20 Years Of POOR Drafting By The Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KHBirdman, Mar 31, 2006.

1. KHBirdman

KHBirdman Banned

LOOK HOW POOR OUR LAST 20 DRAFTS HAVE BEEN. At the time, I was happy with 1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2000, 2001, & 2004 which is a measly 35%.

1986 Mike Haight - This guy wasn't even expected to be a first round pick but we took this loser.
    1987 Roger Vick - Didn't we have Freeman McNeil, Johnny Hector, and Tony Paige? What a waste!
    1988 Dave Cadigan - We just missed Tim Brown & Sterling Sharpe but then passed on Michael Irvin.
    1989 Jeff Lageman - who???
    1990 Blair Thomas - I can't argue that pick at the time.
    1991 No first round pick...forfitted for drafting Rob Moore in Supplemental Draft. Drafted Nagle in 2nd Round. OUCH.
    1992 Johnny Mitchell. I wanted Derek Brown. Both turned out to not be great.
    1993 Marvin Jones. Great pick !
    1994 Aaron Glenn. Another great pick !
    1995 Kyle Brady & Hugh Douglas - Passed over SAPP the first time !
    1996 Keyshawn Johnson - Great Pick. Too bad we didn't have a GREAT QB to get him the ball once Vinny went down.
    1997 James Farrior. We had the #1 for Orlando Pace and traded down. Not a good move !
    1998 No first round pick due to Curtis Martin. We grabbed Dorian Boose in 2nd round. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !
    1999 No first round pick due to Parcells compensation. We picked Randy Thomas in 2nd round who was a nice pick.
    2000 Ellis, Abraham, Pennington, and Becht. I had issues with the Abraham at the time but one hell of a draft.
    2001 Santana Moss - would have been a GREAT pick if we had a QB that could get him the ball down field.
    2002 Bryan Thomas - waste of a pick when you just drafted Abraham and Ellis 2 years prior.
    2003 Dewayne Robertson - he'll be OK but I would have rather had our 2 first round picks.
    2004 Johnathan Vilma - One of the best draft picks of all time by the Jets.
    2005 No first round pick cause we traded it for Doug Jolley instead of drafting Heath Miller. One of the WORST trades EVER.

#1 KHBirdman, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

That's hopefully the past. I am convinced that the new FO will do better,even though 1996 and 2004 were good picks

3. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

2005 - We did not trade a #1 for Doug Jolley. We dealt down 18 slots for Doug Jolley. That's a HUGE DIFFERENCE

2003 - I agree

2002 - I agree, with Reed on the board

1997 - It was a good move. Parcells didn't want to pay a #1, especially one rumored not to want to come to NY. He got additional picks which helped lead to the 1998 season

1996 - Great Pick?! No, I disagree. Keyshawn was good, but it wasn't a GREAT PICK

1995 - You can't criticize a team for skipping on Sapp

4. Calz

Calz New Member

Can't see why people are still down on the Jolley trade - we have a franchise kicker who was REALLY strong last season after his rough start... I don't remember the percentage but it was strong. Nugent will be the key to a few wins in the future, just wait and see - last year was a necessary debacle to clean house and reinstill hope in the franchise... and Nugent will be a big part of it, guaranteed.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

How can't you criticize a team for skipping on Sapp, when he was by far the BPA and a huge need. I could still hear the We Want Sapp chant.. everyone and there mother wanted Sapp and we pick Kyle Brady?? That deserves more critisism than any draft pick we ever made..

6. GreenMachine

Hmmm...Not every team is great in the Draft...The Jets are just the Media doormat...

How About Miami????

First-Round Draft Picks -- Miami
    Year Player Pos. School
    2005 Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
    2004 Vernon Carey G Miami (Fla.)
    2003 No Pick -- --
    2002 No Pick -- --
    2001 Jamar Fletcher CB Wisconsin
    2000 No Pick -- --
    1999 No Pick -- --
    1998 John Avery RB Mississippi
    1997 Yatil Green WR Miami-Fla
    1996 Daryl Gardener DT Baylor
    1995 Billy Milner OT Houston
    1994 Tim Bowens DT Mississippi
    1993 O.J. McDuffie WR Penn State
    1992 Troy Vincent CB Wisconsin
    Marco Coleman LB Georgia Tech
    1991 Randall Hill WR Miami-Fla
    1990 Richmond Webb T Texas A&M
    1989 Sammie Smith RB Florida State
    Louis Oliver S Florida
    1988 Eric Kumerow DE Ohio State
    1987 John Bosa DE Boston College
    1986 No Pick -- --
    1985 Lorenzo Hampton RB Florida
    1984 Jackie Shipp LB Oklahoma
    1983 Dan Marino QB Pittsburgh
    You get the point...

7. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Wow reviewing that draft im sick to my stomach and cant eat lunch.

8. Fleming

Fleming New Member

Any FO can have a slump like this. :) Dwayne and B Thomas back to back was a really bad deal.
    Tangini better do better.

