Expect these NFL teams to miss the playoffs again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I agree, there are questions on this team. But which team doesn't have questions going into the training camp, let alone the season?

If the biggest question mark was QB going into this season, can someone name one franchise QB that was available in FA that we could have acquired that could've given us a chance to go to the Super Bowl? And can anyone really suggest we should've made the move to take Derek Anderson away from the Browns or moved up to grab Matt Ryan, or reached to pick up Joe Flacco without "reeking of desperation"?

Considering the fact that Pete Kendall helped keep our line stable, and now we have a Pro-Bowl LG in Faneca, well we can all assume what we can expect from this line.

On offense, I'd like to think Leon Washington can take one to the house whenever he touches the ball. That's just me though, I don't know how others feel. Not to mention the great playmaking ability he brings to the Special Teams.

Fact is, every team goes through injuries. Some teams get lucky, and all their important components don't get hurt. I mean, if you wanna start putting questions on the team, what happens to the Patriots if Tom Brady busts his knee and is done for the season? Cassel looked terrible coming in and playing against a beaten team in the Redskins and managed to get pulled for his horrible play. At that point, Belicheat might have to dust some of those camera off again. What happens if Randy Moss gets hurt? Who's their #1 receiver/playmaker?

What happens if Peyton Manning goes down? Or Reggie Wayne? What happens if Eli Manning goes down? Do any of these teams have depth at those positions? What happens if Robert Gallery goes down and Raider fans watch their Super Bowl dreams and their 6th ranked rushing OL go bye-bye?

If desperation causes a team to make drastic moves and they in turn earn a playoff spot, I see nothing wrong with it.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mm I think Gallery is a very long stretch in your analogy & certainly anything can occur good or bad. The question asked of me was did I think was the reporter report impartial & said IMHO at this juncture of the off season it is. If you read my reply carefully you would have seen that I also suggested that the question be revisted as the off season progresses.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I think the true evaluation of the team should come on Monday Night 9/22/08 after we play San Diego after playing New England the week before. We will know very early this season if we have what it takes to compete in 2008.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You've been run out of town in all those places in just 2 years?

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Not if you ask Raiderjoe it isn't.

6. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

If you want to judge the Jets playoff chances you need to look elsewhere in the AFC. You probably aren't beating the Patriots, so you need to get a wildcard spot. This means you have to compete with teams like the Jags, Titans, potentially the Browns, and maybe Buffalo. The Jets have unquestionably improved their team, the issue is just if they have improved it enough to beat out the other wildcard contenders.

Also, as a Giants fan, I don't get the "they won't make the playoffs" sentiment. They've made it for the past 3 years and are fielding most of last years Super Bowl winning team. I can understand saying they win the wildcard (with Dallas taking the division) and then saying they bow out early, but c'mon! The Giants played very impressive football in the playoffs and if they can play that way 75% of the time it should earn them a playoff berth.

7. Jetscott

Jetscott New Member

I'm sick of hearing about our QB situation. The fact of the matter is, there was no one the Jets could have picked up who could have made their QB situation better this year. THIS YEAR. Brohm or Flacco would have meant at least a year of rebuilding. Chad deserves four games as starter?yank him at the bye week a la Testaverde in 2002 if he fails again. Clemens got his war wounds, and now he can come in as a vet who's played games. How is this terrible? I feel like any other team in the NFL who had landed either Pennington or Clemens in the offseason would have been lauded.
    And on top of that, we have Ainge as our developmental wildcard?one who's a lot more interesting than Brooks Bollinger.

We did what we could with what was available. Let's have a good year.

8. Jetscott

Jetscott New Member

And regarding the Giants not making the playoffs: I am not a Giants fan, but this Florio call was just plain dumb. The Giants didn't accidentally win the Super Bowl. I think that 2008 win was eerily like the Pats' win in 2001...and look where it got the Pats. Okay...follow that analogy and the Giants lose a playoff berth next year, like the Pats did in 2002. But look where they went in the long run.

9. championjets69

Now why would you think anybody would run me out of town in all those cities?

10. championjets69

Well I would suspect your analysis of RJ & Gallery is correct. You would expect him to defend such a hi draft pick that Gallery was

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is spot on. Great post.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Chad deserves four games based on what? Are you under the notion that we are still not rebuilding? Do you think we have built a team capable of taking out the Pats, Chargers, Colts or Jaguars? We did what we could with what was available but with that said it still does not put us in the top tier of the playoff contenders in the Afc. Your team is no longer rebuilding when you can realistically compete for a Superbowl from day one and are ranked to do so.

13. MrTibbs

MrTibbs New Member

LOL, the Jets are going to get annihilated two weeks in a row. That outcome isn't hard to predict so I'll just gave it to you now.

14. zeike

zeike New Member

G-men

Weren't the Giants on this list last year. Gotta love offseason articles...

15. championjets69

Ah there are those that want to continue to dream that impossible dream & when you try to snap them back into the real world you get just more smoke & mirrors

16. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Except his whole argument is stupid...

Writers are not allowed to predict a bad season for us, because there was no way we could have improved our QB situation?

It's true, we didn't have any real way to improve our situation, but that doesn't change the fact that our QB situation sucks, and the team is likely to fall short of expectations barring the emergence of Clemens as a solid QB.

The article posted by the OP gives the writer's rationale for why we will miss the playoffs. His main reason is the crappy QB situation.

That is a fact. Our QB situation is not good, and until it is settled, we are unlikely to be a playoff team, regardless of the improvements made elsewhere.

The article wasn't about what we should have done in the offseason. A team generally doesn't go from 4-12 disaster to contender in one offseason. The article was about why we are unlikely to make the playoffs this season, and I think the writer was pretty much on point (albeit a little vague for my liking)

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Now, Beaman, don't you know that it doesn't matter who the QB is if we can run the ball?

18. GreenMachine

WRONG. I see Jets fans in every city I go to in Florida. But I guess it is part of the NY Metro area.

Also, there is an Official Jets Fan club bar in Atlanta..Is that the NY metro area?

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The Saints did it two years ago. There's a lot more up and down in the league now due to all the player movement and lack of depth.

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Hell, we did it in Mangini's first season (if by contender you mean making the playoffs).

All this bitching about the QB and our not improving is complete bunk. Could we have a better QB situation? Sure, we don't have the best in the league. But we don't exactly have the worst either. We got enough goods to have a good run this year, even if not enough to go all the way. It's a process and you just have to learn to live with it. You can't wave a magic wand and have every position cured. It looks like we have made good progress over last years debacle. All we can hope for is that they continue to do that each year.