49ers and Jets interested in Brian Hoyer.....please God no

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by STARoSCREAM, Mar 8, 2017.

1. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

as per Bleacher Report the Jet and 49ers are interested in QB Brian Hoyer.

I hope this is just posturing....

We don't need another sad retread QB. Truly break it down and build from scratch, not the same old "competitive rebuild"

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

we should've signed hoyer last offseason for $2 million instead of giving Fitz $12 million.

I was KILLED for suggesting that on this board last offseason. btw.

Hoyer now wouldn't be a bad signing because he is cheap and if he gets beat out in training camp you cut him during final cut downs and you don't have to pay his whole salary anyway. If he emerges as the best QB we have, well then we are only paying the starting QB $2 mill. seems win win to me

TonyFtLaud, All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  3. STARoSCREAM

last year we had hope to possibly make the playoffs though, this year we are in complete rebuild. This doesnt make sense now

4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This is going backwards, period.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is extremely doubtful that Mac would go into the season with Petty, Hack and a rookie, particularly with Bowles quite possibly on the hot seat. Even if Mac wanted to, Bowles will be in Woody's ear campaigning for a veteran QB and Morton may be as well.

Would you rather pay Glennon $14-$15 million or Tyrod Taylor $18-$20 million (or more)?

I don't like Hoyer, either, but even forgetting Bowles, I can see the wisdom in having a veteran QB here to help mentor Petty and Hack.

If forced to bring in a veteran QB, who would you bring in?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Meh, they are going to sign a jag, thats inevitable, just hope they sign him understanding he is tthe backup going in and give hak and petty first crack

7. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

We need a QB..... and I'd rather get Hoyer at a fair price, then Glennon at a price that's absolutely insane......

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It makes sense if you don't plan on bringing fitzpatrick or geno smith back.

there's room for a 3rd QB anyway and at only $2mill a year having a veteran in the room is good for the young QBs. also, if you get through camp and you realize you actually don't need him, you gank him and you are only out paying him for his time in august. What is there to dislike?

9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Look guys I'm not the biggest fan of Hoyer like literally not at all but this is kinda the situation now, we are in full rebuild mode and this would probably be the best move in the long run. I dont even like Glennon but why would he want to come here I'm glad he didnt as it looks like he's headed to to Chicago and Hoyer is gonna be a much cheaper option. At this point its looks like were shooting for a QB in 2018. The Jets aren't going into the season with just Hack and Petty we need a vet and he's cheap.

Pags2112, TonyFtLaud and ajax like this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Every off season we have the same conversation.. sucks

kevda5n9ne and Red Menace like this.
  11. Jay Bizniss

I am just tired. Mentally drained from it all really. Can I enjoy a spring/summer without worrying about who the fuck my QB is going to be in September?

Please.

TonyFtLaud, kevda5n9ne and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Hoyer is probably our best reasonable option for getting a decent veteran QB without making a stupid financial commitment

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Or maybe, TB and his OC and their QB coach can focus on developing one of their young QBs. (Insert Sam Kinison)

It's not that hard to do what John Elway did last year with the Broncos, give the 2 year guy a chance to learn and develop.

There is no pressure on this staff, Woody already said playoffs is not a mandate, he is giving them a free ride.

A stop gap does nothing positive for this team, it prevents the rookies from getting meaningful snaps and it will give TB a crutch, he WILL start Hoyer, even as he stinks it up.

That will be 2 years that one of the young QBs could of had to develop. Last year with Fitz playing the stop gap role and this year with Hoyer if he is the stop gap QB.

Our young receivers will not develop because Hoyer is not going to get them the ball.

Hoyer has been with 5 teams, if the Jets sign him it will be his 6th team, he is another Ryan Fitzpatrick in the making.

Is this what this fan base really wants?

It's not rocket science, let the young guys go through the growing pains of becoming NFL QBs.

#13 Red Menace, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  14. Jay Bizniss

We been stop gaping since Namath.

15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of his, but I wonder what Cutlers market value will be if Glennon, Hoyer, Taylor, and Romo all find spots. If the Jets miss out on Hoyer and he gets paid $3mio would Cutler get $5 mil?

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Let the two kids on roster play and gain experience...the Season tanks

Let Hoyer come on the cheap as TBs/Macs security blanket... He will have the honor of being the official QB of 2017 tanking

I am fine with both options because we can actually take a FQB in 2018

Insurance : Plant an Agent on the Browns to give them some incentive to WIN a lot of games...somehow. Consult Rick Pitino about this

Thats the Plan... Man

jmho

#16 NYJetsO12, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. STARoSCREAM

I agree whole-heartedly. I do WANT to go in with just Hack as the starter and Petty as a backup.

Sink or swim time. More than likely sink, which means we can shoot for a Franchise QB prospect next year as well as add to the core of young players and trim the fat from the roster of both older and younger guys that can't cut it

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a long term plan, you can't figure out what you have for the long term if you don't let them play. I'm flabbergasted by the fact that men making millions of dollars a year, can't figure this out.

It really is mind numbing.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

NFL Network had him ranked first out of free agent QBs on their shows yesterday.

If the price is right he seems about as good as any other veteran.

20. STARoSCREAM

Same thing with the "stability" argument. This is not the year for that. They shouldn't need a Vet QB to help them, they have a QB coach for that. If Hack and Petty are mentally tough enough, then they'll make it. If not, we know where our focus is next off-season. Enough of this babying of young QBs, we can develop them without being overly sensitive to their "feelings"