All this talk about OL and DE/OLB, but what about WR?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyj4ever, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

theyll draft a WR. this draft has quite a few and alot with a 1st-2nd rd grade so one of them might be had even in the 3rd or 4th with our draft position.

if both longs, gholston and mcfadden are gone in some bizarre twist i wouldnt mind seeing limas sweed in a jets uni. but regardless, when coles went down it became obvious that cotchery is the only other reciever on the team whos legit. even then he got shut out due to doubles and nobody else being a threat.

a bonafide playmaker at WR wouldnt hurt.

im all for gholston though. either way good point WR should be addressed in some fashion

but we do have clowney in the mix. theres always a WR who seems to overachieve in camp and get time. thing is they never stand out.

but with a new line the offense should look alot different. SHOULD.......lol

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I say we draft one or trade for roy williams from detroit.

how much would that cost us?

3. Bay Ridge Dave

Bay Ridge Dave New Member

First timer here. Jets fan since 1980.

I don't get the love affair with Coles. JMO, but I think he is very limited, very banged up and is (and want to continue to be) paid #1 WR money. His role should be 3rd down, possession WR these days. The Jets need a tall, speedy WR that can go over top the smaller DBs, and can get yds after the catch.

IMO, if he really starts bickering about his contract, Tangini CANNOT let this fester like they did with Kendall, and not have a solid contingency plan.

4. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

i think bryant johnson is a great option, but i doubt he escapes buffalo without a contract
    as bad off as i think we are, many teams are worse...and he can be a #2 someplace easy
    fa is thin with wr this year...we just have to wait till it raises in priority
    right now RT seems to have risen atop the list

5. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

Coles is not a #3 wr. If the Jets wont pay him he can easily go to another team and be a #1..

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

agreed...RT needs to fortified (hell the entire right side needs to be)....

In a perfect world...the Jets will find a way to trade down from the 6th spot so they can grab a WR later in the first round.

You're probably right....B.Johnson will probably end up in a Bills uniform....it's a shame too....i thought he would be a perfect fit. Cap-wise and production-wise.

I know there's a lot of guys on the forum who think we should trade for a top-tier Wideout (eg. Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, Javon Walker,R.Moss..etc etc)...but all that brings is the strong possibility of locker room problems....we need a wideout with skills minus the attitude. Unfortunetly, that's a rare breed in the NFL.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Coles is a concussion waiting to happen. Too banged up. I think we should trade him while he still has any value.

I appreciate that he plays thru the injuries.....but, to be honest...I prefer to have a wideout that's concussion free.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Okay, good. He's not too slow at all.

Bryant Johnson is alright. He played well in the game at St. Louis last season. He also had good games at home against San Francisco and Cleveland. I remember he made a couple of key catches in those SF and CLE games. That SF game was that horrible one for Cardinals fans where Rackers missed an easy FG in OT. That was the game where Frank Gore ran all over the Cardinals. Adrian Wilson was out and former Jets safety Oliver Celestin had one of the worst performances in the 2007 season. It was a turnstile performance by Celestin- one of the worst performances by a safety in league history.

Johnson can be frustrating because he will drop the easy pass at times, similar to Dennis Northcutt and Justin McCareins. He doesn't do it as often, though.

I'd rather the Jets stick with Coles-Cotchery-Smith as their top 3 WRs and draft one in the 2nd round. If Smith is ever going to become a viable NFL WR he'll start to show it in 2008 or 2009. I think the Jets should enter training camp with Smith as the 3rd WR. If he is not playing well by mid-August and the rookie WR is not yet ready to play, the Jets could make a trade for a veteran WR.

9. Bay Ridge Dave

Bay Ridge Dave New Member

Cotchery is light years ahead of Coles.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I don't know about "light years"....but at this point, he's a better option than Coles. Coles is one stiff hit away from being relegated to Wayne Chrebet status. It's time to trade Coles....let's bring in or draft a guy that's got break away speed and is at least 6'4....

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

good points, Cakes.....I'm also on the Brad Smith bandwagon...that guy is a threat wherever he lines up on offense.

12. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

What about DJ Hackett or Bryant Johnson? Both are capable, fast, and tall

13. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

cotchery is not the same reciever when coles is off the field. Cotch is a great #2 but doesnt have the size or speed to be a great #1, coles is an excellent route runner with great quickness, he also is good at running decoy routes that allow cotch to get eas receptions

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Is Matt Hatchette still around? Big, tall, fast receiver. Oh yeah, he couldn't get open or catch. Other than that, he was awesome.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, this is why I don't subscribe to the theory that the Jets must have a big, tall receiver. The Rams won a Super Bowl with two 6'0" WRs in Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. The Steelers won one with 6'0" Hines Ward and 5'10" Antwaan Randle El. The Patriots won their Super Bowls with Deion Branch, Troy Brown, David Patten, and David Givens as the starters. Givens was the tallest at 6'0".
    The key is to find WRs who can run routes, catch passes, and not embarrass themselves as blockers.
    I'll be very surprised if Early Doucet does not develop into a Pro Bowl WR. This is a player the Jets really should strongly consider.

16. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He'd be a #1 on a team desperate for WRs. He's more of a good #2/great #3 at this point.

17. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

no way... coles is a solid #1 a great #2 and not a #3....its not all about yds and td's and catches, coles does a lot of little things to help this team, how many times did he fight for those extra yards for a first down? he goes over the middle without fear, he lays his bod on the line evry game, and makes up for his size with effort, he is the only 5'10 reciever in the league that get red zone fades thrown to him, and it works!!! he runs great routes and is dangerous in the open field after a catch, i still think he has 2 more 1200+yds seasons left in him if he gets solid qb play and the running game is solid, with play action passing about to be relevant again here with faneca, coles will be even more dangerous

18. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Jackson is a little on the light side...also he's really Ted Ginn Jr redux. Great punt returner. He's not really that tough either.

He wasn't even the best WR on Cal last year. Hawkins and Jordan were.

I like your idea of trading down, but there are better options. Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly for one. Early Doucet of LSU is the other.

Then there is that Randy Moss guy.

19. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Hackett can't stay healthy. Johnson would be a decent pickup, but by no means is he the answer.

If I'm looking for Wr..I'd rather go through the draft.

20. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

No way! Did you not see when Coles was hurt how many drops he had. NO way he is ahead of Coles yet. He is not a #1 wr yet.