Let's be clear about expectations, Brett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Aug 10, 2008.

1. chazmccl

chazmccl New Member

Have you all forgotten our run defense last year? We couldn't stop the little sisters of the poor, Poor running backs had all pro games against us. The OL was so dreadful, Chad or Kellen had few chances to set up and MAKE a decent pass, Short passes were all we could do because there was no time for receivers to get deep

2. GeorgeCoztanza

GeorgeCoztanza New Member

Yes, Chad was a terrible clipboard holder in the games Clemens lost.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Finally a post that tells it like it is without the emotional aspect. Putting expectations aside and concentrating on the facts, what we do know is that we have better players that will give us a much better chance to compete. However the AFC east is very tough and is not standing still as well, so improvement is measured by how are we getting better than the opposition? How quickly our team jells together and plays in unison will determine the wins and losses. 8-8 or 10-6 will be predicated on that fact. My only expectation is that the Jets will be a better competitive team and fun to watch every week, and no longer freak out when we get behind the score because we had no long ball threat. As for Mangini, in my opinion he is the best coach we have had in a long, long time and have no intentions of getting in the band wagon with some of you and call for his head regardless of the season. We are on our way to a better season. Enjoy it

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And the other option was what? Play KC and if he doesn't pan out our season was in the same toilet with zero options. Bringing Brett at least gave us hope, with the same down side

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You make a great point about the opposition. When you are so focussed on your own team you tend to measure it against the opposition from last year. The opposition is fluid just as we are.

I believe in our coaching staff, however I'm not as convinced as I was after 06. The team and the staff were horrific last year. Obviously part of that was a bad miscalculation on our talent but a ton of that had to do with the fact that our opposition actually had film and adjusted. This is not just about the talent but its a lot about the coaching staff proving that they can take the next step and actually adjust with more talent.

6. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

I think we will actually be much more stable at QB...I think Clemens may get a shot in a year or so, but in all actuality I'm seriously beginning to call into question a long term career for him as a Jet

7. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

We were better in Clemens games and for the most part comeptitive. We were not competitive in the games Chad played. Were there other factors? Of course. But Chad was the biggest reason we were 4-12. You can deny that and blame D-rob, and Kendall all you want but it was Pennington.

Now without Pennington we have three QBs that are similar in approach to the game of football and all 3 of which are well suited to the midrange attack of the Cleveland offensive scheme we play. With the improvement in Ratliff, we are dramatically more skilled, coherent and explosive at the QB position.

8. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I think it is reasonable to expect the Jets to make the playoffs. Anything above the playoffs (Conference semis or Superbowl) would be exceptional.

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

You've posted some ridiculous bullshit on this board..but this just topped it all.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Keeping a nice guy, but very mediocre QB, around as our startere around would have set us back years. This move gives us a short window with Brett and the need to draft/find a franchise QB now if KC does not pan out.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Funny but we all seemed to know why we were so bad last year during the offseason.

It was because we had line problems on both sides of the ball.

12. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

Brett is way better than what we had going on. I think he will have a good year as long as he keeps his interceptions down. We have a good O-line for him and a much better defense..the more interesting thing is that if he doesnt work out the other Brett will probably be our backup..either way we have a ligit shot this year. I cant wait

13. ANJI

ANJI New Member

I'm expecting 11 wins at the lease.

:jets::jets::jets:

14. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

just thought i'd to point out that the packers runningbacks combined for over 90 receptions, and i live in WI i watched pretty much every packer game last year, they didn't and dont have that good of a team, they were a very overacheiving team last year

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

how exactly will this set us back any more than if we had kept chad? even if favre is average and we dont do much of anything we will still have him for at most 2-3 years. that was all we where gonna get out of chad as well. anyone who thinks who can stay healthy this late in his career when he couldn't when he was younger is kidding themselves.

so no matter what we had done with the qb situation this year we would still be in the same situation in a few years. and if this trade doesn't work out for us this year all we are gonna lose is a 3rd round pick because we all know favre will play at least half the snaps.

everyone saying this will hurt us in a few years is simply not taking into account that even though chad is younger he has about as much time left in this league as favre does.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

JFM is correct here....Chad was horrible...but by no means was it 100% his fault...that's just retarded. It was a collection of breakdowns ...everything from shoddy O-line play to our Dline getting owned by opposing Olines....to not being able to stop the run....in addition to Chad and Kellen's ill-timed throws.

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Did you watch last season with a blindfold on? I'm not going to deny Chad was bad..but Clemens was horrible and cast doubt on whether he will even be an NFL backup. The guy sucks bad

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the way Clemens' TC has been going thus far....even "capable backup" is looking like a "stretch" for him.

19. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I think for every other sport thats true...except NFL football. It means nothing. Not with generous schedules and injuries that can destroy teams. Lets face it, besides one offensive lineman leaving, there really wasnt much of a difference between rosters. Injuries and a very very favorable schedule were the two major differences.

This team winning 11 games this year wouldnt shock me in the least...nor would winning 8 games. There are only 16 and it doesnt take much to have a rosters that might scream 11 wins to end up with 8 or less.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Alright, let's look game by game. First, Chad's starts
    Week 1: Pats kill us. 38-14
    Week 3: We beat Miami. 31-28, but it wasn't that close. Chad only threw for 128 yards.
    Week 4: Buffalo beats us barely 17-14.
    Week 5: Giants beat us 35-24. Jets led at halftime.
    Week 6: Eagles beat us 16-9. 10-6 at halftime. Chad didn't do much.
    Week 7: Cincy beats us 38-31. Led at halftime, team collapsed in 2nd half.
    Week 8: Bills beat us 13-3. Chad was awful.
    Week 15: Lose to Pats 20-10. Kellen started, Chad came in and did alright.
    Week 16: Lose to Titans 10-6. Chad: 26-32, 264, 1, 2 INTs.

Week 2: Ravens beat us, but it's close in the 4th, 20-13 final.
    Week 9: Lose to Redskins 23-20 in OT. We let this game get away.
    Week 11: Beat Pittsburgh 19-16. Clemens: 14-31, 162, 1, 1.
    Week 12: Dallas destroys us 34-3.
    Week 13: We destroy Miami 40-13. Clemens throws for 236, 1, 1.
    Week 14: Lose to Cleveland 24-18. Kellen throws for 286, but on 41 throws, and 2 picks, no TDs.
    Week 17: Beat KC 13-10. Our KC goes 13/25, 115, 1, 0.

Basically, both QBs were awful. Chad was much better statistically, and we were about equally competitive with both QBs.