O'Brien vs Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Aug 7, 2008.

1. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Now that the Chad era is over, who do you think was a better QB.

Each gave us three post seasons. Chad (2-3) Kenny (1-3) Chad gave us a division title. Obrien had a big arm.

opinions please.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I didn't see the 80s teams, but they had more memorable players and made an AFC tittle game that they got fucked over on due to shula.

but namath wins.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Pennington easily.

4. CPenn10

CPenn10 New Member

O'Brien did not have an offensive line. If he had an O-line to go along with the weapons (Walker, Toon, Shuler, McNeil), the Jets would have been AFC and Super Bowl contenders.

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I got hooked up on Jets football during the Todd/O'Brien years. I see a lot of similarity between O'Brien and Pennington years if for no other reason there were a few shots at doing something special and usually ended in heartbreak in the end.

6. steviep

steviep Active Member

Pennington.

OBrien was mediocre.

KOB had some ridiculously good games. (That 51-45 game against miami for one)

BUT REFUSED to throw the ball away.

ALSO -- holds the record (based on my research) of the QB with the most throwing attemps to NEVER score a rushing td. Never. Not one. Started 110 games -- not one rushing td.

was sacked 353 times in 128 games --
    (Favre has been sacked 439 in 257)(2x the games that obrien played in)
    Obrien was on pace for 700

chad had 3 playoff seasons in the 3 season where he was played all the games.
    obrien had 3 playoff seasons in 7 seasons where he was the main starter

Pennington was better. Alot.

7. steviep

steviep Active Member

That was Todd. Not Obrien.

8. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Penny. Hands down.

9. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Ken O'brien will go down in history as the most underappreciated QB in Jet team history. His seasons in 1985 and 1986 were absolute explosive throwing seasons. They threw up over 60 points vs. Tampa Bay, guy would throw TDS those seasons like Penny threw screen passes. Pennington was awesome that first season where he started playing alot, absolutely awesome. After that, he was very average. O'brien was a FAR BETTER THROWER,,,, FAR BETTER. He was a multiple Pro Bowl player, also.

#9 #28Martin, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

It's tough to say. If O'Brien had a better OL, he would've been very good. If Pennington didn't continuously hurt his shoulder, he would've been very good.

Slight edge to O'Brien. His major flaw wasn't even his.

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

No he wasn't.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

IMO this is much closer to the facts than some other comments. As always, with Pennington you have to separate 2002 from everything after that. In 2002 he was brilliant, and all of those comparisons with Montana were not ridiculous. After that year he was injury-prone (starting about half of the games), mediocre (58 TDs, 49 INTs in 42 games), and despite the supposed reputation the team was mediocre when he started (24-25).

O'Brien wasn't a great player either, but he also had one great year (1985) that was as good as Pennington's 2002. He also had three other years (1986-1988) that were at least as good as the post-2002 part of Pennington's career (53 TDs, 35 INTs, team record 19-18-1).

In terms of level of play, I think they were very close, and O'Brien had the great advantage of durability, something that shouldn't be minimized.

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Very similar careers but Chad was better in the post season so I'd give it to Chad. Loved both guys so I'm actually pretty objective here. The one playoff win you're crediting to O'Brien's record was actually played by Pat Ryan--the Kansas City Wild Card Game in 1986. O'Brien was never the QB for a post-season win--Namath 2, Todd 2, Chad 2, Vinny 1, Ryan 1.

14. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

I guess this would be a question of who the 3rd best Jets QB is.

Sadly enough, Vinny is probably #2.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I'd take Pennington over O'Brien because he was better in big games. The Jets, with O'Brien also started out of the gate fast and faded. O'Brien never learned to throw the ball away and had better talent around him. The 1985 and 86 teams were expected to do well.

What people forget about Pennington is that every playoff appearance was unexpected. He took three teams that were not expected to win to the playoffs and won two playoff games - one on the road. Todd was the last (and only) Jet QB to win a playoff game on the road before Pennington.

16. CP was the better game manager than KOB. He was a great leader,smart, minimized mistakes and could execute a usually conservative game plan.

KOB was capable of really any throw, and when given time...was close to unstoppable throwing down field. His flaws were lack of mobility, refusing to throw the ball away and toward the end lack of OL help.

So in terms of raw skill, big play ability and natural QB attributes: KOB

In terms of leadership, rallying the troops and minimizing turnovers: Penny

17. Vin

Vin Banned

What's so sad about it? Vinny was Good for us when he was here. He made this team relevant again after the Browning Neagle/Glenn Foley/Neil O'Donnell bullcrap.....

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Both had careers derailed by shoulder injuries as both were top NFL QBs before they got hurt(O'Brien in '86, Chad in '04) but Chad did lead us to 3 postseasons inclduing 1 div title and won playoff games in 2 seperate years including a road playoff game while O'Brien led us to 3 they were all as WC teams and he got benched for the '86 playoffs so Chad is the only Jets QB to start in 3 different postseasons. I loved Kenny growing up and he had the better physical tools but I give the nod to Chad.

19. akibud

akibud Active Member

Oh no You didn't the nerve of you, uttering Ken O'briens name in the same sentence with Chad? In case there is any doubt. It's not even close, look up the stats.. The nerve!!

20. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Chad HANDS DOWN was FAR better than KO'B .... Chad despite his noodle arm was placed in some less than formidable situations.

Between bad coaches (Hackett, Edwards), Bad FO (Bradway) Injuries (2 back to back shoulder issues), not that great a WR corp from time to time and a BAD OL last year.

Chad got a shitty deal throughout his JETS campaign. We all know given time Chad could pick you apart and his Play Action is arguably the BEST in the NFL.

I know some will debate the above, but I refuse to I just go by the facts, not emotions. Chad given the right situation, could have been a star in the NFL. Period.

Ken O'brien on the other hand, if he played the Dolphins 16 times a year throughout his career would have been GREAT.

We all know other than against the Dolphins, Ken O'brien was just TERRIBLE.:wink: