What are Jets team needs moving forward

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The GM, Aug 12, 2008.

1. The GM

The GM New Member

New film guy :rofl:

2. The GM

The GM New Member

I understand what you're saying, but my point is that if you are familiar with the Jets team you have a general idea of where there weaknesses lie (CB, FS, ILB, DE, etc). Yes, there might be a few guys who surprise and some guys who disappoint, however that won't really change the team needs all that much if anything like that happens.

3. The GM

The GM New Member

Just for the record, I see David Clowney as the next Greg Jennings with Favre at the helm. We've seen his speed and his ability to find holes in the defense. He will be a #4 or #3 WR at best so he will not garner great coverage, at least at first.

4. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

i'm not sayin clowney wont be a greg jennings like receiver eventually, but we saw it in one game...preseason no less, when else are u referring to?

5. The GM

The GM New Member

Well I also actually followed him through college at Virginia Tech. You are right about it being one preseason game where he displayed his skills, but he does have these things in common with Jennings: size, speed, hands and spot on the depth chart. Not to mention Brett Favre.

Jennings: 5'11, 198 lbs.
    Clowney: 6'0, 188 lbs.

Jennings: Break-out season in his 2nd year with Favre at helm.
    Clowney: ? season in his 2nd year with Favre at helm.

6. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

while its a nice thought and possibility that he'll have a breakout season i'd look for a battle w/ stuckey and even though smith hasnt shown much he's still a solid option and most likely #3 receiver being that he's our biggest receiver at 6'2 other than henry at 6'4, other than a deep threat option i dont see him playing a big role in our offense

7. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

A more consistent kicker.

8. The GM

The GM New Member

I personally think Brad Smith should be traded for whatever the Jets can get him for. He might be tall but his hands are far from sure and a team like the Bears could use him for a mid-late round pick.

While it will be harder for Clowney to have a breakout season considering he won't see the field in New York as much as Jennings did in Green Bay, I think the OC will really open up the passing game this season and hopefully Clowney has a signifcant role, as a slot receiver if nothing else.

9. The GM

The GM New Member

You're pretty much married to a kicker that you draft in the 3rd round tho...

10. JetsLookingforDWare

DE. I was really surprised we didn't draft one this year honestly. I like Brown and DeVito, but I'd really like us to see us draft one high.

Ellis will be like 33 next season...Coleman's decent...I hear alotta good things about that DT from Duke...

#30 JetsLookingforDWare, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  11. #17 with a bullet

True. When I saw Feely was released with his saucy 90% average I thought that would be a way to go. However I hear that his mouth is open 100% of the time in the locker room which cancels out that sweet average.

12. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

okay well i really think u should let the preseason play out a little bit more b4 u make any judgements on clowney...im not gonna assume he can catch a ball better than smith till i see it, he caught 2 deep routes with touch on them...can he catch a favre pass tho

13. #17 with a bullet

Maybe we will see on Sunday. :)

14. The GM

The GM New Member

Anyways back to the point of the thread...

are we all agreed that the team needs going forward are: CB, DE, FS, ILB, WR, all-around RB, QB heir, and OL/DL depth?

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nugent came in the second, which certainly gave him a degree of safety early in his career. Now, if he flopped the Jets would dump him.

As for team needs, I think you've identified the main ones in a later post: CB, DE, FS, ILB, WR, all-around RB, QB heir, and OL/DL depth.

Aside from the No.2 CB spot (which may be Lowery's in a short while?) these look like depth needs. And maybe Ratliff will continue to impress to remove another need from the list?

I'm a great believer in OL depth and I think the Jets have very little.

I think WR is the least pressing, with a good set of starters and some promising backups, and RB is nicely set for another couple of years.

We won't really know until we see some real games. Jets games have looked great on paper before and have completely bombed, so let's see!

16. The GM

The GM New Member

Alright so team needs have been agreed upon. Its going to take me a while to post the next thread, but keep an eye out for it.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

With Ellis at 33 I can see a need for a replacement there at some point in the next few years, but unlike some here I think the DL rotation will be pretty good. DRob being gone is addition by subtraction.

Can someone explain the thinking that the DL is a huge problem?

My #1 need would be at CB. As for #3wr, it sounds like they might have someone on the roster who would be that, but may end up being more a #4 playing at 3. In that connection I don't understand the love for Brad Smith as #3wr. His hands are pretty bad. Don't get the love there.

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Going to be good, is it?

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

a personality for thier head coach.

20. The GM

The GM New Member

I'll let you all be the judge of that.