Wade Smith, backup NYJ center, to CHIEFS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by notjustQBs, Apr 21, 2008.

1. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Wade Smith has signed with the KC Chiefs according to Profootballtalk.com

Here's the link:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/21/chiefs-sign-a-center/

Once again, I'd like to point out that we have little or NO DEPTH on the OL for the NYJ.

This depth on the OL is a REAL concern that all this skill player preoccupation shouldn't take the place of.

Here's hoping the FO and the CS of the NYJ are on the ball with this priority.

2. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Jacob Bender, Clint Oldenburg, Will Montgomery, Matt McChesney, Stanley Daniels, Robert Turner and Wayne Hunter.

The amount of depth isn't an issue. The talent of the depth may be, but that's why they are backups.

If they absolutely need someone, they'll pick them up in preseason.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Wade Smith was a beast as a backup- why the hell would we put our faith in guys who i believe won't do as good a job if someone needs a break or goes down. Bender ok because we are grooming him, but the rest are unknown and do not have the experience Wade did in the system.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

OL backup is extremely important, just as it is on the DL. These are not small guys, they need rest during games. Also Linemen get hurt, alot. Not to mention we need guys to groom when Faneca and Woody get too old. And I just don't mean signing a guy from the street, a talented young guy to groom.

The only guy on that list that fits that description is Bender and maybe Montgomery in a crunch. Just because you have a bunch of no names doesn't mean it is quality. And no this "that is why they are backups" line is nonsense. Championship level teams have quality depth along the lines, guys that can come in and not lose a beat if a starter is hurt. Colts, SD, NE, Steelers, all having quality depth. Picking someon no name in the preseason is what caused us all the problems we have had in the past with the OL.

5. Ciorson

Ciorson New Member

Didn't we go from Clarke to Bender to Montogmery to Turner, etc. at LG last year? If Smith didn't start over any of them with as bad of a situation as we were in at LG, how good of a backup can he be?

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Smith was the backup OC, and he took over for Mangold whenever he got nicked up or needed a breather. And he did a fine job of it. As far as backups go, he was pretty good.

7. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

I think our O-Line will be fine for this season. We can really go after some O line talent in next years draft, as long as at least one pick is O line this year.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

OLine depth is important, but it's not as important as depth at most other positions unless injuries hit hard. It's good to have one or two reliable backups, but it's not as much a rotation position like DL or LB.

9. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Woody can back-up C, RG and RT. Shed no tears for the departure of Wade Smith. But not signing him leads me to seriously believe that we would most likely draft an OL next week.

10. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Woody can't backup anybody if Woody is playing the starting RT.

Wade Smith was our ONLY reliable backup center.

Bender was not used at all last year (a little exposure during pre-season doesn't count) because apparently he is a "long-term project."

The rest of this "cannon fodder" has yet to show up.

I would say that the apparent disregard for Wade Smith by the FO / CS indicates that there is more changes afoot in the OL this year, and probably in the draft.

Dabrowsk1, who do you like as a backup center in the draft?

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh geez, Wade Smith. Gimmie a break, they can't keep everyone. This isn't even remotely a big deal.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The thought is this- what other backup came up big for us besides Smith when Mangold went down or anyone else? None. There is a comfort factor with Smith, he was our Bob Whitfield (Giants). These other guys we don't know, and most OLs are one or two guys going down from being ranked 28th or lower like we were last year. Its the same thought as why hasn't poteat been resigned... Fan favorites that we'd like to see back.

13. FITM

All of New England's backup offensive line went either 5th round or later, two of them went undrafted.

All of Indianapolis' backup offensive lineman went in round six or later, with the exception of their center, who went in the 4th. The left side of their backups on the offensive line went undrafted.

Two of San Diego's three reserve offensive lineman went in the 7th round, the other went undrafted.

This is how teams build their backup lineman. Gather a bunch of undrafted free agents or 6th or 7th round picks that were cut, find the best out of the bunch. It is no different than what the Colts, Pats and Chargers have done.

14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Good question. Honestly, after the 2nd round there is no Olineman that really jumps out at you. So teams looking for OL help are going to have to go early. Then it depends on the scout depts to really dig up some OL prospects on day 2. And since the FO spent a 1st rounder on Mangold I don't see them go high for C backup too. I do expect them to draft OL on day one, just a feeling. Maybe wait for June 1st cuts for an OC? They must have something in mind though, or they would have signed Smith.

15. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Ummm, where in my post did I say anything about drafting high for OL depth? I never even mentioned the draft, so I have no idea what the hell you are talking about, or how that addresses what I said at all.

I said it is important to have QUALITY depth, that is it. What that means is that you find good backups and keep them. Smith was a good backup, quality, he should have been kept IMO.

All of those players and teams you mentioned, they draft and look every year for better backups. But once they find them, they keep them, and not let them walk. You just can't expect to keep signing guys off the street every year and expect good depth and stability.

Like I said I have no idea where this draft stuff came from.

#15 dabrowsk1, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Nice backup and he very well might start on that line in KC, but it's not a big deal. We will likely bring in a vet or two for the line after the draft.

This shouldn't be a worry at all...

17. FITM

My point is...all the players the Jets have are late round picks or have gone undrafted. It's a similar situation as in New England, Indy and San Diego. You look for the best backups out of the group in camp and preseason. Not to mention they'll probably grab another offensive lineman late in the draft somewhere.

18. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

What it comes down to is suppossed there is an injury to Mangold. Is the team better off with Smith at center and Woody at RT or Woody at C and Bender at RT.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

Smith was a pretty good backup for us.

The only positive is that Mangold is a badass and I bet they think he'll be a pretty sturdy guy for a career.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

If the CS wanted to keep Smith he'd be signed already. They didn't want him, and they see him practice every day and watch the game film more than we do. Have a little faith.