Could/would Jets afford Reggie Bush?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Read this, from Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole:

Speaking of running backs, don’t expect New Orleans running back Reggie Bush(notes), who is due to count for approximately $8 million against the cap next season, to stay with the team. One Saints insider said general manager Mickey Loomis isn’t interested in carrying Bush’s salary, even if there is an uncapped season. Bush’s cap number and secondary importance to the team could create conflict in a locker room where several players, such as wide receiver Marques Colston(notes), are expected to cash in soon.

Now think about the RB situation. Leon's coming back off an injury and needs a new contract soon, but will he have lost a step after the injury? He's already said the recovery time could take up to 12 months.

Thomas Jones is only getting older, he won't be around that much longer, and is contract will be up soon too. Let's assume his taking Greene under his wing will mean Shonn is ready to take over Thomas' role when the time comes.

Danny Woodhead is probably a special teamer who can potentially become a mini-Welker (yet to be seen if he can do it physically and if we want to include that role in our offense) and can carry the ball a few times per game.

If it's true that the Saints are done with Bush, they'd be without a player like him in the backfield. Reggie is more versatile than Leon, who we still aren't sure about from a recovery (and douchebag agent) standpoint. The Jets need to plan for the future. Look what happened when we lost Curtis Martin. I can't even remember the names of all those guys we tried to use to fill in other than Cedric Houston.

2010 Jets RBs: Jones, Greene, Bush, Woodhead??
    2011 Jets RBs: Greene, Bush, Woodhead??

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No way... I'm cool with keeping Leon.

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol Leons a better player for half the price. i have faith in him to rehab we'll see

but fuck reggie bush.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

reggie bush as a slot receiver maybe, reggie bush at RB nah i'll pass

5. ridetilidie21

ridetilidie21 New Member

I definetly wouldn't mind having Bush out of the back field, especially with the question marks surrounding Leon. Don't get me wrong, I think Leon is a beast and is one of my favorite Jets but Bush defiently has natural talent that Leon's heart can't quite match. That being said I think the chances of getting Bush are few and far between, and I won't mind seeing Leon back in there next season one bit.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No. Leon should be able to come back from his injury just fine. I bone break is much eaasier to overcome than ligament damage.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Bush hasn't been good at this level. I would pass on him.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'd trade Leon for Bush if we got two day 1 picks in return.

9. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Its threads like this that make us Jets fans look stupid. Its the middle of the season, what the heck are we talking about here?

10. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

No way would I pick up Bush, not worth the money.

By the way what's with everyone talking about Woodhead being the next Wes Welker? So far has he proven anything?

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm a big fan of Kim kardashian's titties....but not enough to see her boyfriend put on a Jets jersey.

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

We've seen his speed and lateral quickness in the preseason and a few times in the regular season.

We saw that he can catch the ball a few times this season and in the preseason.

We have no idea how much the coaches have seen in practices and scrimmages that the media and fans are not privy to. If he can block a little, he can be good on this team.

I did say "special teamer who can...."

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

No reason to get Bush, even if his talent legitimized it.

Leon will heal and be just fine in his CoP role. Thomas Jones is an elite running back who is young for his age. Greene is just a kid. We can pick up late rounders to groom over the next few years for far cheaper than bringing in Bush.

As far as age in the backfield, we need to start worrying about drafting a quality fullback.

14. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

What are you, blind? He's short and white!

15. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I was a big Reggie Bush honk when it looked like we had a chance to draft him, but after actually seeing him play at the NFL level, no thanks. Bringing him in would only serve to cut into Leon's playing time, as he's no every-down back (and neither is Leon). I much prefer Leon, especially in terms on contract value verse production

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Reggie also has a fumbleitis disease, and as some one posted earlier he really has not done much at this level, I mean what better offense can you play in and you are still being used sparingly? :eek:hmy:

17. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Hell no.

Bush is a bust.....

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If Leon hadn't been injured I'd say no way, but I am a bit concerned he won't be the same guy when he comes back. If he is, great, if not, Bush would be a great replacement because he can do pretty much everything Leon can. There aren't many guys you can say that about.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

if they can get bush cheap itd be cool jones greene bush leon using leon back in st and bush as a slot reciever and screen pass guy

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

if anything...Bush is lethal on Punt returns.