Anybody else jumpin on Favre bandwagon??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greatful Jethead, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Greatful Jethead

Greatful Jethead New Member

Gotta admit I had my doubts about Favre coming to a team so late and making a difference. Also was saddened at the fact that Chad didnt get a chance with the lineup we have this year. I also felt that Chad was not to blame for how bad we were offensively. My blame was the offensive line. But after watching Favre's performance in just one game I have to admit I am excited. I cant remember the last time I saw passes thrown like that from a Jet QB. Cotch is gonna be a pro-bowler this year if Favre stays healthy.
    So I guess all I am saying that because I am a Jet fan I have no choice but to be skeptical. But Favre did a lot last night to bring me back from the darkside. Oh and along with hopping on the Favre bandwagon, I also jumped on the rRat-wagon while their was still room. Just waiting for those Kellen holdouts to see the light and that wagon will be full also.

2. graig.323

graig.323 Active Member

Definitely no complaints about last nights performance... still on the dark side... for now.

3. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I saw two teams last night…for a quarter I saw a team with a good quarterback which changes every aspect of the game on both sides of the ball. Then for three quarters I saw the same bullshit I’ve been watching for the last seven years.

I’ve said it a million times – Bellicheat is no special coach…Tom Gaydy is one special quarterback.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I am off the bandwagon and on it. I am going back and forth. Really the best for me is all the media attention. As for his skills, not so much.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

How many teams did you see play with the first string offense?

6. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Just so I'm clear, you are doubting Favre's skills? How can you doubt a guy's skills when he has played in the NFL for a ton of years and produced every single year. He is a hall of fame QB. I could see doubting his will and desire to play for the Jets or his ability to adjust to a new playbook but saying that you doubt his skill is kind of absurd.

7. Greatful Jethead

Greatful Jethead New Member

Interesting...I personaly was from the viewpoint that defense won superbowls and that as long as QB didnt do anything stupid and average QB could take you there. Like Dilfer, And Manning Jr or never a big fan of Mcmahons for the Bears, or even Grossman got them to the Superbowl. Look what happened when Giant D shutdown Brady. I am sure a great QB doesnt hurt your chances, but give me a great D anyday...in my opinion

8. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

You definitely cannot debate Favre's skill level. He is a machine. I completely agree with Greyhounds post.

As for his will and desire to play for the Jets. I have seen nothing as of yet which would raise the question of him not wanting to be wearing a Jet uniform.

9. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

When people are debating this early in the season whether the D can stop the run it is always nice having an offense that can produce points.

I think its a little early for all the D-hate though.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ya but dont have Hall of Fame Brett. We have Brett the older guy who is still capable.

I am not really doubting his skills. I am just not convinced he is the only person who can do this stuff. We got some young QB's on this team that need developing and I am kind of bummed we are not going to be developing that much this year. Make no mistake about it. Brett favre is NOT building towards the future. Its a now thing. Yes the young QB's can learn behind Favre. But that is a small thing compaired to what you learn by actually playing.

And if you watch some Packers games from last season you will see that he is prone to making mistakes at key moments. Just watch the championship game against the Giants.

#10 ouchy, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  11. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I guess I just don't consider 4,155 yards, 28 TDs , and 15 Interceptions stats from a guy who is only "capable". If all these other QBs are capable why are there so many QBs in the league that never come close to these numbers. The experience the rest of this team can get from winning under Favre is more valuable than giving Clemens, Ratliff, or whoever the future QB is more starts. Once the rest of this team is used to winning it will be much easier to substitute a less capable, young quarterback in there.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Do you know haw many pass attempts he had last year? When you mention his stats its worth noting that forcing two interceptions in the forth quarter of a championship game is a con. Especially since they were throws that did not need to be made and cost GB a SB appearence.

Like I mentioned in my original post. I am on and off the bandwagon. Sure there are pros and cons. And they both carry weight.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He threw 2 INT's in that game, 1 in the 4th QTR and 1 in OT. The INT in the 4th quarter was fumbled by the defense and recovered by GB giving them a first down. It hardly contributed to their loss.

The INT in OT was awful.

I heard that Giants defense was pretty good too, how many points did they allow to the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL two weeks later? I'll give you a hint, it's fewer points than the Packers offense scored. The Packers would not have been an overtime away from the superbowl without Favre. Maybe if they were an AFC team they'd have been in the superbowl ...

The Giants won that game mostly because of a ball control, time consuming offense in regulation that was assisted by some stupid GB penalties, and solid defense.

As to the original question - sure, what the hell I'll jump on the band wagon. :smile:

#13 WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

SO he did great and he did awful.

15. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Fine – but take your great defense and put them on the field with an offense incapable of sustaining drives, getting first downs or scoring points and see how long they look like a great defense.

Few in history have done it alone. In most cases a decent offense makes an average defense look pretty damn good.

16. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I'm ON...this kinda reminds me of WAYY back in the day when the Atlanta Braves aquired Terry Pendleton (not a HOFer I know) But he came in and taught the young guys HOW TO WIN!!!...........I just hope that Favre has the same impact on our young team!.........GO J-E-T-S !!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

+I will have to see more than 14 plays. But for a week with the team, he looked pretty good.

18. Blue Moose

Blue Moose New Member

I've been on it since his first game as a 17 year old freshman at Southern Miss. A 17 year old freshman with a bad hangover, I might add;). It's been a helluva ride and I'm glad the wagon's still rolling'.

19. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I've been on the bandwagon since signing day.

20. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

I'm on the Jets bandwagon. It takes a team to win a football game.