Charlie Casserly: Jets could be facing Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotlandJet, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Listening to Charlie Casserly on Wfan has got me really nervous about Saturday. Casserly who I rate very highly and always gives good insight into the draft has us being left out in the cold with no Gholston, no Chris Long, and no McFadden on the board for us at 6. In his opinion we will be facing taking Ryan or trading out.

Ofcourse this is just conjecture but I have my heart set on a new Run DMC and I will be sick if we end up taking Ryan. I never thought I would say this but I am for trading up to get Long or McFadden. I'm lousey at poker. KC have fu** ed up the draft for us. Lets hear your thoughts.
    Whats going on today guys?

2. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

We beat KC the last game of the year. That could've made the difference in getting one of these guys. We have to hope matt ryan is gone before our pick if we're so adverse against him.

3. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

If the Falcons don't take Ryan and the Raiders grab McFadden that's a definite possibility.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I feel some of your pain...not all of it...but some of it...because in the grand scheme of things, i think we need a QB.

Why? Because our QB's stink.

But i would much rather have a guy like Chad Henne...who's got a cannon and is more NFL ready than any of the other QB's (besides Brohm).

So let's hope Baltimore, Chicago, or Carolina get horny for Ryan...and decided to trade up with us....

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Sedrick Ellis might be a better guy. Some people will want to jump ahead of Cincy, or Cincy might want to trade ahead of NO taking the 8th pick.

6. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

I think the whole Ryan and the Jets thing is a smokescreen to trade the pick to either Baltimore or Carolina. That would be great to get extra picks and still pickup quality in the 1st round (McKelvin, Cromartie, Mendenhall, Harvey?)

Why would we take a QB after all the moves we made? We need players who can play right away. Agh.

If its Ryan, I am dyin.

7. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

I can see Atlanta jumping all over Dorsey if St Louis passes on him. They can pick up a decent QB in the 2nd round, I think they have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds if I remember correctly.

I think we are a year away from deciding on drafting another QB. However, I see us having a good year in 08, so hopefully we won't be this close to the top of the draft next year.

Personally, I would rather draft Ryan than reach on a CB.

8. SUorangefootball

SUorangefootball New Member

Chad Henne is a joke, a MOTHER FING JOKE, just go look on Youtube you'll see what i mean....we don't need any QB who already has a song about how bad he is.....

youtube.com/watch?v=n8bzZEtOcb8

9. Quack

Quack New Member

Heheheh App. State game . . . . Heheh.

10. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I have no idea why the Jets would be interested in Matt Ryan.

1.Mangini and Tannenbaum are on a short leash. They have to win this year. In this case, taking a guy like Gholston or McFadden who can make an immediate impact would be the smart play. Ryan isn't going to buy them any time, and as a rookie, he's not likely to be appreciably better than Kellen Clemens.

2.Just because a guy is available at a position of need doesn't mean he's "the right guy." What is there to like about Ryan other than the fact that he looks the part? In a draft where a 1AA quarterback is the third best prospect(shades of Giovanni Carmazzi) a guy who threw 19 INT's in a down ACC can be king, I suppose. It doesn't hurt that he's from Boston and his name sounds a lot like Tom Brady. Look, I think Ryan has the tools, I just question his decision making and his elite status. I really don't see why he's rated higher than Brohm.

3.You don't build an elite run blocking offensive line for the likes of Thomas Jones, who seems to be another Johnny Johnson type. That's like putting spinners, tints, and a system on a 1994 Ford Taurus. Moreover, if the Jets should pass on Darren McFadden to take Matt Ryan, it's likely he'd end up in New England. Normally I wouldn't advocate acquiring a player to keep him from a hated rival, but this isn't "normally."

4.As much as I don't love Clemens, I believe it would be ridiculous to quit on him, and, even more importantly, an admittance of draft day incompetence. I believe Clemens will benefit tremendously from an improved offensive line and running game and a healthy wide receiver corps. Honestly, despite his terrible play, how many times were we blown out last year?

11. zeike

zeike New Member

Dorsey

The key to this whole thing is Dorsey has to go 2. Whether it's the Rams or another team trading up, if Dorsey goes 2 we will have one of either Long - Gholston - McFadden left on the board at 6. If Long goes 2, Dorsey will probably go three which leaves the distinct possibility that Gholston and McFadden will go 4 - 5 (not necessarily in that order) and then Ryan will be BPA. In that case, you trade down with whoever you can and try to stockpile picks. If no trade, then maybe you do the Ryan and trade Pennington thing.

Dorsey has to go 2! Believe.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Blown out only by Dallas.

And damn, when you post you take names and kick ass. Great job.

13. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

The smoke screening in this draft is insane. Why? because the Top 10 are pretty weak for the most part.

I'm thinking the only real blue chipper is Dorsey, everyone else has some real question marks.

I would not be suprised if Gholston and/or Ryan both slid down and a couple of suprise players entered the Top 8. Maybe one of the CB's, WR's or even one of the other QB's.

Gholston is getting way too much hype, I would steer clear of that...too much like a Blair Thomas or D-Rob type of a situation.

Ryan is not a slam dunk franchise QB, no need to take him Top 6.

I say let the chips (most of which are not blue) fall where they may and grad the best available at 6. None of these guys have Savior written on them.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I would identify McFadden as a blue chip. People don't like him because of his off the field issues and because he's physically not a freak of nature, but production wise he's been consistently awesome his entire college career. Some guys are top picks simply because they are just great football players and it seems like McFadden is one of those. If he can turn his life around ala Curtis Martin then he will be elite.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Strong post

16. Quack

Quack New Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Remember when Glen Dorsey was the best player in college football? Yeah, that kind of hasn't changed. Even with the BS knee allegations he's the best player on the board. Hell, even if you think that McFadden is the best runningback in years, Dorsey is at the very least the best defensive player in the draft.

also, cocks.

17. ........

........ Trolls

I would love it if Matt Ryan were the only option at 6. That would almost certainly mean trade offers, and we'd be able to move all the way down to 12 if Carolina is as interested as people believe. That's an extra second rounder. Pick up BPA in the 1st (Jonathan Stewart), and take Quentin Groves with the first 2nd rounder and a receiver with the second. Sounds great to me.

18. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Why are you harping on us being in this position because we beat KC.In a 16 game season you play to WIN every SINGLE game, not play to jockey for draft position.The draft is 7 rounds long, not 5 picks long.WE will get a good player whther Gholston, DMC and Long are gone or not.Come on.Nobody who calls themself a sport fan should ever want their team to lose a game so they can draft 2 or three spots earlier. Is Mangini supposed to tell the players to throw the game? Or are the players who are trying to prove themselves capable of returning next season supposed to throw the game so they can be replaced by some college kids?Come on.

19. Quack

Quack New Member

I want this draft scenario inside me.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

How does Dorsey have no question marks, but McFadden does? Dorsey is undersized and he's gotten hurt the last 2 years.