Breece Hall TD?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Patriot, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

During the game with the Eagles, it was suggested that Breece Hall should have purposely not gone into the endzone to use up more clock. It is my recollection that there was 1:50 on the game clock and the Eagles had two timeouts. It was also suggested that the Eagles let Hall score on purpose.

Possible Time Scenario

Play 1 takes 7 seconds and the Eagles call timeout. The time remaining is 1:43
    Play 2 takes 7 seconds and the Eagles call timeout. The time remaining is 1:36
    Play 3 takes 40 seconds since the Eagles have no timeouts. The time remaining is 56 seconds.
    Play 4 takes 40 seconds since the Eagles have no timeouts. The time remaining is 16 seconds. Jets FG.

This leaves the Eagles 16 seconds to go score a Field Goal, not a great situation.

I think Hall was okay scoring the TD because there was no guarantee that the Jets could run down the clock enough.

NCJetsfan, Jojo and Flyboy like this.
  2. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Yeah, it was obvious that they let him score so easily. And it was the right choice to score, in my opinion. Being up by 5 or 6 would have been better than trying to kill the clock with kneel downs or whatever, and only scoring a fg if worse case scenario leads them to that.

JetBlue, Brook! and IDFjet like this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this too--in the context of the game with the way the D was playing, I think it was the right move for Breece to go in for the score.

The other alternative is risk missing the FG. Anything but taking a knee is risky leading up to attempt. Therefore its not going to be 14 seconds in first 2 plays--more like 4 seconds.

They're not going run the clock down all the way to 40 seconds either.

I think Philly gets the ball back with about 30-35 seconds, no timeouts, and only needs a FG.

It's an intereresting problem and Sanchez was right to point it out. He made plenty of good observations throughout game but in this case, I don't think he was right.

Jets79, westiedog1 and Flyboy like this.
  4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"Play 1 takes 7 seconds and the Eagles call timeout. The time remaining is 1:43
    Play 2 takes 7 seconds and the Eagles call timeout. The time remaining is 1:36
    Play 3 takes 40 seconds since the Eagles have no timeouts. The time remaining is 56 seconds.
    Play 4 takes 40 seconds since the Eagles have no timeouts. The time remaining is 16 seconds. Jets FG."

You seem to be suggesting that the Jets can take four plays and THEN kick the field goal. Once the Jets take "play 4" in your scenario, the clock stops no matter what happens, so 40 seconds do not come off.

If everyone on the field is doing everything correctly in terms of time management,

1 Tony Adams should actually opt not to score, even if allowed. Once he's in automatic FG position, he should go down. (Obviously this is unrealistic, I'm just saying.)
    Also, the Eagles should not tackle Tony Adams. They should allow him to score, and get the ball back at 1:40-ish down one score with two time outs.

But obviously, that didn't happen. First and goal for the Jets, 1:43, Eagles two TO's. At this point...

2 Eagles should allow Jets to score. Which they did. But...

3) Breece should kneel at the 1.
    Eagles take time out #2 with 1:38.
    2nd down. Jets kneel.
    Eagles take 3rd and final time out with 1:33.
    Third down, Jets attempt to score a touchdown ON THE GROUND between the tackles.
    Assuming they are stopped, the clock runs down to about 50 seconds.
    Jets take time out.
    Jets kick field goal.
    Jets kick off with 45 seconds remaining, up 15-14. Eagles with no time outs.

That's best play from both teams.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s too easy to move the ball with penalties and such these days. Getting into field goal range with kickers that have monster legs only take three medium range passes. One can be over the middle.

You only go down and drain clock if you can kick a FG with ten seconds left. Scoring was the right play.

The Eagles overthought that one big time. The Jets have been terrible in the red zone this year and continue to kick field goals. Why not hold them and need to go 35 yards in 45 seconds against a prevent defense rather than 75 yards against a pressure defense with 1:40?

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

1 million % in agreement here. Make the eagles go 75 and score (which they didn’t do the entire 2H)

Jets79 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Eagles were betting on themselves doing what they couldn't do the entire second half - score a point. I like that, it's good coaching, but they didn't come through because the Jets D was on a mission yesterday. I think it was a good decision by the Eagles, they just didn't execute.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wanted Breece to slide in the moment but hearing his postgame quote about the situation totally sold me.

“Did you see our defense?”

Love that mentality, whether it came from Breece or if it was the call from Saleh.

NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That’s kinda dicey …. That would of left plenty of time for them to get into FG range especially these days with kickers routinely hitting 55+ yards…

I think it worked out right - I mean obviously they won - but forcing them to drive the length of the field in 1:40 changes their play selection and can lead to a better chance of mistakes amid the pressure….

But regardless glad it worked out … I’m still on a high!

10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I think you're right and here's why you have to score that TD and go up by more than 3:

1. There is no guarantee that they can run the clock down that far. Maybe Zach changes a play and throws an incomplete pass, or they run out of bounds.
    2. There is no guarantee that the Jets don't turn it over. They could have fumbled the snap, botched hand off, or Zach could have thrown an Interception if he was given freedom to change a play at the line. We've seen crazier things happen.
    3. You still have to make the kick. Greg the leg is awesome, but a chip shot still isn't guaranteed.
    4. 1 big play for the Eagles could put them in field goal range. All it would take is a big pass interference penalty, or a long catch and run, or maybe even Hurts getting out in space and making a few guys miss to get them close enough.
    5. Driving the whole field and getting in the end zone has been tough against our defense. They have given up yards and let people move the ball, but they have been so good in the red zone this year.

mrjet80, Jets79 and NY Jets68 like this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Leave it to a Patriots fan to not understand basic football math.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This 100%.

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Definitely take the td. I would bet on our defense to at the very least hold them to field goal range. All they would need is one pi flag on a long ball and they win the game. No way I risk that soj ending

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  14. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I was glad for it because I started Breece in my fantasy lineup this weekend. That carry was half his pts for the game!

15. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

He takes a knee and there are 3 plays to fumble before trying a FG.

16. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

He did the right thing scoring. Too many bad factors go into not scoring. Blocked FG, Fumble, penalties, QB sacks. Plus the Eagles would only have to score a FG.A long pass w/pass interference is a strong possibility. The only way they could win was by TD the defense was good enough to stop them on this day.

Jets79 and teamgreen like this.
  17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

In the moment I was thinking Breece should have stopped short of the goal line. But, thinking about it more, our defense was less likely to allow a TD drive at that point than they were to allow the refs to dick us over with a long pass interference call, followed by a 55 yard FG. Let's admit we could all see that scenario playing out.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the eagles did let him score. that was obvious. they bet on their offense to be able to score a TD with 2 mins and 2 TOs over betting on needing a FG with no TOs and maybe 30 seconds.

I think the jets did the right thing. we couldn't score TDs. take the guarenteed points and force them to score a TD and let the D win it for you. we were going to live and die by the D in this game so putting it on them to win it was the right move

19. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

TD was the answer, but could taken a bit longer to go for that. it is better to be up 6 and having eagles march down the field to win vs being up by 1 and one big play can change the outcome.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

After that screw up last week against the Broncos where the Jets ran out of time and failed to scored before the half it was absolutely the right move to score a touchdown with a 1:45 left in the game.

Too many things can go wrong at the goal line; blocked field goals, fumbles. The Jets defense was impregnable yesterday, the coaching staff put it on the D for one more series and it paid off.

#20 BleedJetsGreen1981, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.