1986 AFC Divisional: New York Jets vs. Cleveland Browns airs on NFL Network 3/31 4am

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Flyboy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

1986 AFC Divisional: New York Jets vs. Cleveland Browns - All the drama of this historic game is relived in this 90-minute special as NFL FILMS reconstructs the game using archival footage and the original radio calls. All the excitement from the Browns double overtime 23-20 victory in the AFC Divisional round.

Just saw this on the shedule for next week and thought some might want to know.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Ah yes, the phantom Gastineau roughing the passer penalty game.

3. Roanoke

Roanoke New Member

Thanks for posting this. This is the one game I have always wanted to see. I was working that day and had to listen to it on the radio.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I have this game in my collection, I have watched it a couple of times, always hoping for a different ending:sad:

5. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

I could never watch this game again. It's the most sick I've been after a loss. I was in the Air Force stationed in the Philippines at the time and it'll always be the worst loss in my mind. Worse than the "mud bowl" because we were never in the drivers seat in that game. The only thing that would have come close would have been if we had lost to San Diego a few years ago. For me, this is the worst loss ever. I still feel it.

6. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Yea this game is great- where Steiner basically says the Jets win the game with 5 minutes or so left in the 4th.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I have not watched this since the game was played and never want to watch it again. Just thinking about it hurts.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

looked on schedual, did'nt see it. you sure of the date?

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Let's see now, watch this game or wash down a bowl of crushed glass with Draino? Decisions, decisions...

10. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

looked on the tv schedule and it's still listed and scheduled to be recorded (have dvr) and, I also checked the online nfl network schedule and noticed it isn't listed anymore. hmm.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes then watch that game again. This thread is some kind of joke, right?

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Phantom roughing the passer penalty game? That was text book roughing the passer. Worst play. There was nothing phantom about it. Worst game ever for this Jet fan.

13. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

If you've watched the game, you'll know there were many opportunities all through the 4th quarter and OTs for Jets to win the game.

After the Gastineau penalty and just before the Browns scored to tie it, one of the young Jet LBs (who's name escapes me now) drops a sure INT at the 2 yard line.

And let's not forget Walton's chickenshit play calling before that series. The Jets were one first down away from draining the clock and Walton calls 3 running plays and a punt. Meanwhile, the Jets have Al Toon and Walker (who'd already beaten them deep) scaring the crap out of the Cleveland secondary. They would've conceded the 1st down to keep from getting toasted by 85 and 88.

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Pat Ryan should have started and finished this game and the Jets would have won.

I don't need to relive the agony.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Your joke may have worked if you actually get NFLN.

You don't so the joke falls short.

16. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to be taping this for sure.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

got it! oh the pain:sad:

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He got hurt, if he didn't get hurt we win that game.

He had zero confidence in O'Brien and even if we threw w/ the way O'Brien was playing we wouldn't have gotten a 1st down barring a miracle.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Not at the time. You were allowed one or two steps(can't remember now which it was) and a hit. Everybody had been doing it all year including him. This time they decide to call it a penalty. Today it of course would be a penalty. Now you can't sneeze near the QB after they release the ball. However, it was still stupid and unnecessary. I just don't think it was illegal and at the time a lot of other people thought that way too.

#19 Don, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its funny - most of the fans that saw this game live dont want to see it again.

Those that were to young need to watch it and learn our culture of suffering and pain.