Dwight Lowery, Welcome to the New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by savinoRB2, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ronnieb

ronnieb New Member

Like I said, from what I have seen from Dwight, he will do whatever it takes to excel. He is a team first guy and has great character.

2. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Yup, Mickens part 2. And that's a good thing.

Love his back peddle in the vids by the way.

3. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

He's got great, great technique. Mangini will love coaching him.

At worst, he will be an exceptional nickel DB. At best, he'll be a solid starter at safety or maybe even CB.

4. ronnieb

ronnieb New Member

I love this kid, he is in the gym constantly working on his game. If he was not so good at football he could start a career in Olympic lifting. He learns fast and is great at attention to detail. Show the guy some love, He truly will put his best effort forward in every situation. Another DL fact, he had 42 picks in his lst 60 games.

#64 ronnieb, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Hey, if he wants to post here, that would be one hell of a find. I remember reading Blake Spence's diary on AOL when I was a kid 10 years ago. Would be cool to have a player on here, the TGG favorite son.

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

FYI, dont mistaken #35 Matt Castelo for #25 Dwight Lowery. That video shows alot of Castelo in the end, who is making all the good tackles. Lowery is an average tackler who needs to improve if hes going to be a safety, or the physical corner that Mangini covets.

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

for the last time, I dont play at SJSU. I know a few who do though. Lowery isnt one, although if I see him on campus, I'm most def gonna say whats up to him and wish him luck with the Jets.

I have watched Lowery over the past 2 seasons. I think I have shed all my thoughts on him as a player already. Im no expert, but I always thought he was the real deal. Hell, what do I know, I see good talent at SJSU once in a blue moon, and I really have nothing to compare it to. Its not like we play in the SEC, ACC, or Big 10.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

9. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Lol found this on an article about him found it nice he already had a jets shirt maybe it was a sign

http://www.mercurynews.com/centralcoast/ci_9081422

10. J-Dogg

J-Dogg New Member

#70 J-Dogg, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  11. J-Dogg

J-Dogg New Member

#71 J-Dogg, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  12. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Great to her Jason

I think Dwight will be a fantastic piece to this team. Everything I've heard about him seems to make him a perfect fit for this team. Mangini always says he wants players that love football, and Dwight fits that bill to the T. Watching the limited tape of him that I have seen, he just seems to have fantastic instincts and knows how to read WR moves as well as most vets. When I found out he's a videogame fan as well, that sealed the deal ;).

Keep us updated on Dwight too, we'd love to hear how he's progressing!

For those who haven't seen the Times article on Dwight, here's a piece that has me excited:

13. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good word Jason, we definitely need a break every now and then

14. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

Thanks J-Dogg.

There was another 4th round corner that flourished under Mangini. If we can get even half the production of Asante Samuel, I'll be stoked. As it is, it looks like he'll be competing for the other CB spot, possibly the FS spot. I'm really excited about this guy!

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks J-Dogg, I've spent the last couple of days watching what clips I could find on Lowery and I've loved most of what I've seen, I love players that have a sense for the ball and the willingness to play for the ball when it's a good pick chance.

16. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Me gusta. sii

17. 624

624 Banned

soo...safety or CB?

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Now I am even more happy than I was yesterday with this kid. Thanks for teh great insight J-Dogg. I can say with fairly good certainty we have never had a strength and conditioning coach posting on the board before. The closest thing we have had to a contact in the NFL was Micheal Ricks mother who posted here during the TC a few years back when Ricks was trying to make our roster.

Also J-Dogg this information is great, especially those 40 times seeing as how the 2 biggest knocks I could find on Lowery are stiff hip in twisting to cover the go-route, and his straight line speed. So J-Dogg seeing as how you have been his strength and conditioning coach at SJSU could you give us your best prediction on which position you think Dwight can come in to the NFL and likely play the best? We need both a FS and a #2 CB opposite Revis.

It is my personal thought that it is easier to come in and learn the FS position, as opposed to CB (in terms of guarding top NFL recievers in man to man) because coaches really have to trust those CB's in man to man coverage, if they get beaten, it's all she wrote. Safeties, could still screw up, and they have a chance to correct that mistake without giving up a touchdown. This is just my thought, and not necessarily truth however.

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

from what I've seen of him so far and his ability to read plays and his ball hawking ability I'd say he's best suited for the free safety position, let him read the play and as a free safety he'd be more free to go after the ball than to just defend the pass as he would be as a CB. Course as a CB we'd have two potentially great shutdown corners but with his hands I'd love to see him more free to play the ball, I love turnovers....when we're the ones forcing them that is.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I like what I'm hearing about this kid. He'll fit in just fine.

Welcome on Dwight!