Favre Backup club- Excellent article in Times

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Practice squads? He had long since lost his eligibility to be on them.

He finished up with the Eagles and then went back to GB. He had too many injuries late in his career from what I can recall.

2. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

It wasn't just the injuries - he played the prime of his career with GB. If you remember back far enough he wasn't a stud out there. His most memorable catch was a OT bomb that was more luck then anything else, and on top of that while he held a lot of good numbers with Favre, he never was a guy you gameplanned for. Of course, Favre was a big TE throwing man in those days, so that makes a difference. Still, one must understand that he left GB with high hopes of continuing, and played very poorly with the eagles. While he did get hurt, it was week 13, and I believe up to that point he had 22 catchs on the season. He just turned out to not be all that good. This has been the case for most WR's that left GB during Favre's era. Bill Schroeder, And that other guy... was number 85 and was great with the long ball... chatman? No... anyways I can't recall, but he was good with us and crap without us.

My point was favre's wr's have been average, at best, most of his career. Most of them are third wr's at best on most clubs. The packers were never big on getting play making wr's, they wanted to run screens (which sadly, they hardly do anymore) and do dump offs, with a QB that likes to go deep.

3. Ray

Ray New Member

Maybe you mean one route only Corey Bradford.

Freeman had really one good year, after which he got a big contract, never did great after that. Slow, too.

Agree, Favre had average WRs, think that was why he really wanted Moss. Greg Jennings looks to be the best since Sharpe.

4. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Someone asked about Maj. He was a good QB and was probably a top 10 QB but he got hurt and was a little inconsisitent compared to Favre. I'll say this for Maj. he liked to win, he was a gunslinger and he was a gamer.

5. GreenbayJet

GreenbayJet New Member

IMO.....Freeman was an excellent reciever....why?.....because he was so
    clutch. No, he was`nt fast but he would get open and catch the ball,which
    is what great recievers do, and mostly when the Packers needed a first down.But I`ll agree that he fell off the map after his big contract. In which I blame,partly on his dumbfounded respect for Andre Rison.

6. Mr. Papagiorgio

Sharpe was the best receiver Favre ever had in Green Bay and he only had him at the very beginning of his career. Guys like Freeman and Schroeder were average receivers at best that benefited from having Favre in his prime. Freeman had the horrible habit of catching balls with his body rather than his hands. GM Ron Wolf always said he regretted not surrounding Favre with talent. One of Wolf's biggest mistakes was passing on Moss in the draft. He let others talk him out of it.

#26 Mr. Papagiorgio, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  7. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I'll say another thing about Majikowski for you -- He was an A-1 prima donna. I knew the sister of a woman he was briefly engaged to. Guess wht He gave her one christmas? An autographed picture of himself. Yep. But wait, it gets better. Wanna know how he signed it? The Magic Man. I'm not making this up. I also remember the time he sued the Packers/NFL and won, but was awarded only something like $1 in damages.

The point of this article is, Brett is nothing like that.