Has Mike Tannenbaum become the best GM for the Jets this quickly?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by I bleed Jets Green, Aug 10, 2008.

1. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

Obviously the Pete Kendal situation wasn't that great last year but so far since his arrival with Mangini, has Tannenbaum quickly become the best GM for the Jets in their history since the Super Bowl III victory?

2. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

The Giants Jerry Reese holds the title of "best GM this quickly". Let's see these moves bring a trip to the Super Bowl and then I'll nominate him.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The proof is in the pudding, but I love what he's done this season so far.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So far he's the best GM in recent memory. Parcells did a good job getting guys who fit the system, and Mikey T is doing the same.

Does anyone who has seen a lot of the franchise know about the former FOs from the 80s? How did those guys do?

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Pretty damn good job so far offseason.

6. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

dont jump to any conclusions till the season plays itself out, i really dont see favre getting us to the playoffs
    i live in wisconsin but am a jets fan, favres style of play doesnt fit how the jets have played at all in recent years w/ pennington at qb, does everyone honestly think he can come in and just win in a different system
    the packers to me were basically playin street football last year half of favres yards came on broken routes that he found receivers wide open on and they took care o the rest obviously because the packers had the best YAC avg in the NFL

7. Bosko

Bosko Guest

IMHO, I think every single NFL team has to win one battle before they can contend: The Injury Bug. The Jets are usually defeated by this virus whenever they have an upcoming season that looks Super.

I also think that this upcoming year will see a shift of power in the AFC. The Colts probably won't be as dominant (Manning had his first surgery, they've lost some key players), there's no way the Patriots are going undefeated again (and as Super Bowl losers, odds are they probably won't even reach the playoffs), and San Diego is looking old...

If I am right it's good news for the Jets, although teams patched together with expensive free agents rarely do well. But it is sure to be interesting.

8. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

heres the thing... He did everything we as fans basically wanted him to do.. Only controversy came with the draft... and thats unavoidable..
    His check list was
    1. Fix Oline
    2. Fix Dline
    3. Get Pass Rush

He did all of that before the draft. After draft, he improved passing game with Keller, pass rush with Vernon. So, he's easily done everything we wanted and hoped for. If that doesnt make him 1 of the best GMs in franchise history, I don't know what will..

Oh yea, he got us a pretty good QB for a steal.

If these moves fail... Its still not his fault all the way, these were the guys we wanted.

9. Phear

Phear New Member

ummm, favre is a 16 year vet hof qb, i dont think him adapting to our system will be a problem. we'll make the play offs how far we go i dont know, but we will make the play offs

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Making moves the fans want him to make don't necessarily make him a GM. He should know better than us. I'm not saying they were bad moves - I love them. I'm just saying that I don't think him doing what we want qualifies him as one of the best.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

ROFLMAO.

Just wait.

12. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with the Revis and Harris trades during the draft, but that can not continue. The pats built that franchise by continually having numerous draft picks.

We're built to win right now, but if we are going to have sustained success, we need to keep draft picks.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Don't the Jets have to win something before he is annointed as a success? One playoff appearance in two years and a sub .500 record don't indicate he is one of the best. Let's play the season first.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think, along with Tannenbaum being a good GM, we've got a gret scouting department.

With our FA, and our drafts, the last few years, we've got a bright future.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Tuna blows these guys out of the water.

We went from being crap to the most complete team in the league in two years.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I would give Johnson (as much as I dislike him) the credit for every single move made this off season. Tannenbaum was told what to do. He just picked the names to attach the dollars to. Tannenbaus's style was better shown last year. Do nothing and pray a lot.

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's what I was going to say. Let's get over .500 first for the regime, then discuss best all time.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Isn't he just a bean counter guys? Isn't that all he could do?

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I can't believe i'm saying this....but JWWS is bang on with this post. On paper, what Tannenbaum has done thus far, looks great...as he did address the "problem areas" of the roster this offseason....but let's see how it plays out during the season....before we take Dennis Green's advice and "just crown him already" :wink:

20. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Yes, Tanny is the BEST GM-of-a-4-12-team-who-had-a-good-offseason-on-paper.

Congratulations, Mike.