ok folks - play GM on the 29th

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

you all have been doing it since creation so lets have it. its saturday the 29th and its approximately 12:45pm and you are on the clock. the phone is ringing off the hook at hofstra with teams such as the raiders, lions, vikings and even the broncos offering a wealth of picks for your spot....

why???? because there are 2 studs left at the top of your draft board - mario williams and matt leinart at selection #4. teams have been drooling over these guys for a few months now and its time to make a move.

williams gives you a chance to immediately upgrade an already respectable unit and leinart gives you the hope of the second coming of joe willie.

if its my team - i either take williams or trade out - the offer i deem the best HAS to get me another first rounder this year or next AND other first day picks. Obviously my intent would be to drop far enough to secure value AND get my hands on cutler - but not too far. if the deal isn't there i take williams and turn my attention to the 07 draft for a QB

this will not be the popular choice but, IMO, you can win with a stellar defense and a not so stellar QB. for me there is not so much of a talent gap from cutler to leinart and i already know there will be some talent coming out in 07. i also will use a mid round pick on one of the second or 3rd tier qb's like a jacobs, olsen or even a basanez.

the jets need players now - the first draft of a new regime is usually the BEST chance to accumulate talent.

jil

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I would also trade out of the spot and take the farm of picks. And try to pick up D. Williams in the process to run our backfield for the next decade. Curtis ain't getting any younger.

3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

If we are pretending that Leinart is still available, then he is the pick. I will listen to trade offers for 5 minutes because if someone is going to offer the farm, sometimes you have to take it. After listening to offers that don't come close to Leinarts value, I take my card up to Mr. Tagliabue and I smile because I know that I made the right choice, and whether he is a bust or one of the best ever, he was the right pick for the team.

4. phubbadaman

Deangelo Williams, do you know who me reminds me of....Derrick Blaylock. Small, shifty, speedy. I don't know about Blaylock, but Williams had a great college career, but this isn't the NCAA anymore. The NFL has huge guys that will shut his ass down. I was high on him during the regular season because I thought we needed Martin's replacement, but we don't, we need to fix the offensive line, it all starts there.

5. RobA

We will fix the o-line. With other picks.

6. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Nick mangold will be the second offensive lineman late first round so we should grab mangold at 29 if he is there.

7. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I don't know why everyone thinks we need to pick a running back high in the draft. Why not go with offensive/defensive line? I think we need another tackle, and perhaps another linebacker. I'd also entertain cornerback. But running back? We can address that later, or simply put, not at all.

8. RobA

RB is a position that badly needs to be addressed and early. I'm sick of "Hand off to curtis martin, dives forward for gain of 1" every down. Curtis is not getting any younger and definitely showed his age last season (yes I know he was injured, but he looked no better in weeks 1-2). Also, blaylock and houston are no more than backups. We need a RB and we need one early in the draft.

9. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I agree. We need Oline and Dline help alot more than we need Running Backs.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

My draft board at # 29 would look like this:

1. Eric Winston
    2. Antonio Cromartie
    3. Any "top 20 player" that somehow drops
    4. Top OG

11. phubbadaman

Curtis Martin is a year removed from nearly 1700 yards. He never broke long runs, he averaged 4.5 a carry and that is what he got you, nearly 5 yards every time he touched the ball. That isn't from being the fastest or the strongest, that is from running behind a bully of an offensive line. Curtis is on his last legs, but he can still play, as long as there is a line in front of him. RB will be addressed next year, unless Houston ends up being a player.

I still hate Herman for not playing the young guys at the end of the year to see if they had any skills. Why wasn't Houston/Pouha out there?!?!

12. beastindamiddle51

beastindamiddle51 New Member

2 reasons why a dynamic back with speed and agility is needed ASAP.
    the reason will solve all questions about QB and OL.

1) a dynamic back such as Bush or D.Williams will take less pressure off the passing game making
    - chad's or ramsey's re-journey into the world of football
    - a rookie QB's best friend to ease the trasnsition to the NFL

2) a dynamic back will upgrade an already average line. the line wont have to work so much harder as they would for a back that cant cut or change direction in the nick of a dime or have that breakway speed. curtis aint gonna run way from nobody thats why we need linemen that can block downfield, thus the impact of losing mawae will be felt, but if we had a back that could, linemen only need to block up to the second level IF THAT.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I think he is asking what we do on the 29th of April with our #4 pick!

I take Matt Leinart and don't think twice about it.

14. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

If we can get Mangold at #29....and add him to either M. Williams or D'Brick at #4, we are looking good and we still have a high 2nd round, two 3rds, and two 4ths.

15. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I'm like Jil, If the Lions come calling with their #7, 2nd rounder this year, first round pick next year and an addition day 2 pick next year then I make the trade and take Winston Justice if available.
    If I stay and Leinart is available then you have to take him.

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Last season Curtis Martin was playing with torn ligaments in his knee not to mention a shitty Oline...the year before that he was the NFL's rushing king...you put two and two together...

Curtis Martin is getting older, but when we have Blaylock Houston and Martin all on the same team it makes no sense to ge after a franchise RB NOW...it would be wise in a year or so, but not now...we have no Oline and we have no QB...

17. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

plus we can wait till next year and draft adrian peterson:up:

18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

just a bit off- topic but i was looking at PennyantheJets Avator...DBRICK LOOKS LIKE A TWIG!!! are you guys sure we want him...im sure hes strong but he might get pushed around of he doesnt beef up more then the 15 he put on before the combine

19. ColoradoJets

ColoradoJets Member

I'm with you about a great defense being more important than a qb. I'm all for trading out if the offer is right to slide a few picks down, but not too far down. I don't want to slide down for Cutler though, I would rather wait until round 2 or 3 before a qb is picked.

If we went into next year with a much improved defense we would be a much improved team. I would like to see us address linemen on both sides of the ball first before a running back or a qb. A pass rushing LB would be pretty sweet too.

20. Warrior

Warrior Member

Trade down and take the draft picks and run. The Jets will then draft a DT with their 1st pick. They can then shore up the OL ,Secondary,RB and special teams thereafter. The Jets will not invest major $$$$ on one pick in my opinion.