A look at our starting QB situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, May 29, 2006.

1. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Clemens starts:

A lot of people are thinking Bollinger will be cut, and that either Ramsey or Pennington will be the starter. I think neither of these will be true.

There is NO WAY other than a career ending injury that Bollinger is not on the roster the entire year. As explained below, even if you think of him as only as a backup we still need him as we may only have 2 viable QBs on our roster going into next season/draft

A. People are hoping that Ramsey "finds it" with the Jets because of a change of scenery. He is more likely to be terrible than the starter based upon previous performance and Washingtons opinion of him. He has a big arm and a first round pick pedigree. That's it. He is purely specualtive potential. He has a reputation for being gun-shy, making poor decisions and fumbling. Gibbs seemed to HATE the guy. I do not think that Gibss became that bad a judge of talent in his hiatus. Ramsey's stats are not great either. I know that some people attribute his lack of success to the "fun and gun" but that is wishful thinking. There is really no reason to expect him to break out. He is much more likely to be Ryan Leaf than the next Bret Favre. He has to learn a new offense, and Mangini will not hand him the job. If he struggles in the pre-season, which he will, the Jets staff will not start him.

He has one year left on his contract. So he is as likely to be one and done as a long term solution. And a backup this year, maybe even third string.

B. Pennington may never play at a true NFL level again. He has had 2 major shoulder injuries and even though he will give it 200%, he may never return. You could almost say at this point it is the likely scenario. So he is one and done as well for cap considerations, and may "play" his final year on the IR. Or be the designated towel waver. I love Chad as a player, and think he is a great guy. It is just unrealistic considering last years performance that he will be able to come back. Even before the second injury he was a shadow of himself. It is really unrealistic to expect a return to form for Chad. Nothing points to it. Remember, Miami passed on Brees because of his injury and it was much less severe than either of Chads.

Which leaves the Jets with only 2 QBs on their roster competing for the top spot and those same two as the only full timeQBs on the roster going into next year:

Bollinger and Clemens

The competition in pre-season will work its way in the last couple weeks to a decision on whether to start Clemens right from the start, or continue with Bollinger the reins. Although the traditional wisdom is to sit a rookie QB for a year, there have been many QBs who have done well as first year starters. Becuase of the OC situation at his college, I think Clemens is a little more suited to start than most first year QBs as he is used to picking up new offenses. Also, new coaching staffs typically want to have their "guy" at QB. Clemens is the guy, especially for Mangini and Schottenheimer. Mangini made a point of complimenting Clemens after rookie mini-camp, especially his leadership abilities. He has great touch and a very good arm. He is mobile, which may be important as the new OL takes some time to gel. He is the prototypical Mangini player: smart, flexible and a good FOOTBALL PLAYER. I think Mangini is already setting the stage for Clemens to take the reins. It makes sense. The Jets will likely not be a playoff team, and as long as Clemens is tough enough to take it, which I think he is, he will learn more starting than on the bench. And the Jets will be better off for it going into next season. Also, starting Clemens really really reinforces the meassage of the type of team they will be. No where better to start the philosophy than at the top.

Conclusion: CLEMENS WILL BE THE STARTING QB FOR THE JETS THIS YEAR

Note on Bollinger: It seems to be the fad to bash Brooks and call for his head on Jets boards. Becuase of the situations with Ramsey and Penny he is going no where. He was a rookie really last year and struggled with NO OL and a coaching staff that gave up on him and the year. Despite this he improved steadily last season. I think he will really surprise in the pre-season. I think that Tangini does view him as the backup though ,and it remains to be seen if he is a Mangini type player as I don't think he has the leadership that Mangini wants. So I don't think he will get the starting nod. But he will likely be #2. And may seriously push for the top spot.

Regardless of how he does though, I still think Clemens will be a first year starter. It just seems to fit, and makes the most sense for the team going forward.

Our depth chart:

1. Clemens
    2. Bollinger
    3. Ramsey
    4. Chad or Brad Smith if Penny winds up on IR

Final note: if the QB situation plays out as I expect, Brad Smith (who will be succesfull at WR this year) will find himself as the third string QB as well.

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Even after reading that, there is no way clemens starts this year unless it is half way through the season and ramsey/pennington are both hurt. And keep in mind, clemens is still recovering from an ankle injury.

#2 RobA, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  3. MillerTime#22

MillerTime#22 Active Member

Do you want Clemmons to fail?? There is no way in hell Clemmons should start this year, he should be limited to clipboard duty and learn the game from the sideline and practice, just like Palmer did in Cincy. Then next year you give him the chance to win the spot. We've seen many of rookie QB's fail when they're thrown into the fire. Lets mold clemmons for a year and then unleash the dragon...or duck in this case.

4. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

No chance this is right. Clemens will not start - he'd be the coaches' fourth choice of starters for this year. Bollinger will not even make the team unless either they decide to carry FOUR QBs - almost unherad of, or one of the QBs goes down in preseason.

5. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

i myself dont think it is fair to compare clemens to palmer

he didnt have nearly as much success in college and he doesnt have a player like chad johnson.

palmer had the ideal situation for a rookie qb and i dont think clemens will have that when he gets the go ahead to start

6. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

7. johnnysd

Of course I don't want to fail. Certainly some rookie QB starters do not fare well. But many do. If the Jets had a strong option at QB it makes sense to sit him but they don't. I think it is in the best interest of both Clemens and the Jets for him to start. The stage has already been set. Mangini and Tannenbaum have said all 4 QBS will COMPETE for the top spot. In my view Pennington wont be able to play, Ramsey will continue to suck, so it will come down to Clemens or Bollinger and they will choose Clemens. For every Palmer there is a Rivers, for every Roethlisberger, Marino there is a Ryan Leaf. Did the Mannings hurt themselves by staring first year? There is no set rule, or definite trend on first year QBs. It depends on the QB and the situation. The Jets QB situation points to Clemens starting from the beginning. He is the best option. They will play him.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only way Clemens even sniffs the starting lineup is due to injuries, and maybe not even then.

9. MillerTime#22

I understand why you want him to start, but don't you think he'll learn more his first year by watching. The speed of the game in the NFL is way faster then college, we all know that. And i'm not comparing Clemmons to Palmer, but I'm almost positive that him sitting that first year made it an easy transition to start in the future. I really don't want to have an Akili Smith on our hands by starting him right away.

10. johnnysd

I did not say I WANT him to start. I understand the logic somewhat of sitting the rookie. But if you decide that sitting is not a hard and fast rule as the FO and coaching staff has already, and than look at the situation (which is unusual, and not all good) I think it is easy to see that the Jets do not have that luxury and that the logical choice will be to start Clemens. But it is not my wish. I am not being emotional here, just logical.

11. MillerTime#22

Then i really don't understand your logic, we have ramsey and hopefully a healthy penny on the roster, one of whom should start his season. Clemmons is our future, we need to mold him for that role, not rush him.

12. johnnysd

Didn't you read my post? I am saying that we will NOT have a healthy Pennington and Ramsey will continue to suck. That is why Clemens will get the nod.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

whoah,whoah, whoah

First of all, you are too quick to discount Ramsey. Remember that he is the guy that made Coles a pro-bowl caliber receiver (snoop dogg wore his jersey in a video-if that doesn't say success, what does?). I still don't think he has gotten his fair chance. Speaking of fair chances, Bollinger showed a lot of moxy last year behind a tattered line and his #2 receiver, #1RB and TE out of the lineup. I am not sure about his full time starter ability, but I do think he makes on hell of a #2. Maybe we could trade him for a 2nd rounder ala A.j. Feely later down the road. My only worry about Clemens is what to do with him when Ramsey is already carrying the load (what a great problem to have). I love me some Chad, but its time to hang up the cleats and pick up the towel, at least for a year. I would love to keep him around as a QB coach once he comes to the realization that he will never start again in the NFL. Maybe he could play for the Argos for a year b4 he retires and returns as a coach. But it will be good to have him around clemens for a year.

My projection:
    1. Ramsey
    2. Bollinger (first half)
    3. Clemens (maybe moves up second half or could just stay here for a year)
    4. IR: Chad

14. MillerTime#22

I agree, i personally think Ramsey can have success if our line gives him some time back there. He played behind a depleted skins line the year he started all those games. Ramsey will be our starter when the smoke clears.

#14 MillerTime#22, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Penny starts out the year on the PUP list. Ramsey starts the season with Bollinger as his back up. After 6 weeks or so, when Penny is elgible to be activated the QB situation is reaccessed.. Clemens will carry the clipboard until our season is for all intents over, which should be between wks 8 & 12.. Clemens gets the ball from that point on & hopefully keeps it for the next decade..

17. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

No way

Clemens will not start this year. Bollinger will get the start ahead of him if Penny and/or Ramsey can't cut it. But I'm betting Ramsey will be okay.

18. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

NO WAY Clemens starts.......like you said it's all speculation........guess we'll see...........I still like Pennington

19. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Chad is still the man. That said, if things head south this season, I don't see why the new people in charge wouldn't put in Clemons. Brick aside, Clemons is going to be the symbol on the field of the new regime...eventually. Maybe this year, I have no crystal ball any more than any of the rest of us.

20. theanalogkid

theanalogkid New Member

They aren't going to throw Clemens in unless he's the last guy on this list. He needs time to develop himself, and shell shocking him is counterproductive.