Jets Defensive end situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NY Vilmaniac, Apr 7, 2006.

1. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

people are saying we should draft mario williams, dont get me wrong, i think he is amazing

but sometimes it seems like people think we just dont have anyone to fill in for Abraham. its not like if we dont draft Mario we will have to start a nobody.
    W
    e added Von Oelhoffen (excuse spelling) for a reason. Sometimes i think people underestimate his abilities (including crushing legs,lol)

i dont know, it just seems like most people forget about him when it comes to talking about our defense

anyone have an opinion in this situation? I think we still have a very threatening DE combo, better than the freakin giants!

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

You got it right. :grin:

Our DE situation isn't bad, but Mario could be for us what Seymour is to the Pats. Not to say Mario will definitely be as good as Seymour, but I think he can be. We could use a player like that on our defense.

3. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

The pass rush is the key to any defense otherwise the qb gets in a comfort zone.Age speed and size also plays a huge part for a defense to succeed quick players who have a nose for the ball helps also.

Bottom line pick #4 instant defensive starter Williams-Hawk.OR
    Future QB Leinart-Young.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I Agree i always thought Kimo was a much better player than people give him at the Jets, but mabey he isnt. Dont you think D'Brickshaw is needed more than Williams

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

No, not at all. And then you factor in that Williams is a better DE than Ferguson is LT, if both are on the board (which they won't be, but for argument's sake), you have to take Mario every time.

6. TDforTatum26

TDforTatum26 New Member

Maybe you guys can take someone at #29 who wont be so expensive.

Mario is a freak but maybe you could take Leinert/Young at #4 or D'Brick and grab someone at #29.

*shrugs*

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Kimo was a great pickup and should play real well next year. But you are forgetting he is 35 and clearly on the downside of his career. I think he will start next year and Mario can rotate with both Ellis and Kimo while we figure out who our 4th DE is going to be. Then in two years Mario can take over full time. Also, it is beneficial to have a lot of depth on the D-Line because those players have to take on two guys at a time for the whole time if the scheme is going ot work so you want them to have fresh legs.

8. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

You're just saying that because you want him for yourself! :grin:

It makes sense, but what if those players are gone?
    In my opinion, we should pick the players in this order: Matt Leinart, Mario Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

So I agree Leinart would be a better option but I would still prefer Mario to Brick.

Of course if we do miss out on Mario, one option that would make sense is to land a stud NT like Gabe Watson and draft a pass rushing OLB/DE like Manny Lawson.

Then we can line up like this:

Code:
             Ellis   Watson    Robertson  
    Barton       Vilma       Hobson            Lawson

Ellis   Watson    Robertson  Lawson
               Barton    Vilma        Hobson

Which would make it a lot easier to translate betwee 3-4 and 4-3 because with Mario, either he or Ellis will have to play DT.

9. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Shouldnt it be

Ellis Robertson who the hell is watson

10. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Gabe Watson

11. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I honestly wish someone would be willing to pick up Robertson's contract.

12. TDforTatum26

TDforTatum26 New Member

well yeah I'd like him but we have no chance of getting him :sad:

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

(scratching head) better than the giants?:eek:hmy:

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The more quality defensive linemen the better. You just can't have enough. You can take an offensive lineman in the 4th round and then coach him into a solid starter. But defensive lineman are usually much more difficult to find.

15. KJet84

KJet84 Member

Mario is a FREAK like Julius Peppers. I think if you get a chance at a guy like that, you have to take him. This guy will be a playmaker and will scare offenses. I want Mario in a Jet uniform bad, but I would be very happy with Hawk as well. I think we are very close to being a defensive powerhouse and a couple of key pickups in the draft and we could easily have a top 10 defense in not only yards, but in turnovers as well. I think first round we pickup one of the defensive studs with #4, then a good OL with #29, then one of the RB at #35..hopefully Addai will still be around.

16. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

if the jets don't draft mario at four.don't be disappointed.they have a sleeper pick in the third round by the name of mark anderson d.e. alabama

17. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

You just gave up our secret!

J/K but Anderson looks like a DE/OLB tweener while Mario is strictly a DE.

18. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I also like Chris Gocong as a sleeper DE. He was an ultra-productive speed rusher at Cal-Poly State.6'2", 263 lbs., 4.7 40. He was very impressive at the combine.

19. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

John Abraham, DeWayne Robertson, Jason Ferguson, Sean Ellis.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2004/regular

6th overall defense, 5th in run defense.

Now the talk is using high draft picks to replace players who shouldn't have been let go to begin with.

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Who shouldn't have been let go? They were not gonna give Ferguson a massive contract. He showed last year that he's a very different player in a contract year. Ellis should have never gotten that huge contract. Robertson in my book is a bust. Between the knee issues, 2 out of 3 years playing like garbage and giving up 3 draft picks and a huge signing bonus. No thanks. I won't even go into John Abraham. Their defensive line was pretty solid in 2004 but also overrated. The schedule was a joke, they played so many teams with weak offenses.

Furthermore having a great defensive line is about having depth. Not about having superstarts because they have to be paid. I'd rather have 6 solid players then 2 studs and 4 scrubs.