Let's be clear about expectations, Brett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Aug 10, 2008.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Listening to the moronic experts in the sports print, broadcast and online media, we hear the same story...."The Jets are a 4-12 team that will bounce back to respectability thanks to the acquisition of Brett Favre."

No. The Jets are a 4-12 team coming off a 10-6 playoff season. The 2007 Jets were sabotaged by a foolish front office that destroyed its own offensive line just weeks before the season began and a head coach who did a 180 and became overly conservative, and didn't have his defense ready to play until after the bye.

With the corrections and acquisitions made in the offseason prior to the Favre trade, and the help of a last place schedule, the 2008 Jets were a team prepared to win the close games that they lost last year and swing the pendulum back toward 10-6 with a healthy Pennington or improved Clemens.

Based on Favre's ability to throw the ball deeply and move the team more quickly down the field, the acquisition of Brett Favre should count for at least two more wins over the 9 or 10 that a Pennington/Clemens-led team would've achieved.

This is the NFL Stock Exchange where a 5-game swing from season to season is the norm:

After the Jets spending spree,and last place schedule, we had every reason to expect the Jets to bounce back to a 10-win season...

...Following the acquisition of Favre, and all the pronouncements that the QB position has been dramatically upgraded, we have every reason to expect Favre to take the Jets higher than 10 and deeper than the wildcard round.

That is the expectation...and nothing less will be acceptable.

2. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

The Jets finished 4-12 because of Chad Pennington. Period. He is gone.

3. Vic

Vic Member

No. Chad sucked, but there were very few bright spots last season.

4. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

We had no offensive line at all, it was a turnstile. We had no Big DT.

5. BSartist

BSartist New Member

Chad WAS awful last year. The rest of the team was also really bad too. They just never clicked.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That's just so ignorant. Chad was bad, but come on. Besides, he didn't even play half the season.

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

the interceptions were just unforgivable.

8. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

the 4-12 record was a result of a horrible defense largely in part that Vilma was out and our DT was to small to play in a 3-4 desense so we got ran all over, and our secondary besides kerry rhodes and once in a while revis wasn't good at all
    offensively i really think our OC schottenheimer was an idiot w/ play calling, when clemens was playing he was running basic offense and he was playing more like pennington would've with all the short passes, clemens should've been allowed to open up the offense a lil more especially considering how bad of a season we were having anyway, we either had short passes or a run that didnt work cuz the defense was never on their heels at all
    Brett favre doesnt make the jets that much better...and if schottenheimer calls plays like he did last year he's worthless anyway, in GB favre always either went for it all or he always hit the runningback in the flat w/ the occasional crossing route

9. Bosko

Bosko Guest

WOW! Thanks for articulating so well what I have been saying (but not as well) for so long.

So you must agree with me that if the Jets go 8-8 or worse, Tangini's butts will be in the frying pan, right?

10. Phear

Phear New Member

~^ agreed..

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I agree almost 100%, I felt we'd win 9-10 w/ Chad but we have been a playoff team and have made the div rd. To me this deal is a good one if we make the title game either this year(or if he comes back next year). I'm sure the Jets don't care b/c of all the extra attention and jersey sales they feel the trade was already justified but I care about wins and we need a deep january run soon to justify this deal.

12. Ray

Ray New Member

Not exactly, don't know how many Packer games you watched last year. Favre rarely threw to a running back, and we had no running game at all the first half of the year.

We played the short passing game, lots of slants and quick outs, he was very good at hitting receivers in stride, and moving the chains. That is why Pack receivers lead the league in YAC. Didn't go deep that often, Driver, Jennings, and Jones, not the fastest group.

Look at it this way, Jet fans had no hope with Chad, not his fault, but sounds as if his arm was shot. Now you do have hope for a good season, and more wins. And, good or bad, Favre is not boring. I don't know your team well, and will take time to get it all together, but sounds like 10 wins not unrealistic. :beer:

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We had hope w/ Chad, we just won 10 games 2 years ago w/ him so 10 wins w/ Brett wouldn't be a success to me since that's around what I expected this year. We have been an every other year team since 2002. We won the div in '02(I'm sure Brett and Packer fans remember the game that clinched it), 6 games in '03, were a kick away from the AFC Title Game in '04, won 4 in '05, won 10 and a WC berth in '06 and 4 last year. Peopl dwell on the 4 but we got alot better this offseason and we were going to be pretty good w/ or w/o Favre.

14. Ray

Ray New Member

Wow, that's wierd, the every other year thing. I absolutely do remember that game, also one from the year 2005??, where it was so bad, couldn't even watch. Total humiliation. Brett said yesterday, he has never beaten Chad.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Nobody knows what the Jets are this year. We were among the worst teams in football last year. We have signed a lot of FA's took a project 1st round pick and got a high profile QB who last year was one of the top QB's in the NFL.

Expectations mean nothing. Getting Favre did one thing, replaced a 1 to 2 year transitional veteran QB with limited skills to a 1 to 2 year transitional QB with unlimited skills. How that translates into wins and losses has little to do with expectations and more to do with the real over all talent on the team and the ability of the coaching staff to max out that talents potential.

16. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I think this is the best post on this thread -- the rest of you guys are still too emotional about the Jets' losses last year.

Why do you think this team played so hard in every game last year? Because of Kool-Aid?

They knew what was wrong and they all did everything they could to overcome the problems. Why do you think the defense actually got better last year?

How will that offensive line (OL) perform for the RBs and the QBs?

How will that defensive line (DL) stop the run and rush the passer?

Everything waits for the Big Uglies. They will have to dominate if we are going to be winners.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

You're only as good as your last record, so technically we're still a 4-12 team until the season begins.

The sports media seem to have forgotten that the Jets have been to the playoffs quite a few times over the past 10 years, and that we're not the same team of the early-mid 90s.

18. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

Nothing Less!

19. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

Yeah Yeah Yeah...and combined with at least the reality of a statistically easy schedule, we should definitely go deep into the Playoffs

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Well for everyone that said we needed Brett Favre. You got your wish.

This had better work out, because if it does not, and Kellen doesn't pan out a year or so from now, this team will be right back in the toilet.

This move could set back the franchise for years to come.