Dustin Keller, our new TE- Welcome to New York

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by notjustQBs, Apr 26, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Apparently word spread that the Giants wanted him.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

San Diego, Cleveland and the Giants for starters.

3. indy35

indy35 New Member

Don't forget the colts, dallas clark plays a huge part in the colts offense.

4. Beamen

Beamen New Member

You keep saying that over and over, and, since I've been around here for a while and have seen you make a lot of quality posts, I don't really know what to make of it.

Normally, I'd say someone who formulates this opinion simply doesn't watch the games, but I know you better than that. So what is it? Being contrary just for the hell of it?

Baker isn't a "stretch-the-field" type of TE, but he DOES get open underneath, and 90% of the time, if the ball is thrown within 3 yards of him, he finds a way to pull it in.... I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that he has some of the best hands on the team.

The issue, at least in 2007, lied with the QBs, and, early in the season, with the OL.

Early last year, Baker spent a LOT of passing downs serving as a 6th OL, because we were so terrible up front. When he was able to get into a pass-route, he'd often find a spot in the zone, and settle, and- with Chad as the QB- be ignored.

Pennington, except for when he's forced to because of time or down and distance (2 min drill, 3rd and 15, etc), generally does not attempt to complete passes downfield unless the target is WIDE open. Considering TEs are often in routes that require them to find a small seam in between zones and settle down, it is no surprise that Pennington, more often than not, resorted to the check down instead of hitting the TE in the seam.

With Clemens, Baker had a few more opportunities, and, generally, capitalized. But still, many of Clemens short/intermediate throws were errant, and thus it was hard for ANY receiver to develop any sort of continuity.

But if you WATCH the games (especially if you are there in person, as it is easier to identify pass routes and coverage) you can see that Baker runs very good routes, and is pretty good at finding the soft-spot in the zone and presenting the QB his chest as a target.

No, he's not a world beater, but he is a pretty decent blocker, runs good routes, and has, arguably, the best hands on the team.... He has consistently shown that, when given the opportunity, he performs.

Add onto that the acquisition of Franks, and Mangini's insistence last season on giving Kowalewski and Pociask significant time to develop in games, and it seems to make little sense to trade up to draft a TE who may not even be a good enough blocker to be an every down type of guy....

Could Keller turn out to be a great player? Yeah, it's possible. And that's great if he does...

But, coming out of a 4-12 season, with major question marks at one S spot, one CB spot, RT, and possibly QB and WR, trading away a mid-round draft pick to move up 6 spots and pick a player at a position where we have as much depth as anywhere else on the team, is a questionable move, at best...

5. vanyjetsfan

vanyjetsfan Member

Look at his Combine #'s:

His bench press was better than any reciever
    Vertical Jump would have been second in the reciever class
    Broad Jump second
    40 time of 4.55 shows good speed
    20-Yard Shuttle 4th

Only knock is he's 6'-2". If he was 6'-5" he'd be a top 15 pick

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Dwayne Robertson = DROB
    Justin McCarinesn = JMAC
    Darren McFadden = DMC

we need a nick name for "Keller Keller the NE-Killer". I googled "KKK" but that's already taken. Any suggestions?

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Depth does you no good if they all suck. Baker has good hands, but no where near the open feild speed of Keller.

Keller was brought in to be the H-back that the Jets have been searching for. If Kowalewski and Pociask had been able to get the job done this would not have come about. He's not going to be used in the traditional TE role. So he does not need to be 6-5 and 270 pounds.

People are getting hung up on the label TE and not what kind of play maker this guy can be if used properly.

8. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

First of all Please check yourself at the door if you continune to post thoughtout and insightful posts...No need for that here!!

No doubt that the need for a DE, a CB and a true WR are of a priority for us, but it was very telling when Tannenbaum on this mornings Jets Nation commented that Keller was the next player on their board. More often then not following the draft board is a very good philosophy to follow. I also believe that then interest of other teams (e.g.Giants, Saints, Chiefs) was very telling in why we traded up for him. That is obvious.

Mayock commented that he had no WR as a 1st round grade, with the primiary reason being that no one showed average ability to get off the ball and to work themselves away from the defenders. Applying that scouting philosophy to Keller makes the pick that much more understandable. Keller is going to cause defensive nightmares. How do you cover a TE with 4.5 speed that excels at route running with a LB or nickleback? Also a huge plus here is that he played for Joe Tiller who runs a true pro style offense.

I'm just diappointed that he didn't stick out more to me personally. 68 catches last year with 16 career TD's for a TE should make everyone take notice. This guy truly fell under the radar and has all thew makings of a diamond in the rough ( 2 cliches in one sentence? I sound like Cris Carter...)

9. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Keller will line up at WR too, especially in the red zone as well. Not only will he produce matchups with LB that are slower than him, he'll have a distinct advantage over CB that will cover him when he lines up in the slot.

My theory with Keller: the Jets liked him better than the tall WR in the draft like Hardy and Sweed. His added versatility as a TE set him apart. Look at how Dallas Clark has opened up the Indy defense- he lines up in the slot all the time. Keller has good hands and might be the best slot receiver we've had in a while.

I anticipate Baker coming back so Keller might see a lot of action in the slot his first year.

Limas Sweed= 6'3, 40 time of 4.52
    James Hardy= 6'6, 40 time of 4.51
    Dustin Keller= 6'3, 40 time of 4.55, and weighs a good 25 pounds more than either of the other two

Even as a WR, I think Keller is the best option.

#209 Gubernaculum, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  10. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

More frustration with everyone bashin the pick more than anything else...

I am on the record as saying I'd like Baker to be here because then we finally have a TE for every situation. I know he has good hands... I'm not overly impressed with his blocking and I know he is more the traditional TE that really doesn't stretch the field, but plays his role underneath.

But... he is making waves. If he doesn't want to be here, show him the door.

There has to be more to it than QB play, and a bad O-Line as well. You get playmakers the ball, and if he was that good of a TE, he'd most definately be worked into the Gameplan more if he's considered a weapon.

our O-Coordinator comes from an organization that used the tight end extensively, and somehow I just don't think he'd abondon that because he changed coasts. There is more than meets the eye going on here in regards to Baker. He really is nothing special... and I really blieve he is just an average TE, otherwise they'd make it a point to use him more often.

11. Roy_Munson

Roy_Munson New Member

Who cares if the Giants wanted him? That's an excuse for us to trade up and get him?

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Huh? We cared that the Giants wanted him because they picked ahead of us...? Am I missing something here?

13. 624

624 Banned

Remember when so many people hated trading up for "another Tight End"?

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That was my initial thought til I hit up youtube and saw what a beast he was

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Too bad we drafted him, we should've stuck with Baker and Franks.

16. 624

624 Banned

Yeah same, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little upset at first.

...until I actually read up and watched some videos on this guy.

I loved the pick 20 minutes after it happened.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Keller + wearing that t-shirt in July = 5 TDs after week 4

[​IMG]

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I called my friend around pick 28 saying don't be shocked if Dustin Keller was taken at 36 to my friend who was going to school down south.

I wish he kept that voicemail. I'd put up on here for proof.

19. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

You have the love the cry for Limas Sweed, Hardy, etc.

Tanny has deserved faith in his draft decisions at this point (he had not earned that 2.5 years ago).

20. dannymac910

dannymac910 Member

LOL. God I love hindsight.