NYJ + NYG Protest PSL's at 8/23 Preseason Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by VeniVidiViridis, Aug 20, 2008.

1. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

That protest is a big waste of time. There is going to be a psl and there is nothing to be done about it.

2. devils744

devils744 New Member

pretty much sums it up.

3. mjbok

mjbok New Member

PSL's are garbage, but they are the way that things are done in all pro sports now.

4. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Disagree strongly. It's that kind of fatalistic acceptance that the teams are counting on. PSLs might not go away, but with a significant turnout, maybe the fee gets reduced out of fear that fans will not pay it.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

whether or not it will make a difference doesnt change the fact that you should be pissed about it.

imagine if throughout time that people didnt think it would make a difference so they just didnt bother... ahh what kind of a world we would live in.

that is one of my biggest pet peaves.

6. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/08/new_york_jets_set_to_hit_fans.html

" The Jets' PSL prices will likely be in line with the Giants. Some critics say the Jets should charge less because they're not coming off a Super Bowl victory.

"The cost of building the stadium is the same for both of us," Johnson said. "The fact the Giants won the Super Bowl and we were 4-12 is just one of those things that happens in football.¤... We're committed to building a championship team. We don't hold back on anything." "

Reading that got me very annoyed.

They said the Giants will get 300M to 400M off the PSL. They are robbing their fans. The state is giving about 300M. They will make tons from sponsors and ad.(That is where they should make most of there money to pay this thing off not 400M of their fans then expect them to pay for the hiked ticket prices!)

#7 NYJetsMetsCTHuskies, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Here is the Daily News article on the PSL rally

Jets & Giants fans kick off battle vs. pricey new seats
    BY LARRY McSHANE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 10:19 PM

Giants and Jets fans typically mingle as well as piranhas and exposed flesh.

Gang Green booster Steven Kern hopes to unite the longtime adversaries against a common foe: costly personal seat licenses, or PSLs.

Kern wants fans of both teams to speak as one against the fees at a rally before Saturday's Giants-Jets preseason game.

"This is the one thing that both Jets and Giants fans would agree on - the first time in history," said Kern, 44, of Boonton, N.J.

Big Blue fans already know they'll need big green - from $1,000 to $20,000, just for the right to buy tickets - to keep their season seats in the new $1.6billion Meadowlands facility.

Jets fans are expected to find out what their PSLs will cost before the NFL season kicks off next month.

Kern, a 15-year season ticket-holder, owns a pair of Jet seats - and he believes the PSLs are onerous. He's not buying the argument that the PSLs are an investment, since they can be resold for a profit.

"Loyal fans don't look at tickets as an investment," Kern said Wednesday. "I'm not going to flip my PSL like a condo.

"This is not the way we expect loyal fans should be treated."

Since the Jets "host" the Giants this weekend, the rally is set for the parking lot between the new stadium and the race track three hours before the 7 p.m. kickoff.

Organizers plan to record the complaints of every angry fan and forward a DVD to owners of both the Jets and the Giants.

Giants co-owner John Mara has said the PSLs are necessary to finance the planned stadium set to open for the 2010 season.

Many longtime fans of the team fear the PSLs will price them out of the seats held by generations of the same family, dating back to Yankee

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

That should make for an interesting DVD- getting opinions from folks 3 hours before kickoff as they drink in the parking lot.

"Hey Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooodeee, (burp). I love you man, but.....Wait, what was I saying. Oh yeah, the PSL's- they suck, they suck they suck! J.E.T.S. JETS JETS JETS (cue former Gate D girl flashing her boobs in background over drunk guy's shoulder.)

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The rally can't hurt.

If you visit Kern's website (http://pslrally.com) you'll like some of the ideas proposed. One that interests me is making the PSLs tax deductible. Since the Giants have stated that half the money they're collecting will go to "taxes" (I'd still like to see a full accounting of exactly where the money will go and why it should be so much), then why are the Giants taking the tax deduction for this? If they are truly paying all these "taxes," and half of it is being paid for by the ticketholders (in the form of PSLs), the ticketholders should be the ones entitled to (at least) a 50% tax deduction.

