Erik Boland Sunday TC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by flgreen, Jul 27, 2008.

1. flgreen

flgreen New Member

We know this about Vernon Gholston, at least based on this afternoon’s practice: the Jets backup linemen can’t block him.

* After the Jets moved their practice indoors to the bubble – a storm forced them indoors after 58 minutes outside – Gholston provided many of the highlights for the defense in the 50-minutes that followed. Maybe Gholston had been made aware (obviously he wasn’t but it’s something to cheeky to write) of Eric Mangini’s comments at the morning press conference, saying that the rookie was “swimming” in terms of being overwhelmed with information.

* In one sequence, lining up on the right as the nickel rusher, Gholston left Jacob Bender flat-footed in getting to Chad Pennington for a sack (non-contact). Still thinking about that on second down, Bender false-started – earning a lap – and his replacement, seventh-round pick Nate Garner, was promptly beaten badly by Gholston on the next play for another sack. The following play resulted in Pennington flipping a shuffle pass to Thomas Jones, a good thing because Gholston was in the backfield again.

* Kellen Clemens, working with the first team, threw another interception, giving him four thus far in the preseason compared to zero for Pennington. On the latest one, toward the end of practice and in a sequence where he had been “sacked” by Shaun Ellis (remember, the QBs cannot be hit but a coach can blow a play dead for a sack), Clemens lofted a spiral about 20 yards down the left sideline for Laveranues Coles. David Barrett, however, had good coverage, stepped in front of the slightly underthrown ball and pick it off.

* Clemens, though, still looked better throwing the ball than yesterday. There was a 25-yard dart to Bubba Franks down the middle and a 20-yard strike to Dustin Keller in the seam. A better day, though not a great one.
    As for Pennington, he had his share of nice throws: a 12-yarder to a slanting David Clowney [yes, HIM again], a 15-yard beauty on a crossing route to Chansi Stuckey, who had gotten away from Ahmad Carroll, and, before the team went inside because of the lightning, a nice deep ball down the left sideline to Clowney (again!). Pennington also connected with sixth-round pick Marcus Henry, who had not seen a lot of balls to this point, on about a 15-yard slant. Oh, and before the team headed indoors, Brett Ratliff threw his first pick of camp, overthrowing a ball down the sideline, intended for Coles, that safety Eric Smith swooped in for and intercepted.

* Much of the work done indoors was on special teams. The order of the kickoff returners today was Leon Washington, Darrelle Revis, Stuckey and Justin Miller.

* Finally, to touch on a couple of questions from before: Erik Ainge is throwing the ball but not often and not particularly well. He is clearly the fourth quarterback at this point as Ratliff has thrown some of the best balls at camp. But Ainge just hasn’t thrown the ball enough to make any longterm judgments.
    Sione Pouha is working mostly with the second defense and has had a couple of bursts through the line. As for Miller, he’s still sharing time as the starting corner opposite Revis and is also returning kicks. While there is a time-share with Barrett, it should be noted Miller gets those first-team reps first.

* Back to two practices on Monday, at 8:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. For the first time this camp, the practices are closed to the public so don’t show up to Hofstra. Well, you can show up but you won’t be allowed to watch. The good news – I think – is we’ll be there for both workouts, dashing off another missive or two afterward.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

David Clowney... training camp surprise? Let's see how this guy does in the preseason.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Wright better watch his back because Clowney is looking like he could be the real deal. same with Stuckey. Great stealing Clowney from the GB PS last year Tannenbaum.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Miller may be back to form. I hope he learned how to cover during his rehab, then the Jets will actually have a strong secondary if he can maintain keeping the other side of the field covered. Here's to rooting for Miller. :beer:

5. CaliJetsFan

CaliJetsFan New Member

Was Joe Smith kicking again? How did he look?

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If Miller can jump in at corner, and someone really emerges at the #3 WR spot, we've got a pretty good team coming along, here.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Unless Clowney can tackle I think Wright's job is safe. Wright has proven himself as a great special teams player so it would be tough letting go of someone like that. Smith is probably the one who will be sweating the most, unless Mangini wants to run the option more this season.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound as if Clemens is pushing hard for the QB job at the moment. Still early I know, but four interceptions against none by Chad must give Chad a slight edge at this point.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Chad is dink-and-dunking, and Clemens is throwing downfield.

Interception downfield is 100000 times better than 2 yard dink-and-dunk. What are you smoking?

Clemens got a rocket arm, and he deserves the starting QB just because of that.

10. CatoTheElder

Interceptions are never better than gaining yards!!!! If the other team catches the ball it is never good, period. I'd rather have a dink-and-dunk QB than an idiot who ruins all of our chances offensive chances by turning the ball over, i don't care if we give it to them at their one yard line. You can't win by scoring only safties. Maybe you should start smoking something!

#10 CatoTheElder, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Its these kinds of claims that don't work for any QB in the NFL.

Ryan Leaf had a rocket arm. Vick, Andrew Walter, Jeff George, Quincy Carter, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, also had big arms.

Try Again.

How about Clemens has upside and the FO/CS needs to see what he has since his contract comes up soon.

From what TC is telling us, we are fucked at the QB position and the draft will give us another one.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Ah, and lest we forget Browning Nagle. Remember how good he was going to be?

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

To young sir. My complete Jet knowlege is post 1996. I started to follow football when O'Donnell was the QB, then Parcells took over, and being a Jet fan hasn't been bad since.

98 was cool.

14. 7 to Shea

7 to Shea Member

I'm hoping they give Brett Ratliff a real look. I'd like to see him get some significant time in the Pre-Season games (full 4th quarter). He could be a real surprise. He's got good size (6'4" 225), very strong/accurate arm, and this is his second training camp with Schotty's playbook. Ratliff had a very good college career at Utah.

I hear nothing but positives from people who have gone to camp. When Ratliff's given the opportunity, he has performed.

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

It does sound if Pennington does have the edge at this point. Like I have always said about Pennington; he's a cerebral QB. He is not flash by any standpoint. In fact he is nearly boring, but given the right supporting cast, he can get the job done. When Chad is playing well his trademark is short accurate passes and very, very few mistakes.

But, as soon as the supporting cast fails him, he is incapable of carrying the team on his shoulders and one who can change the game (especially with his arm). So there you have it. If Chad turns out to be our QB for '08 because Clemens just can't quite get it then so be it. Just because Clemens has superior arm strength to Pennington does not make a free ticket to the front of the QB line.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Maybe I need to learn how to use sarcasm better from somebody else. Apparently he missed my point by a mile.

17. Ciorson

Ciorson New Member

I got the sarcasm, but there are some strange opinions on here at times. I guess your absurdity just wasn't absurd enough to cut through the opinions of the nutters.

18. steviep

steviep Active Member

19. CatoTheElder

20. steviep

steviep Active Member