The Jets are going overboard.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets94nj, Feb 21, 2006.

1. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

i know we are wll over the cap but isnt there any other way to trim the cap by getting rid of guys like bryan thomas before we get rid of guys like abe. i mean they are totally ripping apart this team. the whole o-line is on the verge of being released. i feel bad for the qb he's gonna get crushed. by the time this team gets anywhere guys like vilma will be needing new contracts. whos gonna wanna stick around and wait?? these guys wanna win now. ya know now im thinking herm leaving really killed this season.. looks like its gonna be a rough couple years. man we were so close...

2. Ikeyman3

Ikeyman3 New Member

Abe makes 8.3 million Bryan Thonas makes less than 1/5th of that.

We were 4-12 last year, it really can't get much worse.

3. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Abraham - 8.3M against the cap and wants a long term deal with a huge signing bonus that would not make it too financially possible.

Thomas - counts 1.49M against the cap and cutting him counts for a 545K savings...

See the difference?

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Bradway neglected some areas of the team until it was impossible to compete without rebuilding.

The offensive line is an extremely expensive problem to have, and they are going to build it from the ground up.

That's certainly going to affect many of our higher-paid players.

#4 abyzmul, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  5. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

i was using bt as an example.. i just hate to see abe go. i mean i think their are so to many other guys making the money they dont deserve.

6. The Offseason

The Offseason New Member

1975; 3-11
    1976; 3-11
    1977; 3-11
    1995; 3-13
    1996; 1-15

:beer:

7. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

that seems to be the problem. i think thats why he stepped down and herm took off... what a bum kept pushing the problem until it was beyond repair..

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I think there will be some young OL in Free Agency and the draft is really deep at the OL positions. I think we will be okay...

Some FA possibilities

Jordan Black T Kansas City
    Tom Ashworth T New England
    Terrence Metcalf G Chicago
    Vince Manuwai G Jacksonville
    Toniu Fonoti G Minnesota
    LeCharles Bentley C New Orleans
    Melvin Fowler C Minnesota
    Seth McKinney C Miami

So there are options to rebuild this line and I really like the depth in the draft

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

If Herm was still here we would still be having problems with the cap.

When you over the cap by like 30 million dollars tough decisions have to be made.

We are rebuilding make no mistake about it. Rebuilding isn't always such a terrible thing either. Teams have gone into rebuilding and come out of it quite quickly.

There are only a few posters on this board who ACTUALLY don't think we are in rebuilding...

I am looking foward to next year just like I do every year.

10. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

yeah i guess ya never know... i'll try and look at it in a positive way

11. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And there are teams that take decades and are still "rebuilding", we have to make sure these moves work or we will be set back for another 5 years

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Who cares really. The fact is if we get set back for 5 years we're no worse off than with Herm and the cap issue and the elderly football club. Did ya really expect Herm and Badway to clean this mess up? That's why Herm bolted, because he knew it meant axing players he had man-love for. He's a far better PR guy than a football guy. Keep the big names happy and keep your job. If he put as much effort into a game plan he might have won something.

13. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

The Jets were a team built to make a Super Bowl push last season. Obviously, it didn't work out, and now we must start over. Some of our favorite players will no longer play for the team we love, but it is just a transition. We'll get new favorite players, and hopefully Mangini will implement a system that will put us on the path for success. Basically, we just need to get younger, faster, and more diciplined. Give it a few seasons, and I'll bet we're better off for it.

14. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Why would any RATIONAL Jet fan be surprised by the pending moves? Those of us who live in the real world warned that the Jets were dangerously over the cap, and that the new regime would have to gut the team.

Herm and Bradway were living in a dream world, and when they woke up one ran away and the other hid under a rock. Their disaster needs cleaning up, and there is no easy way to do it.

I'm glad to see the new FO and CS is being realistic and starting over.

Think smart tough players!

15. The U

The U Member

This is called an overhaul of the entire franchise.

16. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Sorry to say but this team is "REBUILDING" The offense needs to be TOTALLY overhauled. We no longer need an overpaid noodle armed QB, an aging line that couldn't block anyways what did our running backs average? just over 3 yrds per carry and how many times was Bollinger sacked w/our current line? with FA and the Draft we will improve. I hate to see Abe go, but he CAN be replaced we need draft picks and I dont believe were gonna give up picks just to move up, we'll probably get addtl pics with abe or pick up a QB via trade so we dont necessarily have to draft for a qb in the 1st round and pick either D'Brick or Hawk.

Just my thinking

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

When are some of you going to realize that Great talent cost $$$???
    Abe is worth the loot Thomas is not. To justify Keeping Thomas over Abe because he makes less money is saying you accept being a sucky team.

There is a reason Thomas makes so little $$$.

18. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Blah blah blah.... (Ben stiller voice) do it, do it.

19. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Paying someone a lot doesn't make them talented. The idea is to pay your talent enough to build a team. Tom Brady is the best QB in football, but he doesn't even make in the top 4th salary wise. Meanwhile Pennington had the third highest signing bonus in NFL history, and well, we probably shouldn't go over that...

The point is, Abe isn't worth nearly what he's demanding. He basically wants 50% more than the best DE in football, yet Abe himself really isn't even top 3 imo. He's maybe top 5, but I'm more confident in saying he's top 10. Overrating your own talent and overpaying very good talent as if they were great is how to top out as a divisional round playoff team for a few years, and then completely crap out when the team ages. Kind of like what is happening/happened to us. Thank god this new regime understands how to manage a football team.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I have to say, over the past few weeks I have gone through total misery seeing things like Abe, Penny, and Mawae on the outs. Then I stopped and really thought about it. Yeah, I still really like these guys, and if they were willing to stay for less money to help us improve overall, then I would still want them all here. The problem is, these are real people, not just football players. They want to make money just like any of us do. They can't have that money here while winning championships. It's a sad fact of life under a salary cap system.

I hated losing Aaron Glenn. I thought that was going to doom us. It didn't. I hated dumping Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones like yesterday's trash. Did it kill us? Ummm, Vilma has been pretty damn good I think.

This is life in football. Tough calls have to be made, and we aren't going to like a lot of them short-term. However, we aren't paid to think long-term, but our CS/FO is. That's what they are doing. I for one, am willing to wait the 3 years it will probably take to rebuild. If it works out, we will all be on top of the world, if not, we will all be here on Feb 22, 2009 calling for Mangini-blood to be spilled.