Newer Members ? Calling You Out, Volume II

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sundayjack, Apr 6, 2006.

1. cox51

cox51 New Member

1. I felt that Herm needed to go, the preaching was getting a little to old. Mangini should make for a good head coach but it is not going to come overnight. 2. It would be nice if they make a move for Leinhart, new Head Coach new GM new QB really start rebuilding. If they stay at 4 and Matt is not there I think D'Brick would make the most sense(If he can dominate like he did). We lost two big O-Lineman and that is definitely a position that cannot be over-looked.
    3. 2006 will be a success if we can go 7-9.
    4. I think it will depend on if we draft one of the big 3 QB's and start to rebuild around one of them. If Rad Chad can come back strong and they draft D'Brick we just have to worry about Curtis on offense. Hopefully Mangini can rebuild the Defense and maybe we can see 2007 record of 10-6 or 9-7.

Great site guys. Keep it up.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with grabbing a guy from a winning program. Lets face it, thats really all we have to go on right? The pats numbers against the pass (with Mangini being the DB coach..then the DC for one year) werent record breaking. But he did have the ability to lose players and replace them and keep the Pats Superbowl contenders/winners.

Last season the numbers slipped...but so did everything about the Pats.

Good post and welcome aboard...keep posting those thoughts buddy!

3. jaywayne12

Good thoughts.

You will get arguements about drafting a QB...then again...you have a bunch of guys that will agree with you. Personally...I crap my pants thinking about drafting a QB after being "rewarded" with such a high impact pick.

The paranoid part of me says that if the QB is not even a bust...even if he turns out just to be a nice QB in the NFL...there are so many impact players that will step in year one and help out and prosper pretty much during the first season.

With that said...I can totally understand posters that want a QB NOW. Totally. Would never argue with them about it....its just looking back at some of the high draft pick QB's that busted out...it would hurt this franchise and this new regime greatly if that were the case.

We shall see. Welcome aboard!! Keep posting those good thoughts.

4. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

A Scott Dierking fan. Awesome. I still remember the game where he rushed for 90+ yards in the first half and then barely played in the second half so he didnt get 100 yards.
    Thanks Joe!

1. I felt the same way with Coslet but that era was the worst drafting era in Jets history and of course the O'Brien/Esiason saga.

2. I dont want to give up all that would be needed in order to get Leinart but next to Bush he is the first guy I would want. If the Titans do decide to go with McNair jr. (Young) then we have to take Leinart at 4. I would run out right after the draft to get my Leinart jersey.

3. Chad staying healthy and on the field for the whole year would be a success all around. Unfortunately his history doesnt show that he will.

4. A very patient man. Come year 4, you may be in the minority but dont let it sway you.

Sounds like another positive thinker. Welcome aboard!

5. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Congrats on GMU great run during the NCAA tourny. The party scene must have been wild during it.

I like this teams D as well if we can get someone who will be able to put pressure on the QB. The line is the biggest question mark right now without Abe.
    Can Thomas finally prove that his draft spot was worth it. Can D-Rob dominate as the #4 pick should. Will Ellis become the All-pro that most of us believe he should be and who will line up next to D-Rob and clog up the holes to let the LB's make their plays?
    There are more holes on the offensive side of the ball but the D-line will have to get upgraded if the Jets want to compete.

Welcome and keep posting.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

What, ONE post and it's right back back into the tall grass?

Hooterville Heineywipers. . . hehe . . . did the Bills move and I just wasn't told?

Nice post.

7. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

After this last FA signing of Kassell, I am more impressed with the GM, if he keeps this up and has a good draft we are going to have a solid FO and Coaching Staff for a long time.

8. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager? Happy since he will instill a good defensive scheme .

(2) Who are you hoping the Jets pick in the 2006 Draft? The best available player weather it be Leinart Young DBrick whoever will fit in to their new schemes .

(3) The 2006 season will be a success if. . . . The Jets stay healthy and avoid contraversy

(4) How long do you give the Mangini/Tannenbaum administration to succeed? 1-2 years .

