Jonathan Vilma Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by plasticsloth, Feb 29, 2008.

1. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

I know I might get seriously flamed for this but I don't care. I want to remember the good times Vilma gave us. When he came in to the league he was on the verge of becoming a top linebacker, until Mangini comes in and establishes a 3-4 completely ignoring the personnel he has and out goes Vilma. I always loved Vilma as a leader and as a player. It hurts a little to see him go but it really is best for the team. Getting what could be a rather good pick next year. Now I have to figure out what to do with my jersey...

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I just told my eight year old and he about choked on his eggos. Vilma will be a beast in NO.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I will miss Vilma too.. I remember in his rookie year when the Jets had a chance to go to the AFC title game he was already the leader and was named the D-ROY... it was a great short time with the 12th overall pick but due to a system change and a very serious injury its time to move on... this is the business in the NFL. Enjoy New Orleans Jon, they need you out there.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You aren't getting flamed man. Vilma was my favorite Jet since 2004. The guy is a beast. He is going to make New Orleans a real contender this year. Good for him. Too bad Mangini wanted to change the ENTIRE defense. Vilma will be missed, I became a little bit of a Saints fan today though. I wish him well no doubt.

5. CYensePHIction

He was good for a while here, but he would not have had the success of his rookie year. I think NO will give him a great opportunity. Thanks for the memories Vilma.

6. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Best of luck to Jon. He's been my favorite PERSON in the NFL.

I'll root for him wherever he goes, like I root for other Canes to do well wherever they are.

I look forward to the day when the Jets make their next coaching change.
    It is difficult to root for people who I think are douchebags.

7. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Villllllmaaaaaaaa!

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Vilma is a great player but as he was Amazing in the 4-3 he was just Average in the 3-4 so Trading him i think is best for the Jets and Vilma , Thanks 4 the Great Seasons man , Best of Luck in New Orleans or Detroit.

9. akibud

akibud Active Member

this one will continue to sting long after Mangini is gone. Vilma will go on to become the darling of the Bayou, and possible put that team on top where they have threatened before. I will certainly be a bigger fan of the Saints from today onward.

10. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Yep, Vilma has been my favorite Jet since he was drafted. I wish him good luck in NO, I think he will tear it up there, and I hope he does. He is a class guy that just didn't fit in the system here. Hopefully we will get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him.

Good lookin out Jon!

11. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Good Luck and you will be missed!

12. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

What goes around comes around. Vilma is seriously due.

I will root for JV wherever he goes.

God's Grace, Jonathan...

13. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

My favourite Jet of all time, I guess this is like when Fleury left the Flames, I will still wear the Jersey proudly and I guess I now have a new second favourite team.

Vilma was all class for his time here and sets the bar on how a player should be and play

14. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

man I would have loved to see him play longer but since it is no longer a possibility. I love'd him to death I hope he has great success in becoming another elite MLB for someone else. I love him and thank him so much for the service that he has provided the team

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

You can't say anything but good things about Jon. He was a hard worker and always tried his best. He was more a victim of circumstance then anything else. Hopefully, his knee will be fine and he can go on to have a great year or years to come.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Vilma was a really good player for us in the 4-3 and never complained when we foolishly switched to the 3-4. He's a class act on and off the field, I love rooting for guys like him, Curtis, Chad. I am glad he's going to the NFC and I wish him well.

17. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Thank god he's in the NFC. It won't hurt so much to see him excell.

Jon is from my hometown and he's also from my native country. Personally, he's been my favorite player since his junior season at the U. The fact that he went to my favorite NFL team made me get into the sport even more (haven't been following the NFL religiously because I wasn't raised in this country...but did start at around the time we drafted Jon).

Vilma will be missed. A shame but I understand the move.

18. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Being a UM fan it was one of the happiest draft days in my life seeing the Jets select Vilma from Miami.

His rookie year was awesome, apart of a wonderful defense, and I remember him jawing pretty hard at Jerome Bettis a lot. Loved his tenacity and speed...

But both Vilma and the Jets realize that the system is not a fit for him...Sad to see him go,but it's for the best.

19. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Have to laugh at people who think we should've kept the 4-3 because of Vilma and D-Rob. How many championships did we win with it? How elite was it in 2002, 2003, 2005? We've had one good year in the 4-3 in recent times and even then it was on the back of boom-or-bust aggressiveness. We still had no pass rush, we still had Reggie Tongue, Victor Hobson and co. stinking up the joint.

Nggg. Just bugs me when people think we should've stayed with a failing defence because it suited two players.

I love Vilma and wish him all the best on his next stop.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Vilma is a stud. I hope he gets what he deserves from NO, just wish we could have supplied his hopeful run towards the HOF. I really hope he achieves that after it is all said in done. Great player, great guy... Atleast I have a NFC team to root for now. lol