Plan to Complete The Defensive Makeover

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KRhodesMVP, Mar 1, 2008.

1. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Yea fair enough, good points all around. Who plays end now? (Assuming we cant get Chris Long)

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Ellis (6'5, 285) and Coleman (6'5, 295).

3. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Im taking Gholston out of scenario number 4, youve convinced me. You havent convinced me that we cant get Long though.

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i would rather have gholston then long....one of my dream players the jets could get would be suggs and gholston could be our suggs/ware

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Its not that easy, i hope your being sarcastic.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Based on what we just signed Jenkins and Faneca for, Rhodes is probably worth 20 million guaranteed the same money Sanders signed for with the Colts just a few months ago 37.5 Million for 5 years. We probably don't have to do anything with him until next off season but I wouldn't want this guy to get to cranky he is the star and key guy on our D now.

The question is are we going to spend all our money on the D side? If we end up trading or cutting Pennington we will have one of the cheap QB situations for a year or two which may allow us to make a serious run if Clemens can step up while he still really cheap? If we add Pace and pay top dollar for a top 10 pick we could be bumping up on the cap pretty fast. We still have a ton of needs on O even with Faneca. We are very mediocre at RB and WR and the QB situation is at best weak.

I actually don't have a problem building one side of the ball to elite but I'm not sure with the current rules that we can put up the points against a well balanced team?

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Agreed, but less mediocre and less weak with a stronger line to provide gaps and time.

8. Quack

Quack New Member

Why Why Why Why WHY?!! Why do people with no football knowledge try to reinvent the 3-4 regularly here? Why is Shaun Ellis constantly overrated to the point where he's talked about as being elite? Why when he was run over by opposing ground games despite being a good pass rusher and solid in clutch situations? Why is Vernon Gholston being talked about as a 3-4 DE? Why do we want to trade up to get Darren McFadden when he fumbles like he's the next Mike Vick and hell, he would probably be available at our pick anyway!

Why do you people make my brain melt?!

I'm 40 years old! I'm a man!

That's why I'm frustrated! I'm frustrated! What else do you wanna know?

9. Jetfanroy

Jetfanroy New Member

So here's the big question that nobody seems to have asked....
    Who's our DC going into 08? Do we stay with Sutton or do we get someone who knows how to run a defense?

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Sutton is here to stay. For now.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Sutton is still here to bring Mangini his Coffee while he plans the D.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think Mangini will take over more of the game-planning and Sutton will just implement it in the game. Sutton will probably be gone in 09, and a 3-4 coordinator or coach will take over.

13. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

Just no. So many things screwed up in this i dont even know where to start.

14. Bawden

Bawden New Member

I thought Coleman or Bowens were brought in for the 3-4 end position? I though Coleman did well enough. The way I saw it was Ellis, Jenkins, Coleman are the three down, with Thomas, Barton, Harris, and Hopefully Gholston/Long at the OLB.

15. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

And why are we drafting Long to replace Coleman? He wasn't that bad, and with Jenkins is play is going to be greatly improved. Rather get Gholston and put him as the OLB pass rusher. But if the did decide to go for Long, it would be better if he replaced Ellis, who is getting old and slow.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the best body for a 3-4 end is the 6-4 to 6-6 guy who is at least 280.....why do you think guys like anthony pleasant, seymour, and to a degree sean ellis play the position effectively. the height leverage is almost as important as weight and you want these guys to be able to get into the QB's eyes.

IMO - most college 4-3 DE who cannot edge rush due to lack of speed are prime candidates for the 3-4 as an end. however, the pool becomes limited cause not many of these guys can handle blocks and hold their gaps at such a young age....

thats why most nfl teams go the FA route to find the 3-4 ends and go to the draft for the 3-4 linebackers.

thats the way i would do it and it appears the jets are as well.

jil

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

BTW - with miami's active FA fest they will take Long with the #1. they have already filled several holes and bringing in Long should give them a decent defense once it gels.

jil

18. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

So everyone is saying that if we somehow drafted Chris Long, he would play OLB for us because his talents would be wasted at end?

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No, what we are saying is that Gholston would be a perfect 3-4 OLB, and his talents would be wasted at DE. And OLB (Gholston) is more of a need than DE since we have Ellis and Coleman, whose play will greatly improve with the addition of Jenkins. But if we did draft Long, he would play DE. IMO replacing Ellis before Coleman, due to Ellis' age and declining play.