SI.com's - Andrew Perloff's 2009 mock draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Apr 29, 2008.

1. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

ANd he can catch the ball and score!

2. JetsLookingforDWare

Andre Smith is only a "better" fit at RT or G because of his size. Anyone who has seen him play knows he's a future LT.

3. GatorNation52

GatorNation52 New Member

I love how naive some people are when it comes to Tebow. They assume that since he can run so well, that thats all he can do. The only reason he ran so much last year was because he was the only effective runner Florida had outside of Percy Harvin (who is a WR) Tebow has a stronger arm than any of the guys in the class this year had (maybe except for Flacco) and is very accurate and doesnt turn the ball over. The mobility is the icing on the cake. Try and watch some of the games before you make ridiculous assumptions about his "inability" to stand in the pocket and throw.

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Tebow still needs more work with his delivery, it's gotten better with coaching, but still needs a lot of work on it. where he holds it, release point, follow through all still need to be addressed. The jump in talent level from Florida to the NFL, those little nuances will be exploited. He also locks on receivers early. Just some observations from someone who watched a lot of film on him.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

interesting that he put 3 OL from Oklahoma in the first round. i guess their OL is going to be pretty good next year. ;)

they were good last year but not 3 first rounders good by any stretch of the imagination.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

DeMarco Murray is a name you're going to hearing a lot next season...A LOT.

7. GatorNation52

GatorNation52 New Member

Oh I agree with you but at this point almost every player that is being projected for next year's draft needs to work or continue to build on something. I by no means am saying you can stick him in the NFL as is and expect him to be great. But he certainly has the ability to play QB very successfully in the pros. My issue is with those who assume that since he ran a lot that he can't be successful as a passer. He adjusted his mechanics last year from his freshman year and was a much better passer than anyone anticipated. As a sophomore last year, strictly from a passing standpoint, he still showed enough ability to potentially be a 1st round pick. My problem is with people who say "5th or 6th round at best" simply because they know nothing about the guy.

8. Mehl-56

As it stands right now, he'd still be considered a project and not NFL ready, and should go no higher than the 3rd... thats right now though

9. JetsLookingforDWare

I have no idea where Tebow should/would/could go in next years draft. He's got first round hype, but I just can't buy a Florida QB with such inconsistent mechanics.

He's a good, smart guy by all accounts, but I hate gadget offense QBs as it is...and he's just flawed in alot of ways as a passer.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Dude, drop the Florida QB stereotype. Steve Spurrier isn't the coach anymore, and undersized Chris Leak was a Zook recruit. Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews, both Spurrier guys, were undersized and had pumped up stats because of Spurrier's fun 'n gun offense.

Calling Tim Tebow overrated because he plays quarterback at Florida is basically the same thing people were doing by comparing Dustin Keller to Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht.

Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen know how to develop quarterbacks. You can't call a rising junior "raw", like you did in another thread. Tim Tebow seems like the kind of player that will stay all four years, so that gives him two more years with Meyer and Mullen to build up his mechanics.

#30 Mr Electric, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

keep those buckeyes coming

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Laurinaitis would be an awesome pick, but we'll most likely have to be in the Top 5 to land him...trade up?

I also like DE Tyson Jackson from LSU and LB Rey Maualuga from USC if we go defense in Round 1.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

He is raw. And he's more of a risen junior than a rising one. He's getting a ton of hype as it is, with multiple mocks already stamping him in as the #1 pick. He's got alot of time to have his flaws picked apart.

Fact of the matter is Florida doesn't run a pro style offense, Spurrier's or not. That hurts him alot in my eyes.

So does his throwing motion.

His decision making has to be questioned because 1. the offense is very QB friendly and 2. his throwing motion problems mean he can not/does not set his feet right and get himself into a good position to throw. It really takes off his arm strength, because he's got a pretty good arm and when he's set he can be pretty accurate.

He'd be the Vince Young of next years draft...but at least Young was consistent with his mechanics and he was more explosive a runner coming out.

I'll say it again: Matt Stafford > Tim Tebow.

Does that mean he's not going to fix it? No. I even said that in another thread. As of right now, I was not impressed with Tebow as an NFL QB prospect last year. He's got alot to improve on this season.

#33 JetsLookingforDWare, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  14. Mehl-56

I see him having the same problems as another Urban Meyer QB... Alex Smith. I'd be hesitant to take him that high and have to wait till year 4 to figure out he's having problems assymilating a pro offense, and still has problems mechanically.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not saying that Matt Stafford isn't the better pro prospect. I never said anything like that. I'm just defending Tebow from the "Florida QB" stereotype.

Vince Young has horrible mechanics. He's got horrible feet RIGHT NOW, and he is still learning how to play QB under center instead of in the gun. He's a lot like Tebow. The difference between the two is throwing motion. Tebow is working on his over the top delivery, while Young still throws short side-arm.

Tebow is a rising junior...give him time to develop into an eligable pro prospect before you call him a bad one. All college players are raw. It's not fair to label him like that so early in his career.