last play of the 3rd quarter...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by catortega3881, Sep 14, 2008.

1. catortega3881

catortega3881 New Member

On the last play of the third quarter, Thomas Jones had a nice little run where he ran out of bounds (I think barely touched, but definitely not tackled in bounds) with about 10-15 seconds left on the clock and for some reason the clock kept running and the quarter expired. Why didn't the clock stop? Did anyone else notice this?

In no way am I saying this was even remotely related to why ended up losing, but was curious about this considering some of the other calls that could have gone differently.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The clock only stops on such plays after 5 minutes remain in the 4th quarter.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Exactly....

These damn Maddeners! :smile:

4. catortega3881

catortega3881 New Member

Really? Wow, where have I been? Here I am thinking it's been different for all these years. Just one more thing to add to my mindset of bewilderment today...

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Hey, where've you been??? Don't think I've seen you post around here in over a year.

6. catortega3881

catortega3881 New Member

What's up Sundayjack...I've still been around. I love this board, check it multiple times daily. I wish I could contribute more, but I know I'll get too sucked into some of the conversations.

7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Actually, the clock does stop on out-of-bounds plays until the ball is reset and the then the clock continues. Therefore, the ball had to be placed at the closest hashmarks ready to play before the clock started counting again.

However, this is one of my points. At that junture the Jets were down by a score of 16 - 3. Why not try to run another play? When you are down by two scores and you only have 15 minutes left to go in the game you have to try to lengthen the game as much as possible. Why not take advantage of what the rules provide and run another play before the end of the quarter?

8. catortega3881

catortega3881 New Member

That's kind of where I was going with things...

Just another thing the coaching staff needs to get a clue on...

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes, I know the rule. I didn't think it was necessary to go there because the thread starter thought the clock kept running as soon as Jones stepped out of bounds.

When I saw the play happen, I figured the silly coaching staff would not get the team to run another play.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We had no sense of urgency offensively all game long why would we at that point? Every play the play clock had to be near expiration before we snapped it.