Are we getting Olivea?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjcanada, May 26, 2008.

1. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

The 49ers recently asked about free agent OL Shane Olivea, but were reportedly told that he's agreed to terms elsewhere.

The Jets inquired about Olivea, who can play guard and right tackle, after he was cut in February. Olivea will sign with the undisclosed team in June.
    Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

if we are indeed the undisclosed team then i will be pumped. Excellent backup to say the least

2. Still very young, from LI, is versatile and has started for some solid Charger O-lines. He'd be a HUGE get.

3. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Haven't we spent enough resources on the OL for one season?

Do we need to replace D'Brick or one of our free agent signings?

Or am I missing something?

4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

It would be an excellent depth pickup. If someone were to go down, he could start. I'd be thrilled to grab him.

5. Currently our OL deth chart looks like this...

LT: Ferguson/ Bender
    LG: Faneca/ Montgomery/Bender
    C: Mangold/ Woody
    RG: Moore/Montgomery/Bender
    RT: Woody/ Bender/Garner

There's alot of uncertainty at every single back-up spot w/ the exception of MAYBE Bender at RT. Additionally, Woody is no sure thing at RT...and may end up being a better fit long term at RG. Olivea has yet to be signed..so obviously he is inexpensive...and at the very least he brings versatility,depth, starting experience and will enduce compeition.

6. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

Are you stupid or something?
    Our O-line was a mess last season. Two lineman regressed last year, we basically didn't have a LG or a RT, our RG should be a back-up, and we have pretty little depth.

Any help would be amazing...
    And besides, Olivea is good young talent that Callahan can groom into a stud.

7. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

I would love Olivea here. With Callahan he can help him develop into the player he has the talent to be.

8. Ciorson

Ciorson New Member

There's a whole lot of Bender on that backup list. Is he really progressing well, or is there no one else? Maybe both?

9. jetbugga

jetbugga Member

i really question callahan as a coach? i am worried.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Callahan is a great coordinator and position coach. He's proven that in the past.

He wasn't successful as a head coach in college...big deal.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If Olivea can play guard, he may be replacing Moore

OR

If Woody is still effective at guard, Olivea can slide to RT and Woody can replace Moore at guard

12. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Nobody's replacing Moore. He just signed a six-year, $17.3 million extension through 2013.

13. rillo

rillo New Member

I would love this pickup, however I don't think it'll happen IMO.

14. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

He's one of the best offensive coaches in the league, what is there to question?

15. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I would love it if the Jets signed Olivea. I'm not sold on Damien Woody as a right tackle. He had a nice set of games, but this is a guy who signed a big contract once and then packed on the pounds.

Olivea is a gritty brawler. I think we could benefit from having him. He might not be as talented athletically as a lot of guys, but he's gritty and resourceful. He's an excellent pass blocker and would provide insurance should Woody bust or D'Brick continue to regress.

-X-

16. zoobooz

zoobooz Member

After the last couple seasons I've definitely had it ingrained in my head that to be a good team you need to start with the lines. We made a couple big pick-ups, but we're still an injury from disaster.

The more depth we can get the better.

17. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Okay, everyone's picking on me but...

Have any of you General Managers-in-Waiting stopped to consider what signing another OL will do to the Jets salary cap?

My God, it's like you all live in a different era! (The un-capped era.)

I have to believe that the Jets have very little cap space after all their recent free agent signings, much less thinking about how much money it will take to sign their draft picks (who aren't so eager to sign yet, for WHATEVER reason), so... What you guys SHOULD be arguing about is whether the cap money would have been better spent on this player or that!

Give me a F'N break!!!

18. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

6-years for $17.3 is nothing (comparatively speaking anyway). That is backup money in todays league. He could easily be replaced and shifted to a backup role. Which should happen, the guy shouldn't be a starter.

19. zoobooz

zoobooz Member

I don't think it's likely that Olivea merits that large of a contract. I still think they can make some cheap moves thanks to dumping Robertson.

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Do you ever know what the hell you are talking about?

Let's examine what you said:

1) Olivea will be an inexpensive signing. He is not a big name and not much more than a backup at this point. So no matter what contract he gets he won't be much. What the hell do you think he is getting Faneca money?

2) Do you pay attention to what is happening in the league? First of all the owners just ended the CBA. So there might not be a cap in 2 years. Second it goes up every year at ridiculous rates. The salary cap era is practically dead.

3) The Jets dumped Robertson which freed up considerable cap space. Or did you miss the DOZENS of articles written about it? There is more than enough cap space to sign draft picks. Really go google it. I will let you be surprised.

Which brings me to point

4) You imply there is something wrong because the Jets draft picks haven't signed. Only Jake Long and Ryan have come to terms. So it isn't just the Jets not signing picks. And the Jets can't start negotiating with Gholston until he finishes his semester in June.

Give me a F'N break!!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are so full of crap it's not even funny anymore.

#20 dabrowsk1, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008