Offensive Tackle Depth in the draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Apr 9, 2006.

1. VinnyAndTheJets88

VinnyAndTheJets88 New Member

Exactly

... thats like saying why take Walter Jones when we could have Luke Petitgout - D'Brick is clearly the best linemen in the draft and fills our biggest need, why should we settle for someone worse when we could have him? What player in the draft is so much better than him that would warrant us passing on this guy who could make our line very good, as opposed to being average

... unfortunately it seems like the saints are going to grab him at the #2

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

this theory doesnt work well in this topic. considering at the end of the day no one knows how none of these guys will turn out. D beick could be bust and mcneil could be great you dont know.

3. VinnyAndTheJets88

VinnyAndTheJets88 New Member

true but any player we draft at the 4th spot could be bust - leinart or williams could just as easily turn out to be a bust and most experts say that d'brick is the least likely and most nfl ready

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

But wouldnt if be better to take another elite talant at 4 like mario williams . and potentilly draft another player in a similar class as D brick as say eric winston in rd 2.

#24 hydro51, Apr 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2005
  5. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I think that offensive tackle is a much greater need than defensive end. Saying that we can pass on Ferguson and draft Winston in round 2 is the exact same thing as saying that we could pass on Williams and draft Lawson. Williams is a helluva lot better than Lawson. Ferguson is a helluva lot better than Winston.

6. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

D Brick's higher rankings also come from being a LT- where Justice, and McNeil are regarded as RT's. I would rather trade down, and get Justice, and say the 10th pick in the second round than draft Brick with the 4th spot, and have to shift Jones to the Right.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Replacing a potentially good LT with a potentially very good LT does not make our offensive line that much better.

And your Walter Jones-Luke Petitgout comparison is ridiculous. Ferguson is not as good as W. Jones, and A. Jones is better than Petitgout.

8. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

6' 4'' 232, wow man, I know this thread it about tackles but give me Omar Jacobs baby

9. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

wait till you see adrian jones come training camp.he has really matured into a speciman.he has bulked up to 307 lbs. has a year of learning behind him.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Where will McNeil fall?
    I think he is the clear #3 T, with a lot of upside. he's got great size with decent athleticism that can be improved on. you can't teach that type of size and strength though.

Assuming Mario goes with #4 (I hope), will McNeil be there at 29? If he is, I'd think we'd need to take him right there.

11. iceman

iceman New Member

D'Brick's Weight?

No way is this guy 312. Who inflated those numbers? In pictures he looks more more like a DE than a LT. I'm tired of the OL being finese guys.

12. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

how is Justice a better athlete, because he boxes? Because Ferguson studied Judo or some form of Martial Arts.

And last i checked, Steven Segal can kick Mike Tysons ass anyday(J/K, LMAO)

13. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

I like winston justice or O'Callaghan

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

IMHO Justice is better right now. Ferg has "potential" to be a great one. But then again so did Blair, Rick, Ryan......thats why the draft is the draft....you never know what yout gonna get (Forest Gump).

15. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I guess the only thing everyone seems to agree on is using our 2nd 1st rounder on Mangold. As for this discussion of DE or LT I am still torn about whom to take myself, luckily the Saints take the guesswork out of whom we should take. If there experiment of converting there RT to LT doesn't go well, we can all assume what there choice should be...leaving us Williams at no.4. If the RT does make a seemingly smooth transition, they will take Williams (although they already have 2 young DE's, meaning he will man LB) and we have our new franchise LT for the next decade (hopefully).

Of course you can't predict a players success but I've watched Dbrick play for the last 2 years, and anyone who expects anything less then a premier pass blocking LT is seriousley underestimating this guy. Will he ever turn into a road-grader run blocker is the only thing that remains to be seen.

Its a win/win really, there are 2 players with outstanding measurables and intangibles and one will be available at the #4. My only hope is that we don't trade down, I'm sold on both these guys and I want one of them in a green uni for the next decade.

16. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

From NFLScout

Winston Justice, OT, USC - There's no denying his play or measureables. Justice is a real talent. Character issues had him downgraded, and again this is more a correction of that error than Justice doing anything special to lift his stock. There really are no character issues. He paid a steep price for a stupid practical joke and he's handled it fine. From a pure talent standpoint, it's pretty hard to separate this guy from D'Brick. They're clearly the cream of the tackle crop, and only D'Brick's extremely solid intangibles earn him the higher grade. Justice is bigger, faster, stronger, and has better technique in pass protection. This is a very solid player. He's one of my "I told ya sos."

17. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

this guy speaks the truth.

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

That number won't be his playing weight, unless he works on it for multiple years. On the field, he'll be back near 300.

19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We could get Eric Winston with our first pick in the 2nd round. He looked good at the combines. A much better value pick and would only cost between a 1/5 to a 1/10 of what Brick would.