Peter King- The Importance of having THREE good CBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, May 13, 2008.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Peter King on the importance of having 3 good CB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...11/mmqb/2.html

If you're a general manager, and you don't enter the season with three corners you can trust, you either have a pass-rush like the Giants or you're ignoring what's been going on in this game in the past five or 10 years.
    . . .

According to NFL playing-time documents, the average third corner in the league played 57 percent of his team's defensive snaps last year. Let's look at couple of teams with good secondaries to see how they divvied up cornerback playing time, and that will make my point for me:

Team Cornerbacks Percent Of '07 Defensive Snaps

San Diego

Quentin Jammer 80%
    Drayton Florence 79%
    Antonio Cromartie 72%

Denver

Dre' Bly 97%
    Champ Bailey 90%
    Dominique Foxworth 57%

Third corners most often played more than half of the time, including New England's Randall Gay (53 percent), Hank Poteat of the Jets (54 percent) and the Raiders' Fabian Washington (53 percent).

I remember talking to San Diego GM A.J. Smith the night of the draft. "We got our corner,'' he said happily, referring to first-round pick Antoine Cason. You might wonder why Smith was so focused on getting his corner, with two good starters -- Jammer and Cromartie -- in house, even after losing Florence in free-agency to Jacksonville. "I'm a firm believer in this game today that you need three starting corners to win.'' Amen.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i think we have like 10 corners. one player and nine pretenders.

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Footballgod214, I think you are correct. But then again it is prior to the competition and we must see how the thing unfolds. You know, in our country, every new President starts out the same way -- as a "pretender" auditioning for the role.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Could possibly be the worst analogy I've ever read.

I'd like to give an improved sentence of relation to help your point, but you don't deserve it.

#4 NDmick, May 13, 2008
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  5. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

we got about 3 solid #3 CBs, unfortuatly, we?re missing a #2.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Miller could pan out if he builds on what he started last year. Lowery should be a good #2 option in the future hopefully. Poteat is a solid #3 and will be on the field somehow someway this season.

I'm comfortable with the depth but agree with everyone we need someone to step up or we need to acquire a true #2.

7. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

Miller's coverage blows. I'd keep him around as a KR only.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is based on what? His extensive playing time last year?

Or let me guess... was it because he got smoked in the Pro Bowl when he was elected to play KR?

9. Ciorson

Ciorson New Member

I'd also add that during these 57% or so of plays with a 3rd CB, someone else is not on the field. A smart team will lower the value of that player/position to the overall defense. If you're pulling one of your LBs off the field 57% of the time (for example), then remember that as well when drafting and negotiating contracts.

10. ny4eva22

ny4eva22 New Member

We need help at corner at least one more guy than can def. contribute....

11. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i don't see how anyone can write-off Justin Miller. while we can't expect him to be a starter - or even a good CB - we still don't know yet because he hasn't had ample opportunity.

to predict outright, either way, is an error and can probably be attributed to bias (for/against him) or optimism/pessimism.

personally, i think the tools are there, and if he remains healthy, he can contribute. but i also feel this has to be his make-or-break year (barring another injury) because he has been given time to prove his value, even though he may have not always had a chance (e.g. last season).

12. All Star

All Star Active Member

We have about 4 solid #3 guys but no #2s

13. ToESonNoES58

ToESonNoES58 New Member

Our passing D was ranked pretty well last season but that's only because our Run D was horrible. What scares me is if our Run D steps up this year but our Passing D gets killed cause of it...

14. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I don't know what we've got this year -- there is a lot of work to be done with the DBs and we will have to see what happens.

You can't judge who will show up with what in September by glancing at the resumes in May, in my view.

15. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

We've got a number 1 and about 3 #3's

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

David Barrett can be a strong #2. Not joking.

17. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Everybody would love to have 3 Very good corners its just rare...We have 1 in Revis not shure about 2 let alone 3. Poteat , Miller and Barrett are 3 good "Nickel Corners" at this point. Poteat IMO could be the one to play well at the 2 Corner spot over Barrett and J Miller.

18. There will def. be very good competition for the # 2 and frankly the 3/4 spots at CB...

1. Revis
    2. Barret, Miller, Coleman, Poteat, Woolfolk

19. ToESonNoES58

ToESonNoES58 New Member

I could see it happening

20. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

I couldn't agree more. Everyone just has to relax and see who steps up in TC. Im sure someone will outplay the rest.