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Whats up Cox. I'm a bit surprised your the first poster I've seen with a COx username..:up: I agree with your thoughts about the QB, what better way to start the rebuilding process than with a QB with the potential of Leinart.

I wouldn't put a number of wins tied to the success of this coming season. For me if we keep getting better each week whether we win or lose that would be a successful season in my eyes. Welcome aboard the best Jets fans site on the web..

10. rickobs

rickobs New Member

I'm not exactly new as I've been on the site for a few years, but I don't get a ton of time to post so I guess my #'s are a little low which makes me a bit of a lurker. Love the site though, always come here first for info and am always up for a little hot stoving...

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?

My first impression of Mangini was dissapointment over his lack of experience. Only one year as a D Coordinator didn't seem to put him in the elite category. I liked Herm, but his inexperience was his biggest fault and I hate to see us repeat the trend. That being said, I am forever optimistic and he seems to be saying all the right things... as for Tannenbaum, it was just a matter of time...

(2) Who are you hoping the Jets pick in the 2006 Draft?

I'm hoping they trade up with the Saints and take Leinart. The most exciting moments the last few years for me were seeing Chad really move the ball down the field... I think the Pennington era is pretty much over and I would love to see us jump right in and get a QB who can move the ball with confidence. Also, we have a lot of young guys on D and it would be nice to bring some youth to the O at skill positions so that the team can grow together over the next year or two.

(3) The 2006 season will be a success if. . . .

We find a QB, RB and OL that set us up for 07/08 and guys like D-rob, Vilma, Coleman, Miller, etc. step it up a notch.

(4) How long do you give the Mangini/Tannenbaum administration to succeed?

We need to be back in the playoffs by 08/09 season and contending 09/10.

11. estang74

estang74 Member

1) good choice, love Tannenbaum as GM.
    2) super mario, tamba hali early second if possible.
    3) team plays as a team and young secondary steps up.
    4) 3 to 5 years would be fair, escpecially long enough to get in players they want.

12. jaywayne12

Quietly....the team has become younger, faster...and most importantly the front office/coaching staff has kept its promise.No longer spending stupid money on high priced free agent signings but rather have gone after "football players..guys that live and breath the game" a cliche that wins..period...couldnt agree with you more.

13. jaywayne12

The more time passes...the more I believe your answer to number 4 will be correct. I believe the Jets will surprise most by being very competitive this year...competitive doesnt always mean 500...but being in most games.

Have no idea how this draft will pan out...but if the limited history of this new regime holds up...something tells me that after the draft is finished...alot of us will be saying that this light at the end of the tunnel isnt as far away as some thought it would be.

This light isnt exactly a Superbowl...just saying that this team now has a chance to make the playoffs. This year? Probably not.

#193 jaywayne12, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  14. jaywayne12

Good post!

It would be a bit of a letdown if it takes to 09 to get to the playoffs again. MT/EM have pretty much set the tone that this goal should happen quicker than that. They arent going after stop gaps...they are going after younger guys that should be able to step in and grasp the system by week 8 or so this year. I would like to see the Jets at least make a run the following season.

I guess theres two ways of looking at it. Was the defense a bunch of underachievers last year? Were they not prepared physically/mentally? I believe that to be the truth. I just believe that Ellis, Robertson, Vilma (I know the stats were good..but not the ability to change a game) and all of the young DB's that have either fallen off...or not hit their potential are a result of poor preperation...both gameday and camp.

Lets not forget what the difference of a coaching staff can do with some of the same players...example Kotite/Parcells.

Will it be that much of a swing? Probably not...but there is no question in my mind that this roster is better than the one that was coached by the guy thats preaching in KC, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

If you werent a Herm Edwards supporter...then there is only one reason this team had success in the past...the roster was better than the coach.

15. JW69

JW69 New Member

Better late than never...

