Better corner, aso or revis??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nastynice, May 18, 2010.

1. nastynice

nastynice New Member

wow, so after 3 days of randomly writing pointless posts i'm finally allowed to start a thread (this board's too serious)

So, I think there's no debate that aso, woodson, and revis are the top 3 corners in the league, now I'm wondering from a Jet fan perspective who's number one. This topic comes up every now n then on the raider boards, and of course aso gets the most love, but revis/woodson get solid backing there too (this last year he played completely out of his mind).

As far as interceptions go, Revis has Aso there, but Revis' numbers will fall next year based on the fact that qb's simply won't look to his side of the field, which is what happened w/ aso.

Also, if you asked me this question last yr week 10, I'd say Revis is the better corner, cuz for some reason oakland would keep aso on the right side, no matter where how the offense lined up, that shit pissed me off. Well, finally toward the end of the year Aso started somewhat shadowing recievers (not 100%, but somewhat), shutting them down. Still not Revis status tho, I heard he lines up in the slot even, is this true? If so, that's absolutely ridiculous.

So, call me bias, but at the end of the day I say Aso still holds the title of best corner (which he has since '06). Although Revis is a bigger IMPACT corner (some of that may be due to the fact that u guys got a genius running your defense, while we have a retard), Aso is complete SHUT DOWN.

In man to man situations, I don't think Aso gave up more than 1 catch per game (and this includes little 5yd baby throws, everything) this past year, and that was dissappointing. I think in '08 he didn't even give up 10 catches for the WHOLE YEAR. I'm not sure what kind of numbers Revis puts up as far as shutting recievers down, but if this article http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=4707319 is accurate then those handful of games are much more than what aso gave up the whole year.

I don't know where to find anything to confirm Aso's numbers, but I'm telling you if I'm not right then I'm wrong just by a few catches at the most. Maybe someone here has a source. And a good chunk of those numbers are because of Phillip Rivers, who is by far the ballsiest and most successful qb when it comes to throwing to Aso, I give him props, even tho he's a fag.

I really don't know how Revis is as far as tackling, but for a corner Aso is a 10/10 no question. Raiders will happily have running backs face aso one on one in the open field on pitches (he won't light no one up, but he'll get them down).

One thing about Revis is that he's a lot younger, Aso honestly was pretty bad his first 3 yrs (may have something to due that he played safety in college, not corner). Revis just finished his 3rd year, so its scary to think what he'll be like if he keeps improving. But until that happens, I say Aso's got the crown.

Maybe i'm just biased, but I can tell you this, as a raider fan I would be pretty pissed if we traded Aso for Revis straight up. So what do you guys think, who's the creme de la creme??

"the earth is covered 2/3 by water. the other 1/3 is covered by asomugha" -willie brown

...o, and i can't wait to see u guys start slappin around the pats

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Do you really expect to come to a Jets board, ask such a question, and receive anything less than 95.8% of the responses favoring Revis?

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Revis

/filled

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

So you decided to start a pointless thread?

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I live in the Bay Area, and most Raiders fans tell me Revis is better. Not by much, but he is...

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I can tell by your post that you've never seen Revis play. On the flip side, we might have an almost as delusional Raiderjoe on our hands.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Woodson looked like the better all-around football player last year due to the many roles they gave him in their defense. I think he is still a step behind Revis and Nnamdi as far as talent and ability, however.

Nnamdi appears to be the one player of the 3 with true elite physical ability at this point in their careers. I'd be interested to see how he played in a defense like the Jets, where his assignments changed. Teams can too easily avoid him because of the strict way the Raiders assign him to one side of the field, regardless of offensive personnel. That namkes it pretty hard to tell whether his game has declined or he was just taken advantage of in 2009.

I think Revis may be the best student of the game out of the 3. His technique is flawless, he spends his entire life in the film room, and he lives football. He knows the receiver's route before the first cut is made, most times. And his ballhawking ability are insane. If he had Nnamdi's physical ability, he would be Deion Sanders.

Hard to rate them against each other, although you will see plenty of Jets fans pick Revis simply because we see how good he is every week.

#7 abyzmul, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I knew you were just spamming. Of course, that is favored around here.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

And really at this point, who gives a damn.

The Raiders are a horrible mess, it doesn't matter who plays corner for them. Aso is wasting away there, and he knows it.

10. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Revis also benefits from better talent on the defense as a whole giving him more opportunities. in 2010 AC and Wilson should provide better coverage in nickle and dime situations overall than the Raiders can.

11. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

1 corner follows his #1wr all over the field. the other doesnt.
    [​IMG]

12. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Raiderjeaux dup account???

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's very difficult to assess the individual ability of a cornerback, since so much of what they do depends on the rest of the defense. One of the reasons Jets fans think Revis was amazing last year is that he was able to shut down receivers despite the Jets' relatively anemic pass rush (they had the #1 defense despite having only 32 sacks on 533 pass plays, or 1 sack every 16.7 pass plays; the Raiders, for example, had 36 sacks on 474 pass plays, or 1 sack every 13.2 pass plays).

What I find strange about your post is not that you rate Asomugha slightly higher than Revis, although I certainly disagree; it's that you say that "as a raider fan [you] would be pretty pissed if we traded Aso for Revis straight up." That strikes me as completely ridiculous. Even you believe that Revis is at the very worst almost as good as Asomugha (and many people, like me, believe he is better), and he's 4 years younger - any GM who wouldn't take Revis as a straight-up replacement for Asomugha is crazy, especially since it's not like Asomugha doesn't have a high salary.

#13 statjeff22, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Aso isn't targeted nearly as much, because he doesn't mirror the other team's primary receiver all game like Revis, the Raiders run D is abysmal, and the rest of their secondary sucks.. so there's really no reason to target him.

However, when he was targeted last year, he allowed completions on 21 out of 28 targets (75%), according to profootballfocus.com, whereas Revis only allowed something like 39% of the passes his way to be completed.

Obviously I think Revis is better, as do just about all Jets fans, and really nothing would convince us otherwise after watching him last season.

15. nastynice

nastynice New Member

I dont know who raider joe is

Of course I expect more people to say Revis, its a jets board, just wondering what you guys think and WHY you think it. I'm a LITTLE surprised tho, not ONE person has said aso straight up. haha, dont worry, it won't mean ur not a loyal fan.

If the jets traded revis for aso, i'm pretty sure everyone here would be excited....

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

If the Jets trade Revis for anybody, the entire Jet fanbase would revolt.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

You could not be more wrong.

18. nastynice

nastynice New Member

true, true, that's why i said if u asked me last year mid season i would've said revis. But finally jon marshall (our d coordinator) started moving aso around, and he was just as shut down as he was when he was on the right side

19. nastynice

nastynice New Member

Well, I give Revis his due respect, he's an absolute sav. But i don't think you get how shut down aso is. He LITERALLY takes away 1/3 the field from a qb, which based on the three playoff games I saw last year definitely isn't the case for Revis. I'm not saying he won't get there, and by no means am I saying that qb's are just as likely to throw to Revis' side as the other, but he definitely doesn't take away an entire side of the field from a qb.

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Now I haven't seen Woodson play all that much but from what I have seen of him tells me that he is not a true shutdown corner like Revis and Asomugha. The last time I saw Woodson play he was completely raped by Larry Fitzgerald in the playoffs. Between Revis and Asomugha, Revis does more for us than Asomugha does for the Raiders as you alluded to with Revis shadowing opposing no. 1s. Until Asomugha does more "in motion" stuff he should be rated lower than Revis.