it's going out on a limb but I think Wilson's gonna surprise a lot of people this year if he gets the chance.

Re-watched the week 17 game last night against Buffalo and Kyle was manned up on Steve Johnson for the majority of the game, and he looked pretty damn good.

Cromartie's good if he gets a jam at the line, and he's great on vertical routes, but he's not a "shadow" like Revis is.

Kyle's got that kind of potential. Revis just needs to teach the kid football location, and there's nobody better to learn it from.

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

It's nice when players are telling thier agents they want to play for the Jets. There are a lot of older veterans and good players on shitty teams that want to play for us.

When could you say that, except for the Parcell years.

19. NickD

NickD New Member

Cromartie's biggest drawback is tackling. He's bad at it and he doesn't want to do it. Opponents will run at him and throw screens and dump offs to his side, because they know it. Otherwise, we had the best CB duo in the league.

With more time, Ryan and Revis can get him tackling better. If you look at the playoffs you can see improvement in this area. If Cromartie comes back and sticks around for 4 years, then we'd likely have had one of the all-time best CB duos.

20. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

In the Woody thread I said it's a no brainer to bring back Woody as the starter, but I think I go the other direction with Cromartie. Wilson is clearly talented, and even though he had his struggles last year you could tell he has the tools to be a good corner. He didn't have much problem sticking to his man in coverage, he just had some issues getting ready for the ball to arrive.

I just think the Jets can spend their money better elsewhere. Sinking another 7-8 million a year into the cornerback position just seems like too much. With Revis locking down one side of the field, there will be help for Wilson on the other side when he needs it. I don't think he'll need it for long.