Some of the other ideas include a freeze on ticket prices for 5 years and raising the cost of the "club seats" and PSLs and leaving the rest of us poor slobs outside that super-premium area alone.

It's interesting that the Jets have not yet announced anything. Yet, Woody makes mention of the PSLs again. If the Jets are only going to follow suit with what the Giants have done, why not announce them now? What are they waiting for?

The whole thing is one huge rip-off. Absolutely deplorable.

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'm sure it will be very productive. :lol:

11. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

The only cure for this is NOT BUYING THE TICKETS!!! No amount of bitching, protesting or kidnapping Mara or Woody's dog can do about it. It'll show you're unhappy with ownership, thats great; I'm sure Woody will be thinking of your protest when he's accounting for all the PSL money in his next balance statement.

Its a rip off, but there is a demand for the tickets and they are using that as their leverage. The only way to stop it is to decrease the demand.

#12 NJrocket24, Aug 21, 2008
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know, right? We can't get people into their seats before kickoff but they're going to show up for a rally?

Edit: Wait, will they be serving beer and brats at this rally?

#13 abyzmul, Aug 21, 2008
  13. Section 227. Row 5

That is what's going to be happening, but most of that course of action by current ticketholders won't be out of spite or stubbornness, as you might think. It'll simply be because we can't afford it, period.

Jets PSLs for my section have not been announced yet, but if they're "in line" with Giants prices, here's what they'll cost:

PSL: $7500 per seat (x4) = $30,000 in PSLs.

Ticket Price: $400 per seat, per game (4 seats x 10 games) = $16,000 per year for 8 regular season games ($2,000 per game). I refuse to count the worthless "preseason" games.

Oh sure, some corporation or LLC will buy my seats and pay the PSLs and the annual ticket price. Then they'll pass them out for free to some shoelace buyer from Des Moines while he's in town, so they can kiss his ass and get him to buy their shoelaces made in Taiwan.

Think we have no-shows or people late for games now? It's nothing compared to the no-shows in the future. If it even smells like rain, it won't be worth "the hassle," and they'll watch the game from their hotel lobby bar and throw the tickets in the trash. What the hell, they got them for nothing, didn't they?

#14 Section 227. Row 5, Aug 21, 2008
  14. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

Retarded These Psl's arent even outrageous. This protest will do absolutely nothing. Most new stadiums have psl's anyway and a psl is an investment. The jets and giants are doing the right thing

15. Section 227. Row 5

Good. "Invest" in mine. Shell out 30 large up front and 16 G's each season and watch your "investment" grow. Think of how much return you'll have! You're going to be rich! Someone will pay you way more than what you paid!

And if you have trouble moving them and can't make a game or two, let me know and I'll buy the tickets off you for $60 or so. Can't go wrong with that, right?

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

$20,000 for the right to keep a single seat you've had for years isn't outrageous? What planet do you live on?

17. VeniVidiViridis

VeniVidiViridis New Member

GOOD question. That's about the only way I'd show up. I'm completely against the PSL BS... but I do not like protest rallies... corporate america doesn't give a damn about a protest, they'll still get their money in the end... if its not from the current fans, it'll be from the big companies and other sources.

I'll be sitting at our tailgate drinkin and eating, and saving my voice for yelling during the game :beer:

18. Section 227. Row 5

Super. And make sure you save your dollars, too, because in 2010, your tickets will cost you twice as much because of the PSLs, so have a good time this year and enjoy!

19. perfectpat

perfectpat New Member

All I can say is for once I'm glad my seats are in the uppers.

$1000 psl with 3 payments to pay it off not so bad and no real change in ticket price.. Tickets have been going up 5 bucks a year regardless so by 2010 at 85 a ticket it no real change.

I can swing that for a better, cleaner, more modern stadium with better game enjoyment any day!