9. bleedingreennwhite

bleedingreennwhite New Member

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You are comppletely wrong about the Jolley trade...

Read my Sig...

11. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Drug Charges....

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I don't understand the point of this post. It's either got to be that we're truly interested in history or we're interested in promoting the notion that unsuccessful drafts by other GM's in the past necessarily extrapolate into unsuccessful drafts by our new team this April and in the future.

If we're interested in the history of what former GM's and coaches did to screw up our draft, that might be interesting to some, but not to me. It's history after all, and a relatively meaningless study. It matters little to me how badly our former FO personnel messed things up.

If we're interested in promulgating the theory that because we screwed up some drafts in the past, this necessarily means that Tannenbaum and Mangini will screw this one up, I'm not buying it. So either way, I fail to see the point of this post (sorry).

13. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

All of that garbage and only 2 losing seasons.......

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

What? he and marvin Washington were a good tandom. He had some injury problems but was a very good placer for us.

15. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

1986 Mike Haight - This guy wasn't even expected to be a first round pick but we took this loser. BAD PICK!
    1987 Roger Vick - Didn't we have Freeman McNeil, Johnny Hector, and Tony Paige? What a waste! BAD PICK!
    1988 Dave Cadigan - We just missed Tim Brown & Sterling Sharpe but then passed on Michael Irvin. BAP PICK!
    1989 Jeff Lageman - who??? Was a good pass rusher, but not a good pick!
    1990 Blair Thomas - I can't argue that pick at the time. I could!
    1991 No first round pick...forfitted for drafting Rob Moore in Supplemental Draft. Drafted Nagle in 2nd Round. OUCH. Moore was worth it...
    1992 Johnny Mitchell. I wanted Derek Brown. Both turned out to not be great. BAD PICK
    1993 Marvin Jones. Great pick ! Great? Are you kidding me? Never became a Pro Bowl Player. Overrated!
    1994 Aaron Glenn. Another great pick ! One of the best!
    1995 Kyle Brady & Hugh Douglas - Passed over SAPP the first time ! MISTAKE to pass on Sapp!
    1996 Keyshawn Johnson - Great Pick. Too bad we didn't have a GREAT QB to get him the ball once Vinny went down. Good pick!
    1997 James Farrior. We had the #1 for Orlando Pace and traded down. Not a good move ! Pace would have been a franchise Tackle!
    1998 No first round pick due to Curtis Martin. We grabbed Dorian Boose in 2nd round. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Good value for Martin!
    1999 No first round pick due to Parcells compensation. We picked Randy Thomas in 2nd round who was a nice pick.
    2000 Ellis, Abraham, Pennington, and Becht. I had issues with the Abraham at the time but one hell of a draft. Awesome selections!
    2001 Santana Moss - would have been a GREAT pick if we had a QB that could get him the ball down field. MISTAKE!
    2002 Bryan Thomas - waste of a pick when you just drafted Abraham and Ellis 2 years prior. BUST!
    2003 Dewayne Robertson - he'll be OK but I would have rather had our 2 first round picks. Dissapointing so far...
    2004 Johnathan Vilma - One of the best draft picks of all time by the Jets. Wait and see...
    2005 No first round pick cause we traded it for Doug Jolley instead of drafting Heath Miller. One of the WORST trades EVER. Not a great move!

16. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Let's go back a little farther, shall we?

1985 Al Toon WR Great Pick, even though we passed on Jerry Rice
    1984 Russell Carter CB Good pick, good player
    Ron Faurot DE-DT Arkansas BAD!
    1983 Ken O'Brien QB Excellent pick, 2nd best QB in Jet history. Forget Marino, Dan would have been destroyed behind the Jet line, while O'Brien toughed it out...
    1982 Bob Crable LB good, but injuries cut short his career
    1981 Freeman McNeil RB EXCELLENT PICK, after missing out on Hugh Green and Lawrence Taylor.
    1980 Johnny "Lam" Jones WR worst pick in team history, considering we traded up to get him!
    1979 Marty Lyons DE-DT solid pick
    1978 Chris Ward T dissapointing career, talented player
    1977 Marvin Powell T 2nd best pick in team history, should be in the HOF!
    1976 Richard Todd QB mistake to take Todd to play in NY after Joe!
    1975 No Pick -- -- traded for Billy Newsome? Why?
    1974 Carl Barzilauskas DT started great, finished bad...so-so
    1973 Burgess Owens S excellent pick, player, leader
    1972 Jerome Barkum WR-TE excellent pick
    Mike Taylor LB Bad Pick!
    1971 John Riggins RB excellent pick! HOF'er!
    1970 Steve Tannen DB decent pick

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Especially since all the Jets fans attending the draft were chanting "We want Sapp".

18. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Why should I care about drafts from so long ago?? We got a new coaching staff and FO. The future is all that matters

19. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

How can you say that Chris Ward had a disappointing carreer? He was great for us.

20. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

what have they done to convince you?