Time to dump Baker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JCotchrocket, Oct 13, 2008.

1. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

OK, not to be a dick, but Chris Baker has damn good hands. That's not one of his knocks.

The issue to me is on-field awareness. Obviously the strip sack is a big part of this. But also, historically, I don't think Baker is very good at getting seperation, I think he's a lackadaisical route runner (most of his catches seem to be either wheel routes or short curls) and he has absolutely no YAC potential. He just cannot turn and run.

But also, there have been more than a few times I've seen Baker over the years catch passes he hasn't even seen, they just happened to be perfectly placed by Chad Pennington. It's as if he wasn't even looking for the pass. (Has anyone else noticed this?)

All was well, however, because he was D'Brick's designated chipper. If he's not going to be an effective, INTELLIGENT pass blocker, put in Keller or Franks.

Or Pociask. (sigh). Oh well, moot point after the deadline.

2. Phlyphrytz

Phlyphrytz New Member

Fuck Chris Baker! That mediocre piece of shizzzzznit!!!!!! He better be gone after this season or Im giving up on the Jets FO altogether. Great moves like KJenkins, Cpace, Dwoody arent complimented well when you keep a POS like Baker.

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

He does make some bone-headed plays. However, he sometimes comes through on big 3rd downs with a nice catch. These big plays are reason to keep him around, imo

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Correct, the idea that Baker has questionable hands is an idea from someone has watched him all of half a season. He's got a couple drops, but he also has arguably the best hands on the team.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Ok. I am willing to give you that Chris Baker may have the best hands on the team.
    (20% drop ratio? Sounds like shit to me)

2. He was responsible for the strip sack in the 1st quarter.

3. He couldn't block properly in the 1st INT - even committed holding.

Good blocker? Good riddance!

Get his ass out of here. NOW.

6. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

first are you watching the games??? favres pass got tipped so i'd say it was almost guaranteed to be a pick if baker didnt put a hand on that ball

second idk y everyone is being so harsh on baker, last season he had a solid year and idk call me an idiot but i'm pretty sure he has close to if not the best hands on the team....he's not a blocking te!! now that we got keller tho and seeing as franks is older than hell i think i might be a good idea to look into a true blocking te and then include keller as the main receiving te and not have to split time with baker

he's not a bad te by any means

7. uberchink

uberchink New Member

lol yea if anything that was almost an amazing catch by baker. watch the replay if u dont agree

8. mash84

mash84 Member

Please tell me you're kidding. Baker has been a good TE for the team and he has made mistakes. No TE is perfect and to think about cutting him for two miscues and a flawed statistic, is crazy. If Favre throws more passes to him, nobody would be thinking about cutting him.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He is a solid TE. Why is this guy so hated? I love it.

The guy probably has the best hands on the team. Which is a huge plus. TE's are often times used for big 3rd down plays, so it helps to have a 3rd down TE with amazing hands. That kind of thing is only useful, like, always.

Are people really complaining about him celebrating after a first down? Are you fucking kidding me? This team is finally starting to turn into a fiery team, yet, a player gets shit on for being fiery? Where is the logic in that? Favre and many other factors is bringing a spark to this team, finally, and that is exciting. I finally feel like I'm rooting for a team that is exciting to watch. I just don't get some people.

He is a solid TE that isn't very cap heavy for the Jets. Why would getting rid of him help the Jets at all? Seriously.. At what point does getting rid of him help this team? We all can agree that you would not get much from a trade with him, only other option would be to release him, where is the benefit there?

He is clearly the best TE on the roster as of now. Keller may or may not surpass him, only time will tell this, right now though, he is doing what he is suppsed to for this team. As always. Yet most hate him.

Go figure..

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now cite he instances he let us down for the other 3 games. Laveranues Coles had 2 drops in the first 2 weeks, he's actually let TD passes squirt through his hands and has been given a pass. And rightfully so. Most players on the team can have a bad game and not get torched by the board, but there are some that do get goated because of reasons other than their performance. Baker had a bad game.

11. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I like baker his hands are exceptional. I think his blocking is so so and his route running is so so. The problem is the jets have so many TE's they don't know who they wanna throw the ball too or make a play for. I don't see any other TE on our team breaking big plays off and thas simply because there not incorparating them in the plays.

12. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

You may get your wish, the Jets seem like they've positioned themselves for this option. Andrew Brandt had a great piece on his contract extension last month: