negative look at Favre's acquisition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Bingo!!!! With Favre we are automatically in the mix to be the best WC team, no granted that still leaves a trip to Shitboro , Indy or San Diego waiting for us but lets be honest, this team has shown the ability to play the Pats close over the years. The 1st Mangini vs Chicken game was close, we won the 2nd and the playoff game was close until that awful roughing the pansy call. Last year we were in it at the half until Hobbs ran that kick back and the 2nd game was as close as anybody had played them up to that point. You counter in the upgraded OL and a QB that has the ability to expose the Pats weak spot and we have more than a punchers chance.

2. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

They should have known that based on last year. Everyone used the OL as THE excuse, but it was apparent he's not ready to lead the team anywhere at this point of his career. Shame on Jets management for putting themselves in this situation.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Brett Favre wasn't available until recently. What QB would you suggest they picked up instead?

4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Fuck everybody who hates.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Clemens is on the roster for cheap money. They obviously like him but don't feel he is ready. Chad showed that he still can't throw the ball adequately to put the team in a position to win and Clemens still requires more time. Favre replaces Chad which is a reasonable cap move.

Clemens gets to be the backup in an offense that might actually be better for him built around Favre. Clemens can still compete with Ainge in a year or two or we can draft another QB.

This move is less about Clemens and more about this season and might actually give him the room he needs to improve before taking over.

#25 winstonbiggs, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There are alot more negatives than positives to overcome, I really hope I'm wrong but I don't know if this is the right move for us. I do think the compensation was fair though, we didn't give up too much and the more win the happier I'll be to give up better picks. I just hope this isn't Namath in a Rams uni or Unitas in a Chargers uni.

7. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I'm not a Favre fan based solely on this latest ego-centric episode with the Packers. However, he does make the Jets much, much better. In one of the many other QB posts people wanted to Frankenstein together CP and KC to make our new QB. Well Favre is more on the KC side but he is kinda the cross between the two. His arm will be able to stretch the defense and keep the safeties out of the box. My only hope is that he doesn't continue CPs habits of throwing costly interceptions at the end of games as we're driving for a score.

In my mind this transaction buys the FO time to groom Ainge or draft another franchise QB next year.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The only season where Chad threw late, bad INts was last yera and Clemens threw many crushing INTs as well. We had no OL and no running, that makes life hard on QBs and even when favre was great he always threw terrible INTs including the one that sent GB home last year.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Uh... Guys. I wanted you guys to know that Asante Samuel left the Pats for the Eagles.

10. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I agree with the article, except if I had written it it would be longer. I think he's just scratching the surface onn the downside of this deal.

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

[

"They have a third-year kid, kellen clemens, with a big arm. If the head for the position proves not as promising as the arm, then it should have been back to Chad Pennington and the draft board in April for another quarterback of the future."

This statement immediately nullifies any credibility this guy ever had. Why would they go back to Chad (and I like chad and think he gets way too much abuse on this board) for one year when they can have Brett for the year and still be in a position to draft a young QB next april????? (keep in mind that we will only be paying Brett 3 million more than we would have had to pay Chad this year, so an argument based on salary cap considerations is tenuous at best)This single point does a tremendous disservice to the cherished principles of logic.

12. Coach K

Coach K New Member

or maybe they feel they can win now with brett and have clemens learn behind a guy whos actually been to a super bowl. its not like they see a long future with favre, we all know this.

nah that cant be it. it makes sense.

13. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Its not a bad deal.

Most likely the deal will be for a 3rd or 2nd (jets make the playoffs). If the jets go to the superbowl its a first.

The jets are probably going to get something back from the Saints for Vilma (maybe a 2nd or 3rd) so those picks would be a wash.

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Can you expand on this??? I am curious to hear better arguments focused on dispelling the overwhelming positive reaction to this trade. I personally think the trade was a good one, CONSIDERING the relatively cheap compenstaion deal the jets gave up for an immediate upgrade at the most important position on the field. When rumors of the Jets interest in Favre were first reported (a week and a half ago), I was lukewarm on the prospect of trading for a 38 (soon to be 39) year old quarterback at the tail end of his career. I thought it was a very tough decision and said at the time that I would only do it IF we only had to give up, AT MOST, a 2nd round draft pick. I think the conditional pick deal that the Jets and Packers orchestrated is quite fair to both teams and, as a result, I think the trade was obviously the right move.

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I don't think this is going to work out well either, but just like Greeny siad this AM: at this point, the Jets are now relavent. Tell me the last time this team was relavent in any way, shape, or form. Even when they're good they're irrelavent.

Just enjoy this for the next couple days, folks. I know I will.

16. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I actually agree with the article. The trade isn't the issue....it is the long odds of it being successful (this reminds me of Jordan and the Wizards....or our wonderful acquisitions of Ronnie Lott and Art Monk). I'm not even convinced that Farve won't re-retire before the end of training camp. If Favre created so much chaos in Green Bay, what is he going to do in the New York media circus? Clemens sucked last year, but he is still young and QBs can develop (Phillip Rivers looked God awful when he first hit the NFL). By making this trade, we are completely giving up on Clemens.

The only plus side is that it forces us to sever ties with Pennington, as that was a dead end for this team.

I really hope I am wrong and we win the next 2 Super Bowls, but I think it is more likely we are getting a late-model interception machine.

17. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Which means that we're no worse off then we were before the trade, and we get to enjoy some attention for once.

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Tony-Brett freaking Favre is going to be starting for the Jets against Miami. Brett Favre! I'm so bummed.:beer:

19. bird_1972

bird_1972 New Member

Just out of curiousity, how many years does Favre expect to play?

This trade seems stupid if he only hangs around one year and you guys have to give up a 1st day pick for him.

I certainly hope he doesn't engage in his annual offseason drama: "do I want to retire or not" for all of yours sake.

20. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Brett is a loyal guy, he would be selfish and do something like that.