(1) First impression?mixed emotions but overall a good hire. Someone who is motivated, dedicated, and comes with a strong football background is a good hire considering the other options that the Jets were exploring (I cringe at the thought that Tice or Vitt could be our coach and Terry our GM) I think we did quite well everything considered. The more I see from them the more impressed I am. I hate the fact that we were in the position that we were in with Herm because I loved the guy and I thought we didn?t handle the situation as well as we could have. Anyway, despite the fact that both of them lack the years of experience as GM and head coach I think that the above factors will out weigh the negatives. These guys are committed to excellence and it already appears that they will do what it takes to make this team a perennial contender. On a similar note, I don't expect us to win against the Patriots this year. Belichick will use the knowledge Mangini has against him because this is what Belichick does well. The less knowledge people have about Bill the better off they are because he uses what you know against you. So the key is when we play the Pats we should put the game plan together as if we are playing the Cowboys. We always play our division tough and I expect this to continue.

(2) I used to be high on D'Brickashaw and I still think we should consider Leinart if he is there (pipe dream) but the more I think about it the more I think we need to go defense with our first pick. If we go Mario or AJ I think we get a solid starter. The safer bet is AJ because I feel Mario, Brick and Leinart present a much better upside but at a higher risk. If we wind up with any of the four I'm happy. Stay away from young and #4 is too high for Cutler (despite the fact that I like the guy) considering we have so many other needs to fill. I am also open to the possibility of trading our pick and getting some more picks this year or next year. We should go after Mangold with the 29th, if he is there, and if he isn't we should jump at DeAngelo, if he is there, in that order. If neither is there I am really undecided. In either case we should be seriously looking at building the O line with at least 2 picks on day 1.

(3) We show great chemistry/teamwork and each week we show improvement while developing guys for next year. Lets set up our organization for the future. I don't want to see any short term thinking from anyone inside or outside the organization (I am talking to press and more importantly the fans). I am not so concerned with wins and losses, and as a matter of fact we should not even be talking about our w/l record is going to be this year. Next year we can start that conversation again. I am more concerned with the planning, preparation and finding ballers (e.g. see ya Abe) and finding out how capable is the coaching staff. Anyone on the site who is negatively criticizing our guys this year should be shot and banned from the forum. They will provide the same value if either step is followed.

(4) As long as it takes as long as we are showing progress and the players are going balls to the wall for them. I will give them more leeway if Tangini is still as committed to the organization as they are today. Along the lines of the answer you are looking for?By the third year we should be strong contenders for the division and considered a quality playoff team. By the third year people should be talking about the Jets and saying that they are a team that has all of the talent and skills to go all the way. I am so sick of hearing same old Jets and any Jets fan who says this is not a true fan.

It looks like I am the one with the fewest posts so I will try to make this as painless as possible. My saving grace is that I have been a long time Jets fan and have been to too many games to count. I have been reading posts on this site for the last year or so and I think this is the best Jets site out there so I finally signed up last month. I really enjoy reading about people?s experiences at the games and some of their perceptions and opinions. I was a season ticket holder since I was old enough to hold my own ticket and I have been to every Jets home game up until 2 years ago (with the exception of the Kotite years when I denounced the Jets until he was gone because one he is a complete idiot and two I thought Carroll was one of the best coaches we ever had. I can still recall the front page headline of Hess quoting that he wanted to win now and Kotite gave him the best chance to bring home a championship. Ugh!). I digress. Two years ago I moved to SD and pray to the scheduling gods that they come to SD as often as possible. I would love to post some of my best Jets memories in the future so everyone can have a good laugh at my expense. Here?s to the new regime and a successful Jets future.

Lets go JETS!

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

JW69 wins this thread. You need to drop by the Bullshit forum.

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

That wouldn't be a jaywayne12/Championjets69 hybrid, would it?! Hell, that's like "business ethics". Hehehe.

18. hailmatty

hailmatty New Member

1. Ivy League guys. I like it. Of course I'm one too, so I'm biased.

2. Mario Williams. A QB is too much of a crapshoot.

3. 9-7 or better. It can be done. Chad returns to form, no reason we can't make the playoffs.

4. They get a pass the first year. After that, it's do or die.

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Redirect your bias.

Mangini attended Wesleyan. I guess you could call that a "small Ivy."

Tannenbaum graduated from UMass and Tulane Law School. No one would accuse either of those two of having creeping greenery on their walls.

20. jaywayne12

:lol: :lol:

With all the body armor I could find....good one.