Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AphPsMt8rGmscrwjGuxQzncdsLYF?slug=ap-jets-cotchery-mason

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)—The New York Jets have released wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery(notes), apparently clearing the way for veteran Derrick Mason(notes) to sign with the team.

Cotchery, the subject of recent trade rumors, had said earlier Thursday that he thought he would be cut if Mason—brought in by the Jets for a visit— passed his physical. The Jets have no immediate announcement on Mason, but say they have parted ways with the popular Cotchery.

Cotchery says he’s healthy now after starting camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

Cotchery, 29, was drafted by New York in the fourth round out of North Carolina State in 2004 and worked his way into the starting lineup after a few seasons. Sure-handed and consistent, he has 353 catches for 4,474 yards and 18 touchdowns.

2. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty pissed about this move. Cotchery was a dedicated player, devoted to the Jets and played very well for us. He's like 8 years YOUNGER than Mason and IMO made some great plays last year. How is Sanchez going to develop chemistry if you keep changing his receivers every year?

I would understand it better if we had cap issues to sign someone like Aso, but we have just about everyone signed that we need already. This is just awful and how can the players keep being so dedicated to the team if they will be cut at the drop of a hat despite their performance and loyalty?

I am not liking this move at all.

3. steves850

steves850 Active Member

I am sad by this, but at the end of the day its a business and the powers that be believe its the right move. Wait and see...

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It wasn't about Mason, Aso or 2011 salary. It's about the 2012 cap, more importantly how much unmovable money we have committed to 2012. Any cap help we can get is much needed. And on the field, Cotchery to Mason is a lateral move, especially since Cotchery hasn't been able to stay healthy the past two years and was on the PUP when he was released.

5. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

No way. Really?

6. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

So, excuse my complete ignorence and sentimentality. Why have we cut a standout strong character, willing to sacrifice his body younger player, for a 37 y/o player that Rex "happened to have worked with in the ravens system"? Pardon my probable unpopular view, but I would have taken cotch any day of the week... and dont tell me he was too expensive...

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...ings-cotchery-senses-his-time-has-passed/?hpw

7. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

This sucks, this will come back to haunt us... I guarantee it.

8. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

This is the right way to look at this. People can't get too emotional about these moves. The best teams cut players before their decline is obvious. Still, I'd rather we get younger at WR. Maybe Kearly will make an impact.

9. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I have to say I don't get this so I hope there is more too it than meets the eye. Cotchery epitomizes "Play like a Jet" and at 29 he could've been part of the receiving corp for years to come. Sure there's a little cap savings though I missing the big picture thinking here. Mason is a 1 year guy, maybe 2. They've rented Plax for a year so why would you let a younger receiver go?

10. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Ok, but here's the scenario we're in now. We have Holmes, undoubtedly our #1 receiver right now. We have Burress, 34 and coming out of prison for 20 months, not playing for 2 years and already has a sprained ankle. Then we have Mason who is 37, 38? How durable is that guy? No speed, so he has to run routes and go over the middle - how long will that last?

Then we have rookies.

Cotchery was familiar with Sanchez and knew the playbook, put 110% effort in and was consistent. I know he was due to make some good money because of his contract, but I just think this was premature and a bad move.

11. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

I do not understand this. Even if it's about the cap, Burress and Mason dont have many years (if any) left. From Tone/BE/Cotch to Tone/Plax/Mason is a huge downgrade considering age and the fact that Plax has spent 2 years trying to not get his ass violated, and not playing football.

And, what happens next year? Either Plax plays well and gets a big 2 year deal, or he sucks, and needs to be replaced (someone decent will cost more than 3.017 mil). And, Mason wont be here for more than a year or 2 either.

So, what the Jets are doing at WR is a huge mystery.

12. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

They drafted a couple of young dudes just this year.

That may have, at least, a small part in this...mystery.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

It's been real J-Co. Hope you light it up somewhere.

14. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

People need to stop getting so emotional about every player the Jets decide to cut or trade or sign or etc. The fact of the matter is in football there is a hard cap and there are a lot of tough decisions to be made...

15. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

Hes 29, and still has many awesome years left. This is just stupid, pick up a 40 year old cause hes cheaper, isnt always the best way to go. FAIL

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Huge Cotchery fan here. Wish him nothing but the best other than when he plays the Jets.... Would've loved to see him get a ring here. How she goes sometimes.

17. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Don't think people are getting emotional. Nobody has to agree with every move and right now this move does not make all that much sense.

18. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

First, he's 37. Second, you neglected to mention that he's also a BETTER player.

19. ........

........ Trolls

It's really not a huge mystery. Burress and Mason will both likely be gone after one season. They're rentals, and they're here for a very good reason.

We opted to spend our FA money on players who were absolutely integral to the team's success moving forward. I thought Edwards would be signed instead of Cromartie, but we all know what happened there. When Edwards was off the table, the market for a #2 receiver was absolutely weak. At that point, the prudent move was to sign a stop gap and address the position in a very strong WR class in next year's draft.

There was no point to signing a long term WR who would hit the cap for more money than we were comfortable spending, especially not with a very tight cap situation looming next season. Burress and Mason will hold down the fort for a season, Kerley will develop, and we'll keep 2 or 3 other receivers (1 on the AR, 1 or 2 on the PS) to develop and see if any one steps up.

In 2012, we'll have Holmes, our new #2, and Kerley, with a couple of young backups. Our WR corps will be cheap outside of Holmes and it'll be a unit that will remain completely intact for AT LEAST 3 seasons. We just didn't have that certainty with Cotchery, especially with the injury.

Because of this move, we'll be able to retain a key FA we couldn't have otherwise, like Leonhard or Pouha, we'll be able to compete this year, and we'll clear room to bolster our team for an extended run.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Someone posted numbers from Football Outsiders that actually showed that Cotch and Sanchez had a poor connection. As far as how long Mason will last, I don't believe he's missed a game since 2002. So, yeah, he's pretty durable.