Favre won't question Jets conservative play calls- Newsday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

September 18, 2008
    Favre won't question Jets' conservative play callsBY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com
    September 18, 2008
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - In the moments after Sunday's loss to the Patriots, Brett Favre wasn't into questioning his offensive coordinator.

"I don't second-guess Schotty's calls one bit," Favre said. He had been asked about the three consecutive Thomas Jones runs that Brian Schottenheimer called near the goal line in the second quarter. The Jets, trailing 6-0, netted no yardage and settled for a field goal.

Favre, in his first meeting with reporters since Sunday, didn't stray much from his postgame remarks.

"It was frustrating that we didn't get the ball in," Favre said yesterday. "Hopefully, these questions will subside at some point. I have the utmost confidence in our offensive line."

That's not to say Favre, the league's career leader in touchdown passes (445), was against throwing at the goal line.

"Would I have liked to have thrown it?" Favre said. "Sure, I would. But I would much rather get the ball in, whether it be running or throwing. Any quarterback who would sit up in front of you right now and tell you in that situation he didn't want to throw the ball would be lying. [But] I feel very confident in Brian's play-calling ability."

Favre had much more to say on the subject, suggesting he had heard much of the criticism directed at Schottenheimer and Eric Mangini since Sunday.

"I'd like to tell you something different, but there's no guarantees throwing the ball would have worked," Favre said. "Do I like my chances? Absolutely. But I'm gonna say that no matter what. You know, people can call it conservative or whatever. Had we run the ball in on one of those three, they're great calls."

One nugget Favre disclosed was that he does not have the right to audible on the goal line if he disagrees with a play sent in from the sideline, a product of his still learning the playbook.

"There's nothing to check to," Favre said. "But I felt very confident in his decision to run the ball. I have a lot of confidence in our offensive line, in our running backs. Still do."

Of course, the larger issue raised by the three-run sequence on first-and-goal - an issue first brought up in Miami with Jones' run on third-and-7 late in the fourth quarter - was whether the Jets are maximizing Favre's abilities.

"No," Favre said when asked if he has felt restricted by the play calls or game plans. "We've talked so much, aside from the typical meetings we've had where we meet as a group. And I sat down with Shotty. I sat down with Daboll, even with Eric at times. They've all asked what I feel comfortable with, if there's something that we don't have in that I felt comfortable with in the past that we could put in, that fits into what we're trying to do."

Favre went 15-for-22 for 194 yards and two touchdowns in Week 1 and 18-for-26 for 181 yards with a TD and an interception last week. Besides the 56-yard scoring pass to Jerricho Cotchery in Miami, there have been fewer stretch-the-field throws than most expected from a quarterback brought in primarily because he has been a gunslinging, downfield playmaker.

"I feel confident that I can go to them at any point and ask for something, install something that maybe we don't have in and that it will get done," Favre said.

But he said he hasn't done that.

"Just because I'm here, we don't change our offense," Favre said. "I said this from Day 1: It's much easier for one to get on board with 10 than vice versa. It's been a great working relationship. Ultimately, we're judged by wins and losses."

Favre said two games was far too small a sample from which to draw any conclusions about where he or the team is.

"I feel like the path that we're on right now is the right path," he said.

Monday

Jets at San Diego

8:30 p.m.

TV: ESPN, Ch. 9

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050)

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I trust him way too much to even second guess what he says, despite anything and everything I may have said throughout the week.

He is not the kind of guy to say what the company wants him to say, and if he had any doubts he might give more of a Mangini answer to the question.

Maybe the right path is opening the offense?? San Diego is ranked 30th for a reason.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Do you really think he'd call the CS out in week 3?

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I am starting to think that the NE loss was not a big deal. We played them tough. They did not destroy us like last year. We clearly can compete. While, as Jets fans, we all felt the pain of the loss, this team is going in the right direction and good things will happen.

5. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

well said and I do agree with you!

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

sure, I mean we've clearly closed the gap, last time they beat us by 10 pts. not 9.

7. Jets102812

Jets102812 Member

open it up pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

8. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

yea there were some conservative play calls but still i'm not impressed by favre so far.....he hasn't been anything special at all, and i'm pretty sure kellen clemens can even put up an 1 td and 1 int in a game if not better...kinda pathetic

9. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

I dunno if Clemens makes those throws week one though. Lets give Favre some 4-5 WR sets and see what he can do.

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mm you really think our D was tough in the 3rd & 4th qtr with Lamont running all over us & not being able to ID passes to Welker? I think you may have drunk to much spiked NYJ koolaid.

11. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

D was exhausted from being on the field all day long and getting burnt by welker and faulk screen passes.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Are you saying our D did not have the same amount of stamina as the NEPs had?

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I saw Favre's comments on Jets Open Mic, he seems pretty genuine to me. I liked the line "Hopefully, these questions will subside at some point."

Welcome to NY, Brett, don't turn on your radio, for your own good.

14. woutervz

woutervz Member

LOL and don't read any newspaper or tv or anything that has to do with media

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Maybe they were a little gassed, but I think the main reason NE was able to run on us in the fourth was that Sutton never adjusted to them running the same god damn draw play over and over and over again. Get your head out of your ass Sutton, I could see it coming a mile a way sitting in my living room, why couldn't you?

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

on the other side we lost to a team that barely beat the sperm led chefs. and they had a starting qb who hadnt started since high school.

i love playing devils advocate. and im scared too!

17. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

we pretty much all had us marked down as 1-2 anyway to start the season before we knew TB was gone for the year, sure this would've been a nice bonus but the record is expected.

18. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

He is just counting the dollars and days until he "retires" again.

19. Jetsaholic

Jetsaholic New Member

I thought it was terrible play calling. The New York media should ask me. I'll speak for Brett.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

champ, I hope you understand how to tire out a defense.